Click Here to Login

Old 04 March 2005, 07:47   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Plaything
Make: H2O
Length: 7m +
Engine: mariner 225 optimax
Guernsey - quick blast tomorrow Saturday 5 march

Anyone fancy a spin tomorrow ? Depending on the weather can decide tomorrow if to stick to east / south coast or go across to Herm / Sark. Would have liked to go across to Carteret but wind forecast is too strong.

Thinking of leaving fueling pontoon at boatworks at 11.

Alan
Old 04 March 2005, 11:31   #2

Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Pro Sport
Engine: Suzuki 250
I would love to, but I'm working both days this weekend. I need to get all the overtime in possible, to pay for the electronics on my new boat.

The engine arrived Wednesday, boat should be out of the mould next week and deck done/maybe console + pods fitted. Tubes are on the way and all of the upholstery is done. I saw Jason yesterday and he's pretty confident on having it complete by the end of the month.

I'll be out of the island until the end of the month, bar a couple of days here and there, but I'll get in contact towards the end and hopefully arrange something.

Speak to you soon
Old 04 March 2005, 11:46   #3

Sounds like good progress. What engine are you having fitted ?

Will I be able to keep up ??? Doing an Instructors course in the UK next week so better do some practice stuff this weekend....have to pretend to be competent!

Old 04 March 2005, 12:47   #4

Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Pro Sport
Engine: Suzuki 250
I've gone for a suzuki 250, I've heard so many good reports about them there really wasn't a choice to be made.

Should be pretty even between our boats, your opti may even have the edge on my 4 stroke (especially acceleration). what top speed are you getting?

Jason said the last 7.5 with 250 they did was doing 50 kts on the gps, I'll be happy with that.
Old 04 March 2005, 13:21   #5

At the moment about 45knots is the max I have got to on flat water (flat water whats that), may get a little more playing with the trim or changing the prop. But starts to become interesting at this speeed! Around 40 is fine and to be honest happy with the set up and speed/acceleration I am achieving. Fuel consumption at this speed is around 12gph. This halves pretty well if I dropdown to mid 20s.

As I want to tow some toys in the summer will probably leave the set up as is. I would suggest you get Jason to agree to change the prop on the Suzuki in line with your own boating requirements, rather than what comes as standard.

Agree the Suzuki engine should be excellent with better fuel economy.

Looking forward to seeing you on the water.
Old 04 March 2005, 14:05   #6

Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
My boat is just back in the water, so I would love to get out tomorrow if possible, but I have a few childcare issues as the grandparents are away.

Might be able to get out for a quick spin. If I'm there I'm there!

BTW I'm gettin up to 48kts on teh GPS with a 200 2stroke V6 Yam, would probably go a bit faster with the right trim etc as it has revs to spare at the top.
Old 04 March 2005, 14:16   #7

Yep Ok, will be fuelling up at 11 so maybe . No problem and thanks for responding.

I have been on a diet since Jan, had my hair cut, been eating lots of beans and bought some cool shades.. so maybe I will be able to go a little faster now ?

I have around 500 rpm still to find as to date only pulling a little over 5000rpm.Sounds like mines bigger than yours (I really must grow up ). Sorry bored at work and want to go home.
Old 04 March 2005, 14:29   #8

Got a new 4hp auxiliary to try out too, so if I have to bring the kids I'll be touring the marina at 4 kts instead...

If I can wrap enough clothes round my boy he might be able to come, but only if its flat...
Old 05 March 2005, 16:12   #9

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
A big thank you to Alan and his mate today for helping me when my elephants trunk fell off!

Not mightly impressed that something like that should fall off 4-5 months after delivery!

Luckily I managed to get the boat home under forward momentum and got most of the sea out (I'd say water but it was a bit more than that!). I phoned two of my mates on the way back in and they jumped on whilst I was at speed and took over the controls and bilge duty whilst I tried again to re-attach the trunk. After five minutes of frustration, swearing and soaking wet.......I managed to twist it on.

Not and easy job.......and bl**dy cold on all fours, armpit deep in water at this time of year!!!

The trunk is now securely fixed with a large jubilee clip! Might I suggest that anyone else with a XS-Rib do the same as I'd hate for anyone to be out on their own and suffer the same problem.

Anyway, it was a nice day out before that!!

Thanks again Alan!!
Old 06 March 2005, 11:31   #10

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
The trunk is now securely fixed with a large jubilee clip! Might I suggest that anyone else with a XS-Rib do the same as I'd hate for anyone to be out on their own and suffer the same problem.
Had the same problem on a Tornado - again reccomend other owners do the same.
Old 07 March 2005, 16:27   #11

Cheers for Saturday Alan, can't believe I didn't twig who you were considering you give your full name as a login!!

Sorry I had to turn back, but it was nice to get out for a quick blast in company for the first time out this season. Got the prop out a few times going down the East coast so I think the boats going OK....

Give me a shout next time you're out, I generally need some notice, but weekend afternooons are normally OK.
Old 07 March 2005, 18:01   #12

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
Not mightly impressed that something like that should fall off 4-5 months after delivery!..........

........Not and easy job.......and bl**dy cold on all fours, armpit deep in water at this time of year!!!............

............The trunk is now securely fixed with a large jubilee clip! Might I suggest that anyone else with a XS-Rib do the same as I'd hate for anyone to be out on their own and suffer the same problem.
Sorry to hear about that Pettal I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it!! Quite strange though as mine came with the a big jubilee clip around the elephants trunk, so maybe the guys at Barnet just forgot, not like them though!!

Any pics of the day out?? Got your backrests yet?
Old 08 March 2005, 10:24   #13

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Hi Steve,

Yup a bit worrying, if you got a clip then maybe they just forgot to put mine on!?

Either way it has one now!

Nah, forgot to take the camera out......which in hindsight wasn't such a bad idea!

I'm gonna order my new seats at the end of the month as I'm a bit skint at the moment. But looking forward to sticking them on!