Old 17 May 2005, 14:14   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
la rochelle

Anyone been RIBing here?

I'm thinking of going in a few weeks (with trailer) so any advise or comments appreciated. Specifically launch sites (boatlaunch does not cover europe, right?). I have all the required paperwork.
Old 17 May 2005, 17:15   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Daniel

I spent 10 days last year at a place called St Jean De Mere which is about 30 minutes (driving) north of La Rochelle, the harbour there was a drying harbour with a 6 hour or so tide window in and out, all the moorings were swinging so a tender would be necassary, the harbour fee's for visitors were so small it worked out about £35 for a week

The slip way there looked good and easy to launch and recover, the harbour office was on one corner and psoted tides and weather daily for the area on a notice board.

Only downside i could see was they didn't actually have a compound to store a trailer in so you'd have to take it to where ever you were staying and ask nicely and you'd need to have a small tender to get on and off the boat.
Old 17 May 2005, 18:11   #3

Thanks Richard,

I have reason to be in La Rochelle it's self, i'm supporting a sailer friend of mine in the Tornado World Championship there.

The almanac mentiones a slip in the "port des minimes" marina but first hand knowledge is better than any almanac!
Old 17 May 2005, 18:14   #4

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Sounds very exciting Daniel!

We look forward to any reports on the area as we hope to do some exploration of nearby waters (slightly North of there) in the summer.

Us
Old 17 May 2005, 20:27   #5

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Thanks Richard,

I have reason to be in La Rochelle it's self, i'm supporting a sailer friend of mine in the Tornado World Championship there.

The almanac mentiones a slip in the "port des minimes" marina but first hand knowledge is better than any almanac!

Sounds cool, there is a big marina at La Rochelle so one has to assume they do have a slipway there too, have you tried and internet search for marinas there, might turn up a phone number for a marina !

If you get bored i can recommend the aquarium at La Rochelle, especially the shark tank
Old 18 May 2005, 08:13   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Daniel
If you go to the Downloads Section, click on Marinas in France, scroll down to La Rochelle, you will get the phone number of the Harbour Master, the VHF calling number and the tide entry and closing times.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
have you tried and internet search for marinas there, might turn up a phone number for a marina !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
to La Rochelle, you will get the phone number of the Harbour Master, the VHF calling number and the tide entry and closing times
Thanks guys, i have an almanac and have now called the marina in question and yes i can use their slip, for a charge. Did nto know about that info Brian - our vey own online almanac which is now on my PDA for the future!

Now, which do we think will last longest - the soggy mouldy wet almanac from about 2003 somewhere in the bottom of my RIB or my PDA when used on my RIB?
Old 18 May 2005, 22:47   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
which do we think will last longest - the soggy mouldy wet almanac from about 2003 somewhere in the bottom of my RIB or my PDA when used on my RIB?
Silicone case and an aquapac... the PDA will be fine - honest!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2005, 15:45   #9

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Plaything
Make: H2O
Length: 7m +
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
Very interested in this area as buying a holiday house in Tranche Sur Mer, 30-40 minutes North of La Rochelle.

So if any one has has any knowledge of other moorings around this area would be very interested. There are loads of bays with swinging moorings in both Tranche and St Annes. Anyone know how to book one for the summer ?
Old 20 May 2005, 10:30   #10

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
I have launched at Minimes with no problem at all -huge slipway.The HM was very keen that the trailer was kept attached to the car -not really sure why.

Have a look at North Biscay Pilot Book which is very helpful.

I have also launched at Les Sable D'Olonne a few times.there are 2 good cheap slipways.

If there 's been a blow a large swell can result (out of the islands shelter) so the HM's always have a swell forecast which should be noted

The pilot book also refers to a potential dangerous entrance at the southern end of Ille D'Oleron -the Pertuis de Maumusson