Old 26 October 2008, 22:26   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Orkney 09

I go to Orkney every year around June for a week, usually doing something different each time like diving or motorcycling or whatever, it changes each year what we go up and do.
Next year I am intending to take the RIB up and go round all the North Isles by boat, staying on a different one each night.
There are good harbours and facilities on each island, well sheltered and with helpful locals every time I have visited.
Lots of things to see that are difficult to get to without a boat on outluying islands, certainly if you are into neolithic or viking era ruins there is no shortage!
Anybody else fancy the trip? Will be a week launching from the North somewhere on the mainland and using the boat to move between islands each day.
The rough plan is to organise B&B's each night and either harbour or moorings. I don't intend to stick to a rigid schedule (it isn't needed off the mainland) but to have all the numbers handy and arrange each day where the day will end up depending on weather and availability and what we fancy.
If anyone is interested in getting involved, helping plan and coming along Iwill be looking in November at serious planning such as dates and stuff.
Anybody interested let me know before I start committing to anything like dates, routes and suchlike!
Old 29 October 2008, 02:41   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Which route would you be taking to get up there as there are a couple of uphill tight corners that would be interesting whilst towing a couple of tonnes or do you recon it should be ok?

I think I may have to try start planning an alternative tow vehicle as the sisterinlaw would go ape we took her car for a week or so....lol plus the Shogun runs out of puff quite easily

Ive got a mate up in Kirkwall so it would be a good chance to catch up and go for a swally of course!

(might be interested)
Graeme
Old 29 October 2008, 15:58   #3

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Bruce , I'd like to register an interest , but it's bl**dy long drive from Essex so I'd probably like to confirm at the last minute , assuming there was half-decent weather window ! I have towed to Oban before but I guess that's just better than half way !
Old 29 October 2008, 18:45   #4

I would go up to Inverness and straight up the A9 from there. The worst bits of the road ar north of helmsdale but have been straightened out and widened considerably in the last few years. There are still a few bad bits were the road dips down to sea level and back up sharpish though.
This road is not the worst I have been on, had the old RIB up as far as Cape Wrath a few years ago, this is just as twisty and single track to boot!
I will be looking at dates etc by the end of the year, almost certainly in middle to late june as this is normally the best weather window in my experience if you want sunny and dry.
You are only a few hours longer to the North compared to Oban, you are three hours or so from the M74 to Oban on a good day. From there going north on the A9 you would just about be in Inverness with another two-three hours to go from there. The road is better till north of helmsdale.
Old 23 November 2008, 15:25   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Alrighty, looked at my rota and im going to be on the ship for this so unfortunately I cant come

Graeme
Old 26 November 2008, 22:43   #6

Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Hi
Thought about going to Scotland in 2009,main thoughts was to visit fingals cave Staffa, but not planned anything definite so far, need a date to plan too and to see if Holiday slots are free at work, love to scuba around northern Isles will look for updates
Stuart
Old 27 November 2008, 23:25   #7

I will probably take a single cylinder for each of us as well. Looks like some noce diving around the islands. I have been in contact with Orkney dive club and they have said they will give me some sites before I go.
date is still not decided, was waiting to see if any others were interested as I am fairly flexible as long as I have enough notice.
Sometime in June is the preferred time as weather in Orkney is generally not bad then.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:16   #8
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I'd love to do this but will only know nearer the time. I can't dive due to having a small hole in the wall of my heart after an operation so I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on the boats and doing some togging.
Old 28 November 2008, 18:25   #9

I will only "probably" take dive kit, depends on who or what is coming plus space.
Old 28 November 2008, 21:34   #10

I had a look at the charts tonight for the area as I had flown over the islands earlier this year and could see the bottom all the way across.
Since the bottom seems to be 5-20m deep this is good viz!
I will look at my oncall obligations monday and pick a week unless anybody else has a preference?
Old 12 December 2008, 17:41   #11

I am now looking at going week starting 20th June as June is usually a good month in Orkney.
Since there has been limited interest I won't be posting planning details online but anybody is still welcome to contact me if they are interested.
The plan at the moment will be to drive round the mainland to the north isles and then jump between them all week staying in B@B's. No rigid plan just going where the weather and conditions are best and where beds are available (not usually a problem on the isles)
There is lots to see if you are into diving, ancient monuments and nice scenery plus a bit of relaxation.
Old 19 December 2008, 09:55   #12

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Hi Bruce, sounds like a plan, if it comes together I'm up for it, diving as well. Can't think of anything better if the weather holds.
Old 23 December 2008, 20:11   #13

If the IOM trip comes off this would knock back Orkney to August...........
Old 24 December 2008, 14:59   #14

All good with me, we're away for two weeks in february and then intend to stay in the UK rest of the year and use the RIB/go diving or get away on the motorbike.
Old 10 January 2009, 22:37   #15

Now decided on booking a house near Evie and operating from Orkney itself for the week. The trip has been moved back to August due to the Wales Meet and we will be booking a house within the week as a base.
Old 11 January 2009, 11:14   #16

Town: SE England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
The road is better till north of helmsdale.
The ONLY bad bit is at Berriedale but enough caravanners go up and down it so shouldnt be a worry
Old 11 January 2009, 11:16   #17

Town: SE England
Check out the new ferry the Pentalina http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/ you will find it cheaper than the Scrabster Stromness ferry
Old 11 January 2009, 11:53   #18

We always use Pentland, its slightly faster and much cheaper. The new Cat should now be in service which will be even faster and carry much more.
Old 14 January 2009, 21:23   #19

We are now confirmed 15th August onwards booked in a cottage near Evie. I have booked the ferry as well via Pentland Ferries as usual but due to a quirk in their charges it is very expensive. We may be cancelling and going with Northlink depending on the response tomorrow as Northlink are much much cheaper than the £314 for the boat, car and two folk that Pentland want. I am surprised at this as Pentland are usually cheaper but they say the boat trailer at over 7m long is a commercial trailer and have charged accordingly Oh, and the cat that was supposed to be in service last year when we went across in June is still not in service!
So thats the plan, going up and across 15th Aug, staying near Evie and going out to the islands launching from Tingwall, maybe doing the odd dive, visiting various islands and sites, having one day trip round Hoy to see the Old man and visit Flotta etc at some point during the week.
Thats the basic plan for thise interested still to be fleshed out either by just us or whoever else is coming as well.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:22   #20

Hi Bruce,

Still very keen on this trip. I've blown my engine, posted on earlier thread if you want the sad details :-(

I'm in the process of stripping the engine to find out what the problem is, and more importantly what the cost will be. As soon as I'm up and running again I'll confirm all this with you.

Slight hitch in the finances as I'm getting married next month and a new engine doesn't seem to be at the top of the list. Still don't fully understand this........... :-)