Click Here to Login

Old 05 June 2022, 17:16   #101

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Queens Platinum 10th annual Pasty Run weekender;

Getting soaked on Saturdays bow stuffing… note to self, put waterproofs on before getting on Bobs rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	140777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	140778  
Old 05 June 2022, 22:03   #102

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Yes it was a tough run down from Brixham to Start Point in heavy seas, thence flatter to Eddystone for Lunasea and Jazz: those launching at Plymouth had it easy

There's always the the rogue wave / trough Sump and bilge pump cleared the water quickly.

I,with the correct clothing for the conditions stayed dry If people go out with inadequate layers / waterproofing, they only have themselves to blame

It was quite impressive All captured on the gopro.
Old 06 June 2022, 14:45   #103

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Day one of the Queens Platinum 10th annual Pasty Run weekender saw 7 boats leaving the breakwater Fort for the trip out to Eddystone lighthouse and across to Fowey for a pasty.

Only 6 made the breakwater entrance as we lost one immediately we set off. If anyone finds a Cobra rib, we're lost one without trace, and spend some time heading back and around the area looking!

However we found two more hardy souls who had trave4lled over from brixham, with one of the soaking the crew in the process (who needs to trim when you have a crew) and we were joined by a late comer who caught us up at Fowey. The sun was out and shorts were the main boating kit being seen, and with a nice flatish seas good travel times were maintained. All in all a great cruise in company, with a superb pasty and pint (or mug of tea) enjoyed.

The team ended up in a Greek Tavern for the evening after deciding that they were too old for the sights and sounds of the local Weatherspoon’s, it being full of hen and stag parties!! However the meze and red wine that was consumed to finish the day was well worth the loss of the party girls.

Day two was slightly different with the team being met with F5/6 winds and heavy rain, Salcombe recorded a F9 during the early morning too!!

After a good, long breakfast at the Waypoint Bar and Bistro at queens Ann Battery a decision was made to delay the start and see if the promised weather improvements materialised. After another mug of tea the sky cleared and all was on. Six boats heading out of the respective mariners to see if the sea would play ball.
Plymouth Sound was a little choppy but nothing compared to the wind blown mush on the outside of the breakwater. On the sea ward side it was horrible, with large waves, big holes and wind blown water getting every where. However not to lose the day part of the team were led to the Mew stone, a large island to the Easy of Plymouth for a look at the settlement there whilst the rest explored the breakwater itself. Once those getting et and soggy were thoroughly soaked the team headed off up the Tamar to Weir Quay boat yard. This section of the river is pretty with plenty of wild life and vessels to see with creeks to explore too – but only on a rising tide, we were falling so stayed in the channel, which is plenty deep enough.

An enjoyable tea and cake were taken at the Quay, sitting out side in the sun, before the team headed back down the river, through the dockyard and around the Hoe, looking at what the military had left behind over the years.

As most of the boats were moored up at QAB an evening was spent in the Waypoint, along with live music, where again we showed our age – it was too loud…………

The third and final day saw once again saw the sun out and the wind decreased to a F2 so the team that met up at Jolly Jacks, Mayflower Marina, for breakfast were in good spirits and looking forward to a run east to Salcombe.

Six ribs headed off and were treated to a nice small, lazy swell, following the coast and taking in the sights of the different bays, islands and villages. Arriving in Salcombe more sun cream was applied as pasties and mugs of tea were once again enjoyed, along with ice creams and gin shopping at the gin brewery there. After a good mooch the team headed back West, heading across the bay to Cawsand before heading back to their respective berths, slipways and the trip home.

For those that like the data side of things, we completed around 160nm over the three days, the Honda / 6m Highfield combination used 140l of fuel returning an 1.14 nm / litre or 0.87 litre per mile. If I could work out how to sync the Active Captain I’d probably be able to break this down further if interested.

Next year will see the 11th Annual Pasty run, but will the location be the same? Time will tell..........

