Anybody up for a rib cruise on the Forth! More the better
Old 16 August 2009, 19:06   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you want to plan a cruise I think you'll need to give people more details, even with groups of people who regularly cruise together it never really happens until someone says "I'm going to X on the Yth anyone want to come?"

I would suggest you need to define:
Start from where? (if you are cruising from S.Qfy people are less likely to joing you who start in Elie and vice versa)
Going to where? (I think any cruise needs to have a planned destination)
What to do when arriving? (e.g. is it to eat/drink somewhere, BBQ etc, these things might affect who comes and whether they bring wives, children etc)
When? (date may not be cast in stone, but a small selection of dates as possibilities, or even a "month" in mind). If tides etc are an issue for the destination - work this out in advance.
Planned speed? No one wants to be held up by me cruising at say 18 knots (and I don't want to hold anyone up who normally goes at double that). This will probably also give people an indication of how weather dependent it might be (small boats doing 20 knots are less likely to go on long cruise in F4+, but bigger boats that cruise at 30 might be happy in much worse weather).

I think if you define what you want to do - you are much more likely to get people interested.
Old 17 August 2009, 14:29   #3

Town: Fife
Length: no boat
I think we should give dates and things to do, as severncoxswain doesn't seem to mind whenever they have the cruise
Old 17 August 2009, 16:11   #4
RIBnet admin team

severncoxwain - if you want to jump in at the deep end - how about a trip down the forth (to Granton?) to see the Festival Fireworks (6th Sept 9pm)...

not sure I can make it - but just a suggestion.
Old 17 August 2009, 16:25   #5

Town: fife
Boat name: top dog
Make: avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40
Send a message via MSN to camtheribman
dude, you dont have a boat yet haha, but you could come on mine.

I think the fireworks suggestion is a good one.

Other than that i think we should have a cruise for ribs from 4 meters to 6meters starting at Somewhere up the river, stopping at Dalgety Bay for lunch because it has great food then continuing down the river for a bit.

Anyone up for that?

Cheers
Old 18 August 2009, 10:29   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Just a thought, but where further upriver than Port Edgar can you launch?

I ask that seriously as I have trawled both the 1:25K OS maps and Geograph looking for Slips nearer my house, but PE is the nearest, and as it's mostly motorway to get there is quite easy & quick to get to. Or would this be tide dependant and there's a slip I've missed somewhere?

I think there's a slip at Grangemouth, but it's in the the boat club on the Carron, so not sure how accessible (e.g Fee per launch / day membership etc, or when they lock their gates at night) for random punters. There's one in the canal, but the lock keeper's hours to get back in might be an issue......
Old 18 August 2009, 11:09   #7

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Is there not one at Boness?
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2009, 12:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

9D280/Jambo,

There are boat clubs at

Blackness (very tidal, not really any easier to access by car the S'Qfy - but seem friendly enough to pop in for a pint!),

Bo'ness http://www.ufbc.co.uk/ (they use rails rather than a slipway for launching).

Grangemouth which I assume 9D280 is referring to: http://grangemouthyachtclub.com/default.aspx but again its not really public (and looks treacherous!).

There is also a boat yard at Carriden (the east side of Boness itself) http://www.carridenboatyard.co.uk/ which may be an option?

I'm local and haven't found any useable public slipway west of Port Edgar.

The canal is technically an option, but even if it is in the correct time window for the lock keeper you should be charged the standard fee for motor craft using the canal - which isn't cheap.

The clubs are really set up for their members and would probably rather you joined!
Old 18 August 2009, 13:46   #9
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
If you want to be go out in even further down the Forth, you can launch at Elie, that gives you a few options.....8 miles to north berwick, 6 to anstruther , 16 to may isle weather preventing.

You have Slip, use of the Sailing Club House, changing rooms/ showers etc. and you will pick up a few more RIBS and powerboats from the Club.

Club has gas fired BBQ - www.eesc.org.uk is the club website, using the club is not an issue.

i have also been asked if i was interested in doing a run up to stirling from aberdour.....that needs planned because of tides...but is can been done and have person who knows the waters, but hes a yatchie and Air draft prevents him...

S.
Old 18 August 2009, 18:04   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
i have also been asked if i was interested in doing a run up to stirling from aberdour.....that needs planned because of tides...but is can been done and have person who knows the waters, but hes a yatchie and Air draft prevents him...
I know someone else on here who was keen to do that trip on the right tide. I would be up for it - especially if there was someone with local knowledge...
Old 18 August 2009, 18:27   #11
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
I will talk to the person what asked me to do it, and see when the right conditions are...

as a taster http://fyca.sbmyc.com/Publications/C...ruisingP17.htm

is a log of a trip.

S.
Old 20 August 2009, 09:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

I ask that seriously as I have trawled both the 1:25K OS maps and Geograph looking for Slips nearer my house, but PE is the nearest, and as it's mostly motorway to get there is quite easy & quick to get to. Or would this be tide dependant and there's a slip I've missed somewhere?

I think there's a slip at Grangemouth, but it's in the the boat club on the Carron, so not sure how accessible (e.g Fee per launch / day membership etc, or when they lock their gates at night) for random punters. There's one in the canal, but the lock keeper's hours to get back in might be an issue......
that is a good point. well perhaps starting a cruise at port edgar then going down the river would be better.

anyone fancy that?

cheers
Old 20 August 2009, 10:18   #13
RIBnet Supporter

That's all nice and I don't know any of the parties involved. My work brings me in contact with a lot of young people (previously known as children). I'd suggest a face to face and a permission note from parents of random younger members who are joining you for a rib-run. But then you knew that...
Old 20 August 2009, 13:09   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's all nice and I don't know any of the parties involved. My work brings me in contact with a lot of young people (previously known as children). I'd suggest a face to face and a permission note from parents of random younger members who are joining you for a rib-run. But then you knew that...
mmm... but that would mean you were in some way taking responsibility for the minor - which is strictly not normal ribnet cruise protocol - i.e. every man for himself!
Old 20 August 2009, 15:23   #15

Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Every man for himself! Thats the only way that ribnet cruises work! Might see what L&B Marine Unit are up to that day! Camtheribman raced them in his boat a week or so ago when they were headin up river!
Old 20 August 2009, 15:47   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by severncoxswain View Post
Every man for himself! Thats the only way that ribnet cruises work! Might see what L&B Marine Unit are up to that day! Camtheribman raced them in his boat a week or so ago when they were headin up river!
yup i did and i won hahahahaha. i had an urge to shout haha my rib goes faster then yours
Old 21 August 2009, 13:04   #17

Boat name: Tornado
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheribman View Post
yup i did and i won hahahahaha. i had an urge to shout haha my rib goes faster then yours
U can save that till, Sunday! And brag then! See the guys faces! Am staying out of it! Brian is my friend
Old 21 August 2009, 14:32   #18

haha that will be funny
Old 27 August 2009, 16:04   #19
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Hi 9d280

You could also launch at South Alloa its not to bad just got to time it right for the tide,I launched there before and been down to the bridges and also up to Stirling .
kev
Old 27 August 2009, 19:02   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Hi 9d280

You could also launch at South Alloa its not to bad just got to time it right for the tide,I launched there before and been down to the bridges and also up to Stirling .
kev
Kev - do you know anything about the slipway just to the west of the old kincardine bridge (I would guess its an old ferry slip?) I spotted it as I crossed the new bridge last week but was driving so couldn't study it properly.