Town: Cork
Boat name: Sea Borne
Make: Redbay 750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300 hp O/B
RIBase
RIB Cruise to Scotland

Hi
I am looking at bringing my RIB from somewhere on Nr. Antrim coast possibly Cushendall but open to suggestions, I will be bringing the RIB from Cork by rd. and cruising the Islands of Islay,Jura,Mull.
My RIB is an Excalibur 8.7 wraparound with inboard D6 Volvo Penta. I have being reading with great interest of other peoples cruises and would like some input from other people who may have done this type of trip as to refueling locations and other places of interest.
Old 26 February 2010, 10:58   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Liam and welcome.
Great place for cruising as I am based in Loch Sween at tayvallich. if you are coming from N Ire coast I would suggest you contact my good friend Willk on here as he does that cruise often, and he will know exactly the best popints for refulling and of course enjoying oneself.
Take care and if you are coming over give me a shout and if I am up at the boat hopefully we can meet up for a beer or two on Jura.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 13:51   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Willk on here as he does that cruise often
LOL Jambo - you make me sound like CalMac, a veritable blur of Channel crossings, when in truth my travels have been more limited. We're Back with Intent this year though - soon as she settles for three days!

Welcome to Ribnet, Ribliam! That's a nice trip you have planned there, mind the descent into Cushendall. My squad are all gasoline burners, so I'm not going to be much help re fuelling. Jambo should know if Port Ellen is still tanker supplied - I'd guess it is. The Marina there will be able to advise. My trip over was a no-refuel run from Greencastle. You'd be getting the cheap Irish stuff there. No so at Ballycastle, my suggested launch site if you go from Antrim. The chipper on the harbour (Mortons?) is world class. Don't miss Rathlin for a pint. Be aware that there is no shelter at Cushendall if the East wind blows, beautiful spot though and Harry's Bar is the food stop.

Beware wind over tide around Rathlin and enjoy the mid-channel overfalls!

I'd suggest Port Ellen as your base on the Farside . The marina is well sheltered and well placed in the centre of the village. There's car hire if you want to tour. A good number of the Distilleries be visited by sea and are well buoyed. Note: I disarmed my crew before the visitor experience at Ardbeg.

Pic below of Port Ellen taken from the marina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Ellen small.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	49414  
Old 26 February 2010, 16:29   #4

RIBase
Ah Willk my good friend you do yourself an injustice you are miles better than cal-mac!!
Liam thoght the attched maybe of use to you as it details most of the main places on the clyde and the west. Helful I hope to you too Willk.
Cheers
to both
Jambo

ps I have tried that many times to d/load the file but to no avail! Its called 'Welcome anchorages 2009' you can d/l from RYA Scotland or yaching life
Old 26 February 2010, 17:00   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Thanks for that Billy, that's a useful resource. CLICKY for the pdf.
Old 26 February 2010, 21:22   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Ah Willk my good friend you do yourself an injustice you are miles better than cal-mac!!
Haway witcha ... he doesnt sail on Sundays ahh .... not unless deres some notes involved .. ahh .. and a possible nectar ofcourse
Old 26 February 2010, 21:46   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Yikes, it was Sunday (21 June - Summer Solstice 2009) that we were there. We were pleasantly surprised to be able to avail of a potent libation or two in both the Hotel in Port Ellen and Ardbeg. Lagavulin was staunchly shut. Naturally, I had secreted Emergency Supplies on board...

We had a simulated emergency in the harbour on our return. It's vital to hone your response times, just in case.
Old 26 February 2010, 22:04   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yikes, it was Sunday (21 June - Summer Solstice 2009) that we were there. We were pleasantly surprised to be able to avail of a potent libation or two in both the Hotel in Port Ellen and Ardbeg. Lagavulin was staunchly shut. Naturally, I had secreted Emergency Supplies on board...

We had a simulated emergency in the harbour on our return. It's vital to hone your response times, just in case.
And taking that little tour into consideration your response times would be honed to perfection no doubt!!
btw
Billy

ps you missed one or two stills you must be slipping!!
Old 27 February 2010, 08:16   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Lagavulin was staunchly shut.
Jemeny oh! ... thats the reason I would have gone too .. best secret an emergency crowbar amongst the vittals next time willk
Old 11 March 2010, 20:35   #10

Town: Dumfries
Boat name: MAD BRAD
Make: HUMBER
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 150HP OUTBOAR
hi

ive done the islay jura mull tour a few times from sanda on the kintyre side. Fuel available at Craignish on Jura which now has a new floating pontoon and and at Port Ellen. Fantastic distilleries, Ardbeg by far the best to visit and Colonsay is definately worth a visit. Tobermory now has a new floating pontoon with fuel available.

Regards.
Old 11 March 2010, 22:23   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca24 View Post
hi

ive done the islay jura mull tour a few times from sanda on the kintyre side. Fuel available at Craignish on Jura which now has a new floating pontoon and and at Port Ellen. Fantastic distilleries, Ardbeg by far the best to visit and Colonsay is definately worth a visit. Tobermory now has a new floating pontoon with fuel available.

Regards.
Hi Macca welcome
think you mean Craighouse on Jura, and the pontoon is only there at the jetty during Easter til end Sept while the ferry runs to tayvallich. There is only one distillery although I am partial to all the Islay ones, non surpasses Isle of Jura!!

J