Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Flatacraft
Make: Flatacraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp (OB)
Send a message via MSN to stu1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
hi stu and its a shame we will miss you as will be leaving a week before you, i reckon we could get a load of ribnetters there next summer which would be good

Hey Roy, look forward to meeting you down there, just hope the weather is kind
that would be good seeing some other ribsters to point me in the right direction
ive never been there so does any1 now wat the slipway, beach, sea, is like also is this the place any good to learn to ski (and does it get ruff on that sea) oh and wats the girls like
Old 09 March 2006, 21:36   #22

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
well the slipway is a bit of beach and they launch you using a tractor, so take your boat insurance with you and ten quid for the launch, good for skiing and learning, lots do it, will pm you my number so you can call and i will give you the lowdown on the site

the local guys will give you the low down on the girls

me i will be munching on Alice's pie
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1288
that would be good seeing some other ribsters to point me in the right direction
ive never been there so does any1 now wat the slipway, beach, sea, is like also is this the place any good to learn to ski (and does it get ruff on that sea) oh and wats the girls like
Old 09 March 2006, 22:02   #23

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Hi im booked in at pentewan sands on june 17th-25th will any body be there during this time as this may be the first outing on the sea in my rib

if any wants to meet up there it would be good 2 do so

thanks stuart pm if need be
Will happily meet up on the 17th or 18th if you want some company for your first coastal cruise.

Quote:
The slip is like canvas mats on the sand - but they put the boats in and out using a tractor - quite a slick operation to be honest.

The sea can get pretty rough and if you end up with winds of southerly through to easterly all week you may not get any skiing there at all.

There are places you can go up or down the coast to find shelter from wind and to be honest mixing in a bit of coastal cruising to find some sheltered water adds some extra adventure to the day anyway.

Definately contact me when you are down - I am only available weekends and ocasional evernings but I can certainly fill you in on some of the best places to go.

In my opinion the best cruise you can have in cornwall is from where you are at pentewan to lands end - the coast all the way is spectacular and as you round the lizzard and on to lands end is really raw and rugged with the odd jewel of a beach/harbour to explore on the way. Its about 60 nautical miles from pentewan to lands end so not for the feint hearted but easily doable in a 5-6m RIB in a long summer day. (I have done longer trips in a 4m RIB) as far as i know there is no pontoon baot storage along that bit of coast at all other than carrick roads so there is not much choice other than to do the trip there and back in one long day (but what a day)
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2006, 22:15   #24

Hey Roy

it would be good if you could do a little document for all us visitors of places to go and where to slip in etc along that neck of the woods. i am thinking along the lines of you that if it is a bit rough at pentewan i would take the boat further along so i can get in and still enjoy a days boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Will happily meet up on the 17th or 18th if you want some company for your first coastal cruise.

The slip is like canvas mats on the sand - but they put the boats in and out using a tractor - quite a slick operation to be honest.

The sea can get pretty rough and if you end up with winds of southerly through to easterly all week you may not get any skiing there at all.

There are places you can go up or down the coast to find shelter from wind and to be honest mixing in a bit of coastal cruising to find some sheltered water adds some extra adventure to the day anyway.

Definately contact me when you are down - I am only available weekends and ocasional evernings but I can certainly fill you in on some of the best places to go.

In my opinion the best cruise you can have in cornwall is from where you are at pentewan to lands end - the coast all the way is spectacular and as you round the lizzard and on to lands end is really raw and rugged with the odd jewel of a beach/harbour to explore on the way. Its about 60 nautical miles from pentewan to lands end so not for the feint hearted but easily doable in a 5-6m RIB in a long summer day. (I have done longer trips in a 4m RIB) as far as i know there is no pontoon baot storage along that bit of coast at all other than carrick roads so there is not much choice other than to do the trip there and back in one long day (but what a day)
Old 09 March 2006, 22:34   #25

Quote:
Hey Roy

it would be good if you could do a little document for all us visitors of places to go and where to slip in etc along that neck of the woods. i am thinking along the lines of you that if it is a bit rough at pentewan i would take the boat further along so i can get in and still enjoy a days boating
he wants me to write a book

Ill knock up a little map of the carrick roads area to show where you can ski in each wind direction. As far as the rest of the "uncontrolled" open coastline - its just a case of finding a headland and tucking behind it.

