Old 11 January 2005, 15:31   #1

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Paimpol Fuelling

Hi All,

Thinking about a jaunt in early spring if this wind will b*gger off and wondered if anyone had been to Paimpol and could tell me what the re-fuelling situation is there......i.e. do they have petrol!

I have more than enough to go and come back with 60ltrs spare, but not a huge lot more for pottling around should the fancy take me.

Any other suggestions regarding hotels and the town much appreciated.

Ta

P
Old 11 January 2005, 17:32   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Charles should be able to help you out.
If not look at this site:
http://www.paimpol-restaurant-du-por...edia_bleue.htm
It is a 360 degree webcam of the marina-spot the petrol pump?
If not it is a bloody good recommendation for the Restaurant-du-Port !!
Old 11 January 2005, 18:42   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Not related directly to your query ! But we're hoping to make it across to St. Malo this year and might visit the beautiful Channel Islands on the way.

We'll do a separate thread to receive advice & see if anyone else is interested.

Us
Old 11 January 2005, 19:01   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi. Paimpol is lovely and well worth a visit, although so far we've only been there by car. Reed's 2005 suggests there is petrol at Quai de Kernoa. If you do a search on Google you'll find a couple of informative tourist sites. How good's your French?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2005, 19:59   #5

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Go there regularly but not sure about the Petrol will ask the father in law who lives in Lezardrieux and let you know.

Dom
Old 11 January 2005, 23:08   #6

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Hi Pettal,

I'd be very keen to go back to Paimpol. Was there a couple of years ago as a WAFI and liked the place. My guess (only) is no petrol but as the town is built around the port and it's very flat, I don't perceive that to be a problem. We carry 4 x 25l cans and I'm certain you could beg/borrow a trolley for half an hour.

I'd prefer to buy fuel from a garage anyway after my experience of dockside petrol at St Vaast at the beginning of May last year.

Obviously you need to get your timings right regarding the lock gates. The other thing to avoid is the fairground which was set up around the harbour while we were there. First week of June ?

ATB

Brian
Old 12 January 2005, 08:22   #7

Thankyou all for your help/suggestions!

It's funny, but I've never been down to Paimpol.....driven within 10 miles of it, boated past it, flown over it.....but never been in it or to it. So I thought it was about time.

As I said without spare cans (I have 2 20ltr and 1 25ltr can's) I should have enough to get there and back with 50-60ltrs of spare fuel so it's not a major concern, but would be handy if they have a dockside pump to save any of the hassle.

I'd been warned about the gates and seemed pretty similar to Guernsey's gate systems (well apart from the new St Sampsons ones....Island joke!) and should aim to arrive Paimpol at around 2hrs before high. I've also been checking the old waypoint directory to see what the approaches are and suprised that it's not as dificult as I'd first imagined!

I was aiming to go down on one of those nice crisp days in Feb/March when it's flat calm, but makes ya eyes water a bit at 40knts!

If anyone wants help/information for a trip to the Channel Islands I'm sure between us we can answer any and all of your questions!

Louise: My French is basic but passable and understand a lot more than I can speak.......mainly due to the alcohol intake when I'm there probably!
Old 12 January 2005, 09:30   #8

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Paimpol

Fuel is NOT available on the water at Paimpol, no problem though, nip around the corner to Lezardrieux, fuel berth in the corner at the end of the first row of pontoons. If you're in the area you might as well go there anyway as its quite beautiful cruising up the river.
Getting in and out is pretty tricky, aim for 1 hour before high tide, preferably not neaps. It is very flat with loads of oyster beds, cray pots(markers) etc - be VERY careful. Paimpol, is one of my top ten places - its very pretty!

I will be planning a big cruise to this area during 2005. I will e-mail you a couple of hotels we have stayed at later this evening.

Charles
Old 12 January 2005, 11:17   #9

Thanks Charles!!

Very helpful......does the Trieux dry out at all!? If so what's the best state of tide to get in there!?

From my waypoint directory it seems pretty straight forward but doesn't mention much once your into the estuary, is it well marked and easy to get into the marina/harbour!?

Ta

Ian
Old 12 January 2005, 13:08   #10

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
The river does dry out, only from about half way up or down depends on which way you look at it. The beginning reaches of the river is deep and no problem way past Lezardieux. ENSURE you stay in the bouyed channels passing Ille de Brehat.
Paimpol:
Once you have cleared the large rocks to s/board, you have approximarely a 2 mile run up to the lock at Paimpol. It is not very well marked, hence the fact if you do stray out the channel I recommended 1 hour before high to allow enough water under the hull as it is scaringly shallow and you WILL hit a sand-bar - potentially get stuck. Don't let me put you off though, it is all common sense when you get there.
Let me know when you are thinking of going, might just join you if suits.
Old 12 January 2005, 13:21   #11

Sounds pretty straight forward, basically make sure your on a rising tide and don't leave the marked channel!

I think even in my idiot stakes I can manage that !!

Not sure when we are going, but will give you a shout if you fancy it.

Ta

Ian