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2022, 14:53   #104

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Day one of the Queens Platinum 10th annual Pasty Run weekender saw 7 boats leaving the breakwater Fort for the trip out to Eddystone lighthouse and across to Fowey for a pasty.

Only 6 made the breakwater entrance as we lost one immediately we set off. If anyone finds a Cobra rib, we're lost one without trace, and spend some time heading back and around the area looking!

However we found two more hardy souls who had trave4lled over from brixham, with one of the soaking the crew in the process (who needs to trim when you have a crew) and we were joined by a late comer who caught us up at Fowey. The sun was out and shorts were the main boating kit being seen, and with a nice flatish seas good travel times were maintained. All in all a great cruise in company, with a superb pasty and pint (or mug of tea) enjoyed.

The team ended up in a Greek Tavern for the evening after deciding that they were too old for the sights and sounds of the local Weatherspoon’s, it being full of hen and stag parties!! However the meze and red wine that was consumed to finish the day was well worth the loss of the party girls.

Day two was slightly different with the team being met with F5/6 winds and heavy rain, Salcombe recorded a F9 during the early morning too!!

After a good, long breakfast at the Waypoint Bar and Bistro at queens Ann Battery a decision was made to delay the start and see if the promised weather improvements materialised. After another mug of tea the sky cleared and all was on. Six boats heading out of the respective mariners to see if the sea would play ball.
Plymouth Sound was a little choppy but nothing compared to the wind blown mush on the outside of the breakwater. On the sea ward side it was horrible, with large waves, big holes and wind blown water getting every where. However not to lose the day part of the team were led to the Mew stone, a large island to the Easy of Plymouth for a look at the settlement there whilst the rest explored the breakwater itself. Once those getting et and soggy were thoroughly soaked the team headed off up the Tamar to Weir Quay boat yard. This section of the river is pretty with plenty of wild life and vessels to see with creeks to explore too – but only on a rising tide, we were falling so stayed in the channel, which is plenty deep enough.

An enjoyable tea and cake were taken at the Quay, sitting out side in the sun, before the team headed back down the river, through the dockyard and around the Hoe, looking at what the military had left behind over the years.

As most of the boats were moored up at QAB an evening was spent in the Waypoint, along with live music, where again we showed our age – it was too loud…………

The third and final day saw once again saw the sun out and the wind decreased to a F2 so the team that met up at Jolly Jacks, Mayflower Marina, for breakfast were in good spirits and looking forward to a run east to Salcombe.

Six ribs headed off and were treated to a nice small, lazy swell, following the coast and taking in the sights of the different bays, islands and villages. Arriving in Salcombe more sun cream was applied as pasties and mugs of tea were once again enjoyed, along with ice creams and gin shopping at the gin brewery there. After a good mooch the team headed back West, heading across the bay to Cawsand before heading back to their respective berths, slipways and the trip home.

For those that like the data side of things, we completed around 160nm over the three days, the Honda / 6m Highfield combination used 140l of fuel returning an 1.14 nm / litre or 0.87 litre per mile. If I could work out how to sync the Active Captain I’d probably be able to break this down further if interested.

Next year will see the 11th Annual Pasty run, but will the location be the same? Time will tell..........
I cant help read that in the style of and to the sound of Enid Blyton

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated and a great weekend that was well worth the drive down.
The drive home less so, after ending up in the back of a Citroen C3. Certainly not a highlight!
I'll edit and tweek a few photos and post them up in the coming days.

Look forward to the next time.
Old 07 June 2022, 07:57   #105

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
I cant help read that in the style of and to the sound of Enid Blyton

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated and a great weekend that was well worth the drive down.
The drive home less so, after ending up in the back of a Citroen C3. Certainly not a highlight!
I'll edit and tweek a few photos and post them up in the coming days.

Look forward to the next time.
Glad you enjoyed it and had fun in the Highfield. Sounds like the journey back was a pain - everyone ok I take it?

Hopefully that was after dropping of the toy?

