Old 20 April 2021, 09:42   #1

Town: TWICKENHAM
Boat name: Wave Rider
Make: Wahoo
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2* 300HP Verado
RIBase
customs

I was hoping to make a trip around the UK by rib in June (provided COVID restrictions allow).

The plan was to travel from Milford Haven (Wales) to Dublin (Ireland) to refuel before heading up to Bangor (Northan Ireland) and then the following day to Oban (Scotland) we were only thinking of stopping for fuel, and a bite to eat in Dublin and not overnight, so it is really a temp transit stop and not a stay, are we required to file a notice 8? Or can we just fly a Q flag, as we are not overnighting?

and help greatly received
Old 20 April 2021, 12:57   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Would it not be easier to drop into peel Iom & avoid Dublin if your not staying? Presumably your thinking of heading into Dun Laoghaire or Howth? of the two Howth is more interesting but Dun Laoghaire is like a tescos car park for boats. Its also a reasonably long run in to the bay. Whereas peel is probably less of a course deviation
Old 20 April 2021, 13:30   #3

RIBase
Can we get fuel at dockside in Peel

We are travelling in 2 decent size boats and will need 600-1000 litres so don’t fancy doing it in Jerry cans

Would love thoughts on the ports we have a plan but still trying to work it out. Scotland seems to be dry of boat petrol at the dockside
Old 20 April 2021, 16:18   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
...Scotland seems to be dry of boat petrol at the dockside
A number of years ago we did a trip from Troon and iirc a number of boats got petrol in the marina. Might be worth a phone call. Troon is on the mainland south/opposite the Isle of Arran.
Old 20 April 2021, 16:36   #5

RIBase
Thanks jwalker
Troon isnt great for us we would be required to make a big detour to get there. Can fully fuel up in Bangor so can get to Oban it is just after that the fuel dries up! going through the Caledonian Canal, to get some rest for the body, but even though all the oil is on the East coast of Scotland they don't sell petrol.
Old 20 April 2021, 18:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
Can we get fuel at dockside in Peel

We are travelling in 2 decent size boats and will need 600-1000 litres so don’t fancy doing it in Jerry cans

Would love thoughts on the ports we have a plan but still trying to work it out. Scotland seems to be dry of boat petrol at the dockside
Not sure about petrol in peel we're diesel, probably petrol in bangor & possibly ballycastle but after that heading north I think your only option is jerry cans. not even sure you'll get petrol to the water in oban we use tommy Barbour behind the ferry terminal in oban for diesel but not sure if he does petrol
Dunstafnage or Craobh might but I'd check first.
Old 20 April 2021, 19:21   #7

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Hi Neil, at present I’m not sure you’d be accommodated as a leisure visitor in Dublin.
Hopefully this will improve but as much as I’d be encouraging people to visit, it may not be possible in the short term.
Maybe give them a call, they’re always helpful on the phone.

Quayside petrol in Dun Laoghaire but Howth and Malahide (may have quayside petrol too) much nicer places to visit and eat in.

Enjoy your trip.

https://www.dlmarina.com/temporary-c...oats-covid-19/
Old 20 April 2021, 21:18   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
No quayside fuel in Ballycastle. Tanker delivery of diesel, yes.
Old 20 April 2021, 21:51   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Not sure about petrol in peel we're diesel, probably petrol in bangor & possibly ballycastle but after that heading north I think your only option is jerry cans. not even sure you'll get petrol to the water in oban we use tommy Barbour behind the ferry terminal in oban for diesel but not sure if he does petrol
Dunstafnage or Craobh might but I'd check first.
No petrol at Dunstafnage or Craobh (or anywhere else handy). Puffin Divers used to but as I understand it don't anymore - I'm not sure if that means they don't have fuel at all or just can't be bothered with selling 30L at a time and for a £1000+ sale might be more accommodating!

Pretty sure its a total PITA with cans for anyone who needs it - there are some places where its close (but 1000L might want to pre-warn them!) but that's a lot of cans/trips. It doesn't get any better when you get to Inverness either...

Quote:
Troon isnt great for us we would be required to make a big detour to get there
they only have diesel anyway! IIRC - James Watt, Holy Loch, Largs or Portavadie for Petrol on the Clyde - but that won't help you!
Old 20 April 2021, 22:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
No petrol at Dunstafnage or Craobh (or anywhere else handy). Puffin Divers used to but as I understand it don't anymore - I'm not sure if that means they don't have fuel at all or just can't be bothered with selling 30L at a time and for a £1000+ sale might be more accommodating!

Pretty sure its a total PITA with cans for anyone who needs it - there are some places where its close (but 1000L might want to pre-warn them!) but that's a lot of cans/trips. It doesn't get any better when you get to Inverness either...

they only have diesel anyway! IIRC - James Watt, Holy Loch, Largs or Portavadie for Petrol on the Clyde - but that won't help you!
Makes you glad you have diesel power doesn't it!