Old 27 March 2006, 13:04   #21

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Hi Roy
Not sure I going to be able to make this one, snowed under at work, and all weekends tied up until mid May

April 1st evening my Birthday bash
April 8th, 9th working in Edinburgh
April 15th, 16th Wedding in Liverpool
April 21st, 23rd Working in Farnborugh
April 29th, 30th Stagg weekend wakeboarding in Milton Keynes.
May 7th 8th free
May 11, 12, 13 Wedding Weekend in Bedford
May 14th RibEx

Shaggy
Old 27 March 2006, 14:25   #22

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
April 7th and 8th we are doing a demo with Blue Water Marine in Salcombe.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2006, 22:44   #23

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I love long range forecasts

I really wonder why they even bother sometimes. You look at a day 10 or so days ahead and it will have perfect conditions predicted - then a couple of days later they are forecasting force 6 and torrential rain for that same day then a couple days later its back to good conditions again.

Anyway

Weekend of 8th / 9th currently has a really crappy forecast. but the 13th / 14th 15th look fine.

the 15th i have a bloody wending to go to
the 14th is my wife's birthday (but she probably wont mind if i take off for the day)
the 13th is my step mothers birthday (but i don't mind missing the early stages of that)

how is everyone else fixed for those days (bear in mind that it is long range forecast so all could change again by then so don't go taking any holiday from work or anything)
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2006, 14:17   #24

Aghhh

The forecast has flipped a bit again now.

This week (in fact right now) would have been perfect. Damn I hate work.

Sunday 9th is currently showing 13mph westerlies - I guess this is doable. Is anybody else up for this Sunday

Randski - Is your vehicle capable of pulling your boat (and mine) up a firm sandy beach and are you available Sunday.

Alice - are you about - with your L200 - hows your boat is it going to get wet this year or what.

The Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th currently look ideal for those that don't have to be at work. Any takers for those dates (i am off work )
Old 03 April 2006, 19:09   #25
Now back to being Mollers!

Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Have a heap of family staying this weekend Roy. If you need the truck, you're welcome to keep it for the weekend. I'm looking at another one tomorrow, so might have a brace for a day or two.
Old 03 April 2006, 20:10   #26

Very kind offer to borrow your truck - but I have a rule never to borrow anything I cant afford to replace if I brake it

I have a number of people threatening to come on this trip who have access to 4X4 - I'm just waiting for one of them to confirm.

Forecast is showing Saturday and Sunday suitable now.
Old 03 April 2006, 23:10   #27

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
I'm just waiting for one of them to confirm.
Sorry roy is that me you are waiting on . I was waiting for a date to be decided then I can let my mate Know .

Changing the subject a little , i used to launch my 1.5 ton small yatch using my transit van and a winch mounted on the tow hitch . It felt a lot safer than using a 4wd on a slippery slipway. I made the winch from a trailer winch a short length of steel and a ball hitch coupling . Would this get you launched at newquay I still have it and never use it .
Old 04 April 2006, 10:12   #28

Not just you Ian - i have other people with 4X4 that i have asked - as long as one turns up on the day it will be cool.

The problem with newquay is that there is a slip (well ramp really) that goes down from the car park to the beach. It is at right angles to the water. at high tide in a spring this is very awkward as the water is up to the base of the ramp so your boat is being knocked from the side by any swell. For this reason i would never recommend launching at spring high tide there.

normally you simply use this ramp to gain access to the beach which is a firm sandy beach with a near perfect gradient for launching a boat. I used my normal front wheel drive car there a couple of times to launching my 4.2 humber. I needed a rope to get it out but it wasn't too bad.

The problem you will have with a winch is that if you car is on the concrete slip you are nearly at 90 degrees to the direction you need to pull the trailer in and also if its low tide - the distance between ramp and the water is about 50m which is probably too long for your winch.

by far the easiest way to launch there is to drive the boat and trailer straight down the ramp with a 4X4 and use the beach as you would a normal slipway.
Old 04 April 2006, 20:36   #29

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse

Randski - Is your vehicle capable of pulling your boat (and mine) up a firm sandy beach and are you available Sunday.
Launching (and recovering) no problem, been on that beach a number of times.

Not sure about Sunday yet, will let you know later in the week hope to be available
Old 04 April 2006, 22:04   #30

I see what you mean Roy . Iam used to the luxury of the slip at Saltash . For those of you who don't know it there is a deep water pontoon there where you can moor the boat and walk ashore to your car , and its free inc the parking . Nice big waterski area just upstream that is very calm and sheltered with little beaches to land on .
Old 05 April 2006, 18:21   #31

The forecast is now looking a bit strong for a north coast trip this weekend.