Old 10 June 2022, 22:23   #106

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: BlueBrig73
Make: Brig
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 75
MMSI: 235094739
Barbican chance meeting

Hi guys and girls,

I am just wondering if it was you guys that I met just near to Sutton Harbour on the Saturday as you were thinking of heading to Salcombe... I had just been out past the breakwater and chatted to one of you about it. I was in a Blue Brig Falcom 570.
I have always wanted to hook up for a cruise but never managed to be available. Hopefully I can catch up with some of you guys soon.

Andy
Old 11 June 2022, 19:04   #107
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1rocket View Post
Hi guys and girls,

I am just wondering if it was you guys that I met just near to Sutton Harbour on the Saturday as you were thinking of heading to Salcombe... I had just been out past the breakwater and chatted to one of you about it. I was in a Blue Brig Falcom 570.
I have always wanted to hook up for a cruise but never managed to be available. Hopefully I can catch up with some of you guys soon.

Andy
Almost certainly that would have been us. If you can, you should try to come along on one of these trips. Always good fun with good company.
Old 11 June 2022, 20:49   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
Almost certainly that would have been us. If you can, you should try to come along on one of these trips. Always good fun with good company.
Agree, always more fun in company, kep am eye on RIB cruises, or post trips you are intending to do, I'm sure others will want to join.
Old 12 June 2022, 08:21   #109

Quote:
Thanks, I will definitely try to join one soon!
Old 12 June 2022, 08:23   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Agree, always more fun in company, kep am eye on RIB cruises, or post trips you are intending to do, I'm sure others will want to join.
I will definitely keep an eye on the forum and try to catch up with some of you soon.
Old 12 June 2022, 15:37   #111

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Queens Platinum 10th annual Pasty Run weekender;

Cheers for organising please make in Plymouth next year for #11

By the way is there a walk on pontoon at Salcombe or was it visitor mooring
Old 12 June 2022, 17:04   #112

Hi Rick,
Good to meet you last weekend - your 6.8 does look good.

There is a walk ashore pontoon - Normandy Pontoon at Salcombe. Short stay - technically 30min, but I've never known it enforced that tightly It can get pretty busy.

Also option to tie up of visitor pontoon and get taxi / tender ashore.

Cheers
LT
Old 14 June 2022, 13:25   #113

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Sorry it was a fleeting visit but yeah - was good to finally meet. Pretty sure we will find an excuse to meet up somewhere else on the south coast
Old 14 June 2022, 17:31   #114

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Pretty sure we will find an excuse to meet up somewhere else on the south coast
Starting to think of August play dates, bank holiday weekend is looking like Torquay but some where mid month is the plan if the weather holds.

July is already busy with Fowey and then the Sail GP activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Cheers for organising please make in Plymouth next year for #11
The 11th pasty run will be starting in Plymouth, but where it goes is up for debate!!

Old 14 June 2022, 22:01   #115

[QUOTE=treerat;854100]Starting to think of August play dates, bank holiday weekend is looking like Torquay /QUOTE]

Maybe ice cream at Lyme / Westbay
Old 14 June 2022, 22:17   #116
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Starting to think of August play dates, bank holiday weekend is looking like Torquay but some where mid month is the plan if the weather holds.

Get a spell of weather like we're having at the moment and Alderney would definitely be possible.
Old 15 June 2022, 06:42   #117

Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
Get a spell of weather like we're having at the moment and Alderney would definitely be possible.
I am frustrated that work is stopping me doing that run today!
Old 15 June 2022, 06:43   #118

Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
Quote:
July is already busy with Fowey
What's that then?
Old 15 June 2022, 15:22   #119

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
What's that then?
A number of the team that were there on Sunday are booked into Fowey from the 23rd July for the week. I'm going to launch Plymouth and go join them for a day or two before heading back for the Sail GP.

Old 17 June 2022, 16:16   #120

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Honda BF90
Did any photos/videos appear from this weekend?