To be honest if you are going to be skiing and theres any wind thats not coming from the north west your best bet is to get up early and do a 20 mile jaunt down to carrick roads and spend the whole day there. you have fuel, pubs, chandlers, trago mills, ski areas that are sheltered etc... everything you could ever want...
Old 09 March 2006, 23:09   #26

If the wind is from the north west then you are just as well to stay near pentewan - but if it goes east or south east head down to carrick roads.

There is easy access fuel just pull up and fill up at mylor + chandlers at falmouth and mylor.

I look forward to seeing you all down here...

below is a quick diagram of places I ski in certain wind directions. Molunan beach is by the green area nice spot to anchor and have a beach bbq.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterski.gif
Views:	209
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	17829  
Old 09 March 2006, 23:39   #27

heres a taste of the coastline around the lizard peninsula

this shot is of kynance cove

below is the minack theatre another remakable site on the coast just before lands end

Myself and Bob and Sue (randski) ran past here on the way to the scilly isles at 9am on christmas eve - i even grabbed the web cam images as we went past.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stage_200512249418930.gif
Views:	191
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	17830  
Old 10 March 2006, 08:16   #28
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
heres a taste of the coastline around the lizard peninsula

this shot is of kynance cove

below is the minack theatre another remakable site on the coast just before lands end

Myself and Bob and Sue (randski) ran past here on the way to the scilly isles at 9am on christmas eve - i even grabbed the web cam images as we went past.
You'd be amazed how difficult it is to find Kynance from the sea, especially for a " Blue chipless" wonder like me. From half a mile off that bit of coast looks all nasty cliff. It's a total jewel once in there though.
Old 10 March 2006, 10:29   #29

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Stunning pics Roycruse

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2006, 16:24   #30

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Nice pictures,
Really looking forward to it now. Hope the weather holds. Last time we took a holiday down that way we were at Woolacombe Bay and if it wasn't raining it was windy, and if it wasn't windy it was bloody cold!
Old 10 March 2006, 18:38   #31

just been chatting to stu from bromsgrove and he is looking forward to the trip as well

thanks for posting the pics roy, much appreciated and the mrs loved em
Old 11 March 2006, 16:58   #32

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Pentewan today. Looking very empty and cloudy.

First attempt with my new camera

http://media.putfile.com/A-Cloudy-Empty-Pentewan
Old 11 March 2006, 17:20   #33

Who ever was wavin' that camera about must 'ave pissed as a mattress!!
Old 11 March 2006, 17:28   #34

Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
Who ever was wavin' that camera about must 'ave pissed as a mattress!!
I told Sue to lay off it till later
Old 13 March 2006, 12:40   #35

http://www.mevagissey.net/meva.htm

The Harbour
Mevagissey is a working harbour, but welcomes visiting boats and can offer diesel fuel, fresh water and moorings at the following rates.
Casual charge, eg 2 hours for lunch - £1
Overnight charge, boats up to:
20 feet - £4.00
21' to 30' - £6.00
31' to 40' - £7.00
over 40' - £9.00
There are about 10 visitor berths available.

cant seem to get phone number of the harbour master, can anyone local help as not come up with it on google
Old 13 March 2006, 12:49   #36

Length: no boat
Yer Tis, 01726 843305
Old 13 March 2006, 13:17   #37

cheers for that Kernow

i just spoke with the harbour master and the fee for a week at the harbour is 42 quid, funny that, 7 x 6 = 42....so no discount!!!

they wont be busy then so perhaps striking a deal closer to the time is in order

using the launch at the campsite is 10 per day so maybe a mixture of the two is in order!
Old 13 March 2006, 19:00   #38

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Quote:
the fee for a week at the harbour is 42 quid, funny that, 7 x 6 = 42....so no discount!!!

they wont be busy then so perhaps striking a deal closer to the time is in order

using the launch at the campsite is 10 per day so maybe a mixture of the two is in order!
Hiya,
Wonder if he would do two for the price of one.
Could allways raft up if space is limited. According to Reeds theres a slipway into the inner harbour. Will make up my mind about launching when I'm there. Rob H said the drying bits are bad for ribs, solid granite apparently .

Where abouts can I find Kynance Cove? Cant seem to find it, and I havn't got my charts in yet.

Tim'mers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mevagissy harbour#001.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	17907  
Old 13 March 2006, 19:08   #39

Kynance Cove

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...=100000&icon=x
Old 13 March 2006, 19:12   #40

Stand in the middle of the street in Meva with ur arms out stretched and you can almost touch both sides! You wouldn't wanna drag a Rib around there in summer. Kynance is on the West side of the Lizard just around from Lizard point between Goongumpus and Pooganooga.