Old 27 May 2004, 19:20   #1

Town: London
Length: no boat
PopBeach Great Yarmouth

Anyone know anything about access by boat to Channel 4's PopBeach at Great Yarmouth, June 6th?

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...es/P/popbeach/

This is a pop concert staged on the beach close to Great Yarmouth Pier. Sounds like a family day out!

Whats to stop me and my kids anchoring off the beach and listening in, maybe watching??

Thanks for any information.
Old 27 May 2004, 19:54   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
See you there!
I was there last year in my little SIB. We anchored a few meters off the beach with a load of other boats, no questions asked. This year will be better (not least that I have a bigger RIB now!) becasue of gatecrashers last year, they are turning the stage round to face the sea! This means we will have an even better view!
Which slip do you plan to use - I have had a look at the one in Yarmouth (next to the lifeboat station) but it looks terribly narrow, steep and slippery.
Old 27 May 2004, 20:30   #3

Lets party....

Hmmm, sounds like a great opportunity! Whats to stop the paying public from swimming (or drowning) out of interest? Must get very crowded on the beach.

I have no idea about slips - don't know the area at all. I don't see the one you mention on boatlaunch? I see Bure Marine in GY?

Does the Yarmouth slip look OK for a 4x4? Any parking?

BTW Tim, made it to Cromer - I now know ALL the North Norfolk slips intimately!

Thx
Old 27 May 2004, 21:03   #4

The Yarmouth slip as I said looks nasty. The other problem is the road it is attached to isn't that wide, so might make reversing very nasty (espcially with a 6m like yours!). As for a 4x4, not sure. Depends on the tides - whereever the water goes there is a lot of seaweed which looks very slippery, so I woulnd't fancy it my self. It might be worth phoning the greatyarmouth RNLI station for advice - they have a gift shop which is never very busy, so I am sure the person working in it would be pleased to give you advice! As for carparking, there's a pay and display next to it.

The only other slip in Yarmouth is the one at Bure whatever it's called as you say. Its very new (last year), and I havn't tried it yet, but whenever I phone for details I never get a responce.

There are three other options, which I am still considering.
1. Use the slip at Lowerstoft - £10ish I think, which is about 10 miles away by sea.
2. Use the slip at Sea Palling - £15, and for that they will launch your boat with thier tractor (it's suicide even for a 4x4 - I've been there!). Again it's about 10 miles by sea, but the trip is a bit more interesting!
3. Launch at Reedham (which is a village on the broads). This will get you about 6 miles as the crow flies (and it's fairly direct by river thanks to a lovely stright canal). Reedham is free I think, but you will need a broads day pass (about £3 I think, and you can do it over the phone and get them to post it to you). There are no locks or low bridges to contend with, just a trip through the infamous Bradon water (keep in the channnel!!!) and into the sea.

I'll try and check out the Bure slip this saturday and let you know.
Old 01 June 2004, 13:19   #5

Gorleston slip

I spoke to the coxswain at Gorleston (GY) lifeboat stn. He said that launching /recovery on the slip at Gorleston (thats the one next to the stn that you mentioned) is no problem although he suggested launching on a rope rather than manouvering down. He said there's a useful handrail at the top! Never done that before maybe good experience!

Let me know what you're thinking of dong Tim, I'll probably follow your lead.

Low tide is 18:15, recovery +/- 2hrs. On that basis, I'd probably recover at 16.00 rather than the other side.

Rich
Old 01 June 2004, 14:02   #6

Beach Rock a better option...

Hmm, talked to someone else local. Recommended against Gorleston mainly because at weekends the very narrow road at the top gets blocked with traffic. He suggested Anglia Boat Yard - but said this would most likely be very busy or Beach Rock Leisure at Sea Palling, tractor launch, as you suggested. Spoke to them and they expect to be busy too, but shouldn't be a problem (parking might be but trailers stay on beach).

Now I'm thinking that may be the best option. About 30 minutes away from GY.

Rich
Old 01 June 2004, 14:09   #7

I think I'm probably going to go for the Sea-palling opion - I wouldn't want to do a rope launch without a hand winch or something.
There's a few car-parks in sea-palling, even when it gets really busy you can noramlly find somewhere to park.

Does anybody know what time the concert actually starts and finishes?
Old 01 June 2004, 17:14   #8
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
I understand it starts at 2.30. Gates open 12.30.
Might cruise over and listen in!

Ozz

Line-up:
Jamelia
Blazin' Squad
Big Brovaz
Lemar
Ash
Shaznay
Goldfrapp
Blue
Javine
Speedway
McFly
Supergrass
Emma Bunton
Peter Andre
Girls Aloud
Old 01 June 2004, 17:44   #9
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: yanmar
maybe not - I was thinking Isle of wight not Norfolk! Gets me every time!
Old 01 June 2004, 23:33   #10

and finishes at 18.30 according to my daughter....