But it will be sheltered on the south coast - think I may take a trip from falmouth up to looe and do a spot of wreck fishing on the way.

I was out at st Agnes today looking out over the sea in what was supposed to be 6-8 mph northerlies - and the sea looked pretty lumpy... Nice conditions for playing in - not so nice for a 80 mile round trip with a boat full of passengers who don't want to get wet.

Next suitable day looks like Tuesday 18th April. Current prediction 5mph east south easterly winds and 18 deg air temp - crikey it will feel like a summers day.

Don't know what other peoples availability is for the Tuesday ??? hopefully a few can wangle a day off work.
Old 05 April 2006, 19:06   #32

Quote:
The forecast is now looking a bit strong for a north coast trip this weekend.

But it will be sheltered on the south coast - think I may take a trip from falmouth up to looe and do a spot of wreck fishing on the way
Will pick you when you get to St Austell Bay Roy
Old 05 April 2006, 19:08   #33

Quote:

Next suitable day looks like Tuesday 18th April. Current prediction 5mph east
Don't know what other peoples availability is for the Tuesday ??? hopefully a few can wangle a day off work.
Sounds good
Old 05 April 2006, 19:16   #34

Roy my mate with the Landy will probably only manage weekends , he is a very busy electrician .

Iam sat here now thinking I should take tomorrow off and work at the weekend , why should i feel guilty about doing that ?? its something that gets to those who are their own boss I guess you become your own slave driver ?
Old 05 April 2006, 20:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Will pick you when you get to St Austell Bay Roy
Sorry Bob - cant work out what you said in this post.

Was it either

"Will pick you up when you get to St Austell Bay Roy"

or

"Will join when you get to St Austell Bay Roy"

or was you saying something else ?

If you mean your going to meet me out in St Austell Bay which day (sat or sun) is best for you - it makes no difference to me and I think the weather is about the same both days - and what time do you want to meet up.
Old 05 April 2006, 20:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
Roy my mate with the Landy will probably only manage weekends , he is a very busy electrician .

Iam sat here now thinking I should take tomorrow off and work at the weekend , why should i feel guilty about doing that ?? its something that gets to those who are their own boss I guess you become your own slave driver ?
It is really getting to me as well - the light winds and dry conditions - only thing that is any comfort to me whilst sat at my desk is that the air temp is still bitterly cold.
Old 05 April 2006, 20:51   #37

Quote:
only thing that is any comfort to me whilst sat at my desk is that the air temp is still bitterly cold.

Well I have just come in from the workshop and High water tomorrow at midday will be too much to resist especially since I found out Saturday how well my boat goes with just me in it . I should be able to launch alone , never tried it yet , and I still haven't got my trailer .
Old 06 April 2006, 09:00   #38

Town: Nottingham
Boat name: Boxer
Make: Quicksilver 450R
Engine: Mariner 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
I should be able to launch alone , never tried it yet .
Thats an interesting point, what is the safest way to launch on your own ?
Old 06 April 2006, 09:22   #39

I always launch and recover on my own - this is because I usually do all my boating with only my 7 and 8 year old kids. Although now my oldest is starting to take an interest in helping me.

In the summer its easy as I'm only in shorts and flip flops so you can jump out in waist deep water and man handle the boat on to the trailer but in winter when you are in normal clothes with say only a pair of wellies on the following technique allows me to launch and recover without getting my feet wet.

Launch.

I prepare the engine to be lowered and ensure key and kill cord are inserted.
I wrap the painter around the trailer and climb into the boat with the end of the painter in my hand.
I then depending on conditions and state of tide either just let go of the painter and the boat rolls off the trailer or I lower it slowly by feeding out the rope at a controlled speed.
Lower the engine - start her up and then head for the nearest pontoon to tie up whilst I park the car and trailer.

Recovery.

Tie the boat to a pontoon and lower the trailer into the water. I then pull out enough of the winch strap and lay it on the trailer.
Get the boat and drive it up to the trailer.
This is the tricky bit - I then leave the engine running and in gear on tick over so that it stays on the trailer whilst I climb round and attach the winch.
I then winch the boat partly on the trailer before climbing back in the boat to cut and raise the engine.
Then winch the boat fully on and I'm away.
Old 06 April 2006, 22:09   #40

I bet that had you sweating the first time you did it Roy .
Well what a lovely day , did I get out ? no all my mates working

I did however get my trailer and fit it out with wood bunks and an outboard support . I had the main beam left longer so that I could fit a wooden block with a deep V in it on a removable clamp to support the outboard .

Now to practice the launching on my own . Could be interesting if the tide is running at saltash .