Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Join the Thames flotilla for Queen's Diamond Jubilee

A 1000-strong group of boats will take to the Thames next year in celebration of the Queen's 60-year reign and your boat could be one of them.

The Thames will be transformed into a blaze of colour, noise and pageantry to mark the Queen's diamond jubilee in 2012 – and there's a chance for boaters to get involved.

Sunday 3 June 2012 will see 1000 boats from the UK, Commonwealth and around the globe travelling between Putney and Wandsworth in a procession expected to last five hours or more, headed by the Queen's royal barge.

According the chair of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Commission, Lord Salisbury, it will be "the largest Thames flotilla for 350 years". London Mayor Boris Johnson, also present at the event's launch at City Hall, said the procession will include "everything from barques to caravelles to oyster smacks to junks. Which particular craft I'll be piloting rather depends on how things go in the elections. I could end up in a coracle, although I'm hoping for something a little more substantial."

Conceived as a focal point for the four-day bank holiday celebrations of the Queen's 60 years on the throne, the pageant will be funded by private donations and sponsorship. Pageant master Adrian Evans predicted that some 30,000 members of the public will be on the boats that make up the flotilla and announced that there will be spaces open for boatowners to join in.

"We're going to be taking applications from members of the public who want to take part in the flotilla," he said. "Essentially we know it's going to be very much over subscribed but we are looking for boats that offer something unique, that represent a certain area of Britain or the Commonwealth. But the basic requirement as it stands is that the boat should be able to get under Tower Bridge and maintain a speed of four knots."

Details on applying for a position on the flotilla will be available on the official website - www.thamesdiamondjubileepageant.org

The flotilla will be made up of five sections, each separated by a "herald barge", the first of which will be a floating belfry of eight new bells cast by the Whitechapel Bell foundry in east London and commissioned by the 17th Century City Church of St James Garlickhythe.

Other barges will feature water jets and sprays - reminiscent of the old Thames firefighting boats. There will be live entertainment and music from the six decades of the Queen's reign, while a pyrotechnic barge hosts daytime fireworks and a mechanical flame-spitting dragon.

The royal barge, carrying the Queen and the rest of the royal party, will be a specially adapted Thames sailing barge, stripped of its masts and outfitted with luxurious coachwork. "I believe there was a plan at one point to have Her Majesty transported in a quinquereme rowed by oiled and manacled Members of Parliament, but I'm pleased to say this appears to have changed," said Johnson.
Old 19 January 2012, 14:26   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Chris,

We've just recieved confirmation of being in the pageant, are there separate mustering/launch areas for the safety boats and non-safety participants? We'd be coming from Leicester and need a slip to launch a 7 metre RIB. Would be good to know of any other ribnet ribs safety or otherwise on the day - will have to order flag/burgee from JK & Co, we'll have to fly a BSAC one too I suspect.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2012, 13:50   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Chris,

We've just recieved confirmation of being in the pageant, are there separate mustering/launch areas for the safety boats and non-safety participants? We'd be coming from Leicester and need a slip to launch a 7 metre RIB. Would be good to know of any other ribnet ribs safety or otherwise on the day - will have to order flag/burgee from JK & Co, we'll have to fly a BSAC one too I suspect.
Doo keep up old bean
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2012, 14:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Doo keep up old bean
No we're in it! we're not doing safety cover, was wondering if CJL could give us the inside curve on any relevant useful info.
Old 18 April 2012, 15:55   #5

Went down the smoke for a rehersal this weekend, all passed off ok, no safety boats in sight!

Asked JK for freeby burgee but so far no news, must be on holiday. It was on telly too;

Recreational Motorboat Squadron Rehersal

Loads more pics will put em up when I get them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0566.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	67295   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0646.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	67296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0664.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	67297  
Old 18 April 2012, 17:48   #6
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
No safety boats planned for the Recreational Squadron I'm afraid.

Your on your own if you sink!

Chris
Old 18 April 2012, 18:47   #7

OK! Nice to have been thought of! If we do get any Hoorays drifting past us we'll pull em out and give you a shout!
Old 18 April 2012, 20:19   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
No safety boats planned for the Recreational Squadron I'm afraid.

Your on your own if you sink!

Chris
Just steer clear of the Drascombe Lugger owners club then...

They'll be there-and I'm not joking. I had the misfortune of sharing a pontoon with them last year in Fowey for a few days.

Their tally (about 9 boats, over 3 days) was:-

T-boning everything without exception while coming alongside. We were going to suggest paint markers on the bow to identify who rammed who.

They insisted on taking the entire pontoon because they didn't like rafting up,even though they'd only reserved half of it then complained loudly when I went in the only space they left which was in the middle of their reserved patch.

One whose idea of nav lights was an all round red halfway up his mast.

One dismasted himself on a tree.

An absolute lack of any kind of tide or weather awareness-they wanted to sail to Lantic Bay and have a beach picnic in a F6 Southerly.

The 'organiser/president' (not quite sure what you'd call them-Commodore is an insult to anyone using the title) had one with a cabin which apparently they went all over the place in. However, after 20 years of ownership she was 'about to get a handheld VHF for Christmas'. This would have made them the only boat with any radio equipment at all.

And to put the icing on the cake, one utter moron rammed my rib at full throttle causing damage and did a runner meaning I had to wait 3 hours for him to return.His excuse was 'Well, my engine will only run at full throttle'.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 12:01   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
will have to order flag/burgee from JK & Co
Quote:
Asked JK for freeby burgee but so far no news
So you're not going to order one then?

PM me your address and I'll see what I can sort out.