Old 27 March 2009, 18:17   #1

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
First Cross Channell.....

Hopeing with the usual suspects to do a cross channell jaunt later in the 'Summer'[fingers crossed we get one!]via the Channell Islands.This being the first time, be glad of any tips and advice the Sages of 'R.N' could inpart!!!Dates pretty flexable,with main criteria being a decent weather window.
Looking at camping on the 'old mainland'...well we did USED to own it!! ha!
Probably looking to leave from the Solent area and do things over a long weekend.
Old 27 March 2009, 18:43   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Walk in the park, just take some sandwiches and a flask.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...derney&page=26

and a quick video,

Pete
Old 27 March 2009, 19:12   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hopeing with the usual suspects to do a cross channell jaunt later in the 'Summer'[fingers crossed we get one!]via the Channell Islands.This being the first time, be glad of any tips and advice the Sages of 'R.N' could inpart!!!Dates pretty flexable,with main criteria being a decent weather window.
Looking at camping on the 'old mainland'...well we did USED to own it!! ha!
Probably looking to leave from the Solent area and do things over a long weekend.
If you're going to be visiting French ports, you'll need to get your paperwork in order.
Old 27 March 2009, 21:40   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
im game!!!
Old 27 March 2009, 22:13   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Check out the channel light vessel data here

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Just move the mouse pointer over the arrow at the bottom/middle.

You can tell EXACTLY what the conditions are mid channel.

And yes the crossing is simple in good weather. It can feel a bit lonely on your own - only spotted 3 ships and 1 yacht - and they are some of the busiest shipping lanes in the World!!!

It can also be very cold - 26C in Guernesy - 26C in Weymouth - brilliant sun - it was down to 12C in the middle - take a ski mask even in summer.
Old 28 March 2009, 10:43   #6

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
First channel crossing is always exciting, especially when all you can see for 360 degrees is water. In order to make the crossing a non-event/boring preparation is key. When I did mine I spent hours on the boat checking nuts, fuel lines, levels etc etc until I could find nothing to do.

Make sure you have spares for everything possible and the tools to make the change.

I assume you'll be in company in which case all work off the same nav points and stay in reasonable distance of each other. Agree to pair up or travel in a group and agree the cruising speed. In a cruise it's important to know what the other boats happy cruising speed is as there's nothing worse than seeing your buddy boat disappear off the horizon at 50 knots where you can only do 25.

Even if it's cloudy make sure you have sun protection on as I've done a few crossings in cloud only to arrive looking like a lobster. Keep a few chocolate bars in your pockets and water to hand.

Make sure your crew are keeping an eye on engine gauges and navigation as many eyes will spot problems. Everyone should be looking at the sea ahead of you for nets / bits of wood / trees and make sure they tell you. I've had a few close calls when my crew "assumed I'd seen something".

Take a camera and beer money. There's nothing like the first beer when you arrive in port.
Old 28 March 2009, 10:53   #7

I need to see your papers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
If you're going to be visiting French ports, you'll need to get your paperwork in order.
This is one of the points I'd like to clarify,what are the essential papers we need to carry in case we get stopped on the French side? Thanks for the good advice so far!
Old 28 March 2009, 11:45   #8

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Having been boarded by the French customs and police a few times here's what they appear to care about...
  • SSR
  • ICC
and if they can be bothered
  • Insurance
and have never been asked for
  • Passport
I would also take a VAT certificate with you if you have it just in case. In reality you should have all of these to hand when setting foot in France.

Also take a good smile and a decent handshake and a basic knowledge of French so as not to piss them off.
Old 28 March 2009, 11:53   #9

I thought we were talking 'chanell' not 'Atlanttic' It's only 50 odd miles from your part of the Country.

The Scillies are 60 from here, ok half of it is following the coast. With more than one boat and VHF comms you'll be fine. Bad weather will be the limiting factor. Big seas will stretch the journey time accordingly and increase the fuel consumption. Making sure that petrol is available at destination ports is a must. Running low on fuel is a real worry, we tend to carry a lot of extra which is best avoided if poss.
Old 28 March 2009, 13:57   #10

Quote:
I thought we were talking 'chanell' not 'Atlanttic' It's only 50 odd miles from your part of the Country.

The Scillies are 60 from here, ok half of it is following the coast. With more than one boat and VHF comms you'll be fine. Bad weather will be the limiting factor. Big seas will stretch the journey time accordingly and increase the fuel consumption. Making sure that petrol is available at destination ports is a must. Running low on fuel is a real worry, we tend to carry a lot of extra which is best avoided if poss.
Not too concerned about the logistics,and certainly done more distance, but would rather pre-empt any problems with over zealous officials.....Like YOU said... better to have your paper work in order!
A clever man learns by his mistakes.... a wise man learns by other peoples!!
Old 28 March 2009, 14:39   #11

Quote:
Not too concerned about the logistics,and certainly done more distance, but would rather pre-empt any problems with over zealous officials.....Like YOU said... better to have your paper work in order!
A clever man learns by his mistakes.... a wise man learns by other peoples!!
Fuel would be the the 'logistic' that would be very high on my list, otherwise you might not make as far as Mr. 'over zealous'. Petrol is becoming a rare commodity on the waterfront these days.

