Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Upcoming RIB cruises
Click Here to Login

Old 15 September 2010, 21:22   #1

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
North Wales RIBnet Easter cruise - 23 April 2011

It's another of those threads that will morph over time.

Anyways, some members have jumped on the idea of a cruise for all based in N.Wales as there appear to be a few of us that boat in the area from around the country. With such spectacular scenery right on the end of a good road network, it would be criminal not to try and organise something. The conwy cruise to IOM early this year was popular, but got blown out, though even then, many appeared.

Target market for Main day of 23rd. Everyone. Sibs, large ribs, small ribs, all nationalities, even french, just. More a day to get everyone together and see loads of boats. (Day before or after, Ribs able to cruise at 20mph ish in a chop, may want to go round the island or to Abersoch and back, but V weather dependant.)

Location: Anglesey, Menai Straits, Specifically starting by Menai Bridge/Beaumaris. End of the A55 for ease of access.

Destination. If Calm Morfa Nefyn, Ty Coch pub, google it is enough. Pass through the two famous bridges, Menai Suspension Bridge (largest suspension bridge in Uk i think) and Brittania bridge, one of Britains most famous stretches of water. Heading past Snowdon on the left, Stately home Plas Newydd on the right, past Caernarfon Castle and the sand dunes of Abermenai, all in a 10 mile stretch. Then over the bar and on to morfa nefyn, Ty Coch pub for either beer/bbq or beer/food. If rough we can either head NE to avoid South or Westerly winds, to Puffin Island to see seals with a stop at high tide on return at Beaumaris for fish and chips, pier and beach available to raft up, then Gazelle for beer/pub lunch, jetty and runners available. Or if Northerly and Easterly winds, we can head SW, heading on the same route but stop short at caernarvon for pub lunch, or to Abermenai for bbq. Caernarvon has jetty/marina to tie up to, or if really bad port dinorwic, marina and pub also.

Date 23rd of April. (25th is Bank Holiday, as is the following early 2nd May Bank Holiday.) High tide Menai Bridge around 3.15pm. The following week end low water is mid day. It's early in the season but heh, got to start somewhere and the weather early this year was the best.

Launch: Primarily Porth Daniel at council slip and Beaumaris at their slip, though more tidal limited, both of whom I will contact to see what they can do for us both boat storage and launch wise. Some larger boats may go for conwy, but it is v tidal dependant and a fair way away. There are also other places which will be mentioned within 5 miles, caernarvon and opposite for example. Also, for sub 5m and sibs, Gazelle Hotel is great and again i could speak to landlady also. That's where I'll be. Beaumaris too has a slip by the RNLI shed, but is tidal limited, great place with space, ideal for SIBs??

Fuel: Diesel on site at both. Petrol on site at Beaumaris and nearby garage at Porth Daniel.

Accomodation: is everywhere in both Menai and Beaumaris, plus campsites and other hotels nearby on Anglesey and mainland.

Here's hoping
Old 16 September 2010, 08:41   #2

If you let me know whose interested so i can keep an eye on numbers.

Plus if you'd like storage and or to launch at either:

Porth Daniel
Beaumaris

(Though you can launch at menai on your own anyway if not wanting storage or help)
Old 16 September 2010, 11:19   #3

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
i would be up for this but st georges day is my daughters birthday, i have a while to work on the wife though so it should be ok,
Old 16 September 2010, 11:41   #4

great day for charging round wales!

So far

Me
Mark g 6m+ 150
Old 16 September 2010, 11:51   #5

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
i would be up for this but st georges day is my daughters birthday, i have a while to work on the wife though so it should be ok,
see told you he would be up for this

think i,l get on to mary at the gazelle (main suite) lol... great food

so thats 4 so far paul
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 12:45   #6

The separate annex with veranda patio is excellent for a family! It will get booked early though.

Will list people below so we have an idea of boats going. As i mention. Day before or after, on the Fri or Sun I'm going to go on a bigger run, weather providing. On the Sat though, the main event as it were, i think anyone who can plane is welcome. I'll happily chug at 15mph to Morfa Nefyn if calm and keep an eye on sibs etc. Be there in 2 hours. It's 24 miles to MN. 9.5 to Abermenai/Caernarvon Bar. Some can go ahead anyway and get beers in. A couple of hours there and then head back for evening in a pub. Gazelle is my choice! If staying in Menai or Beaumaris it is a taxi less than 2 mile away after you've put boat away. Or moor up and join us.

Figure we leave just below half tide at mid day. Give people time to drive down and launch on the day if they wish.

Me 6.3 175
Mark g 6m+ 150
Tony T 6.5 140 ( underpowered in his ribquest(ionable))
Kerny 5+ 70
Old 16 September 2010, 14:10   #7

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
The separate annex with veranda patio is excellent for a family! It will get booked early though

shhhh dont tell everyone
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 14:14   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Any idea what the Gazelle charges for a double room per night Paul / Tony ?
Old 16 September 2010, 14:32   #9

cmon kerny, google?

£90 double with sea view and full breakfast in the newly refurbed restaurant.
Old 16 September 2010, 14:41   #10

just emailed the landlady to see if i can swing a discount. Will let people know.
Old 16 September 2010, 15:01   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
cmon kerny, google?

£90 double with sea view and full breakfast in the newly refurbed restaurant.
Oh so thats what googles for cheers rooms look great .
Old 16 September 2010, 15:31   #12

It's not just "go ogle"!
Old 16 September 2010, 17:36   #13

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
Sounds great Paul, I'll let you know if I can make it once I've sold the Zodiac and got a new boat.

Do you have to register for a full year with the local council to use the slips you mention or can you just pay on a daily basis? I seem recall reading somewhere about this.
Old 16 September 2010, 17:59   #14

Town: leeds, England
Boat name: RIB Tickler
Make: AVON SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 50 HP
Excellant, Will have the sr4 ready for then.
Old 16 September 2010, 18:31   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
It's not just "go ogle"!
Old 16 September 2010, 18:56   #16

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
I'm up for it, count me in, pretty much did the runs you mention May bank holiday just gone, excellent time had by all
Old 16 September 2010, 19:32   #17

Good going guys!

Me Humber 6.3 175
Mark g shakespeare 6m+ 150
Tony T Ribquest 6.5 140 ( underpowered in his ribquest(ionable))
Kerny seapro 5+ 70
Neil Mccrirrick Humber 5m 90
Rib T SR4 50
Bam Bam TBC?

That's enough for a cruise already!
Old 16 September 2010, 19:34   #18

https://www.anglesey.gov.uk/doc.asp?catid=4255

Anglesey launching
Launching fees for power driven crafts / personal watercraft

A launching fee for all powered driven crafts is required at the following slipways and access points: Traeth Bychan, Beaumaris, Trearddur Bay, Rhoscolyn, Rhosneigr, Bull Bay and Menai Bridge. This can be on a daily or seasonal basis.

What are the fees for 2010?
At the slipway:

Daily fee: £13
Seasonal fee: £130
From the council direct:

Daily fee: n/a
Seasonal fee: £130

A discount of £40.00 on the seasonal launching fee may be applied for by people who have a recognised power boat handling qualification. The discount is available by postal application or by application in person at the Council Offices in Llangefni and is not available on the slipways.

Please see the PDF document below to see the list of recognised qualifications.
How to pay

The seasonal and daily fees can be paid directly to the slipway attendants at the above sites.

You can also pay the seasonal and monthly fees:

* by post (please send a cheque, not cash)
* in person at the Highways, Transportation and Property reception desk (cash and cheques accepted)

Please make cheques payable to "Isle of Anglesey County Council"

For our full contact details and opening hours, follow the see also link at the bottom of this page - "Contact Maritime Services". For information on how to find us, follow the see also link at the bottom of this page - "Find the main council offices"
Daily launch permits

Launchers who do not take a seasonal launch permit will be required to register before launching. For details on registration, please follow the relevant link on the left.
Registration scheme for power driven craft / personal watercraft
From 1st April 2010 all powered craft launchers are required to register their craft prior to use of the authorised slip ways or access points.

The registration will require all powered craft launched in Anglesey to have valid insurance and to be registered. Registration will be required for each and every powered craft, even when owned by one person.
How do I register?

It will be possible to register at the County Council offices or through the slipway attendants at Traeth Bychan, Beaumaris, Trearddur Bay, Rhoscolyn, Rhosneigr, Bull Bay and Menai Bridge.

You can also register by post. For a copy of the registration form, please see relevant the link in the left-hand navigation.

You will need to provide proof of identity and proof of adequate insurance cover. Minimum insurance cover will be third party £3 million.
How much does registration cost?

From the council direct - £15
At the slipway - £20

Customers who do not buy a seasonal launch permit with their registration will need to pay the registration fee plus the day's launch fee on their first launch. On subsequent launches they will only pay the daily fee.
Where can I launch?

Launching registrations are valid for use at all Anglesey County Council's launching facilities, as listed below. In addition, registrations are accepted by Gwynedd County Council, Conwy Borough County Council and Denbighshire County Council without further registration or payment.
Authorised slipways

Trearddur Bay Slip way, Traeth Bychan Slip way, Rhosneigr access point, Rhoscolyn access point, Beaumaris slip way, Menai Bridge slip way (Porth y Wrach) and Bull Bay.

Registration and launching fees are required for all the above sites.
Restricted slipways

Llaneilian slip way,Sandy Beach access point, Holyhead Sailing Club slip way, Lligwy beach, Church Bay, Penrhos beach (Holyhead), Bol Sach slip way (coast guard slip way, Holyhead), Cemaes Bay and Fryars Bay.

Registration required - other charges may apply.

Note: No exceptions permitted to the above restricted slipways without the permission of the maritime officer or his nominated deputies.
Advantages of the registration scheme

This scheme offers considerable advantage to any Anglesey registered launchers because Conwy, Denbighshire and Gwynedd county councils will accept Anglesey registration.

This means, for example, if you decide to go to Gwynedd for the day instead of Anglesey then you won't be required to register again in Gwynedd as in previous years and pay their registration fee. All you will have to do is pay their daily launch fee.

This scheme, where a registration is valid for all four areas, offers the advantage of an ultimate sanction against launchers who create constant problems of any kind by the withdrawal of registration for effectively the whole of North Wales.

To reassure you on this point, the action described would only be utilised under extreme circumstances as a last resort against those who will not comply with bye-laws and local regulations.
Old 16 September 2010, 20:01   #19

RIBase
Quote:
It's not just "go ogle"!
Don't know what you mean..
Old 16 September 2010, 20:19   #20

slip fees at menai and beaumaris

Kerny, you launched at porth daniel recently. Have you registered with Anglesey? How much did you pay to launch?

Beaumaris, ABC marine isn't council owned. They charge about £10 to self launch/recover. £25 for a tractor launch and recover. Or £25 for a week end storage, 3 nights and you can launch yourself whenever you want.

Access is 3 hours either side of high tide. Would suit that day of 23rd!!

Might be able to negotiate a deal too. Will contact them.