A 70ltr capacity tank would to tight enough on a 50Nm trip should the sea kick up and transfering from cans whilst being chucked about is no fun.
Old 28 March 2009, 14:51   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
If fuel capacity of the main tank is a concern and you suspect you'll be refuelling at sea, then think about rigging a changeover valve into the fuel line (before the primer bulb), with a second feed from a portable fuel tank(s), rather than spilling petrol from a jerry can all over your foot/crew.
Old 29 March 2009, 10:24   #13

Quote:
Fuel would be the the 'logistic' that would be very high on my list, otherwise you might not make as far as Mr. 'over zealous'. Petrol is becoming a rare commodity on the waterfront these days.

A 70ltr capacity tank would to tight enough on a 50Nm trip should the sea kick up and transfering from cans whilst being chucked about is no fun.
OBVIOUSLY!! fuel IS a very high priority,which haveing been 'PRETTY ESSENCIAL' in my 30yrs pluss on the water,I would OBVIOUSLY make adiquate provision for.As I said -not too worried about the LOGISTICS,more interested in paperwork needed[which you so helpfully pointed out would need to be in order,but did'nt seem to have any knollege concerning]
Also I would very much like any tips on suitable campsites,ameinities,ect, on the French side.
Now, if you have any experiance or opinions on THESE I would be most gratefull to hear them.
Old 29 March 2009, 10:36   #14

Quote:
OBVIOUSLY!! fuel IS a very high priority,which haveing been 'PRETTY ESSENCIAL' in my 30yrs pluss on the water,I would OBVIOUSLY make adiquate provision for.As I said -not too worried about the LOGISTICS,more interested in paperwork needed[which you so helpfully pointed out would need to be in order,but did'nt seem to have any knollege concerning]
Also I would very much like any tips on suitable campsites,ameinities,ect, on the French side.
Now, if you have any experiance or opinions on THESE I would be most gratefull to hear them.
If you have spent 30 yrs on the water, how come your 'knollege' is so limited? Do you have memory issues? Perhaps this would explain why you have the spelling skills of a 9yo.

'Jardons' come and go on this site, you have certainly grabbed the mantle with both hands.
Old 29 March 2009, 12:06   #15

Quote:
If you have spent 30 yrs on the water, how come your 'knollege' is so limited? Do you have memory issues? Perhaps this would explain why you have the spelling skills of a 9yo.

'Jardons' come and go on this site, you have certainly grabbed the mantle with both hands.
Sounds like you need to get the boat out!and do some 'bobbing about' Chris!Commendible takeing on the completely voluntary,and obviously time consumeing post of Chief Of Spelling police though.
Maybe you missed your vocation.
Old 30 March 2009, 00:02   #16

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Anyway to bring this one back on course ...

Small Ships Register is here https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/default.asp
Costs about £25 to register your craft

ICC (International Certificate of Competence) application form is here however you need to have completed as a minimum a Level 2 course (Tidal) http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/cruisin...ICC%20Form.pdf

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 12:21   #17

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Engine: Suzi 140
Can anyone provide a definitive list of required 'paperwork' for the trip and any other bits you wouldn't think of on your home patch.

Should this include

-proof of ownership
-proof of sale/purchase
-proof of VAT paid
-insurance details
-Builders Cert/CE Plate
-VHF Cert
-ICC Cert
-SSR clearly marked
-Boat name and home port clearly marked
-Ensign
-Passport
etc, etc
Old 30 March 2009, 17:19   #18

Ssr

Just done SSR online. Part 3 is a piece of cake! Great to see a system working well.

Can anyone point us to somewhere to get a 'list of required paperwork' for visiting French France?
Old 30 March 2009, 18:17   #19

Biboa and the Flat Earth Society

I noticed that a RhIB club called Biboa are organising a 'Canter' to Cherbourg in May.
Does anyone know anything about this group?
Does anyone know if this is the best place to contact for a cross channel in company and can they provide a list of required 'paperwork'?

Maybe............ too many people think that they will fall off this flat earth at the Needles or Bembridge!
Old 30 March 2009, 20:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
I noticed that a RhIB club called Biboa ......
Does anyone know anything about this group?
They are a group of boat owners that are massive fans of the Rocky movies. The main organiser, 'Sly' often posts on this site.