Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Cherbourg - Tuesday 24 / Wednesday 25 April 2007

Hi

I am off to Cherbourg for the night next Tuesday and was wondering if any of you could offer any pearls of wisdom. Looked on the Almanac and looks like a big port with lots of marina's, which one offers the warmest welcome? Also any guidance as to what to expect on arrival, never been abroad on the RIB before. (I have Vat Bill of Sale, License, insurance etc etc)

Also anybody fancy tagging along in an other boat would be welcome, plan on leaving Southampton water around 10.45am and return mid day on the Wednesday. All weather depending of course.

Ollie
Old 17 April 2007, 16:23   #2

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
The Visitor's marina is on the starboard hand side as you enter the main harbour proper. There is a very welcoming yacht club with showers etc here. Nice food too.

You may be able to go on in to the inner 'old' harbour, but we haven't done so for years. This has the advantage of being closer to the bars, restaurants and shops etc. You could motor round there but moor overnight in the Visitor's marina.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 710_1_124.pdf (73.9 KB, 119 views)
Old 17 April 2007, 21:45   #3

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Hi Ollie
We went over a couple of years ago the visitors moorings where great but not secure as there where lots of east Europeans hanging about. The refueling was great on the quay lots of hotels within yards, and the old town has some good restaurants.
Just be careful of the fast cat and the ferries.
By the way the wine was cheaper in Carefour on special offer (we where in paris last week and came back via Cherbourg)
Have a safe trip
Old 18 April 2007, 09:35   #4

Well thank you both for the help, at least I now have an idea of what to expect. (Dangerous Fast Cat Ferries and the occasional Eastern European Muggin!!!)

Seriously though the help is much appreciated. When i arrive will customes find me or should I expect to find them?

As far as cheap wine goes its not really my thing, sell it for a living so hauling it around in my leisure time seems like hard work
Old 19 April 2007, 04:09   #5

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Ollie,

Customs will definitely find you if they want you. Normally no issue at all but one year Cherbourg customs went through the boat with a fine toothcomb and made us open up all our charts and even broke open some little cocktail sausages we hadn't eaten. Do I really look that dodgy ?

We used to use Cherbourg for refreshments on our way round to St Vaast. Just checked the lock gates at St V and they don't look suitable if you're going Tuesday and coming back Wednesday, unless you want a really early start back !

http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/i...7_portes_1.pdf

As Andy says, try to find a finger berth underneath where he has posted "Marina". If you end up on the opposite side you have got a bloody long walk around.

Agree Yacht Club is good and accomodating. There is a hotel/motel just behind there in the quay complex, which is adequate if you don't want to struggle far with your bags.

There is fuel on the dock but do check opening hours as from memory, they are restricted.

Lots of good bars/restaurants and generally a lively place.

Around 2000, I chartered a Mystic 60 yacht and took some important customers to St Peter Port and Cherbourg. As there was 9 of us we needed to be ferried ashore in 2 trips in the dinghy, so we arranged to meet up in one of the bars by the old harbour bridge. After a long days drinking our senses were not at their sharpest and we just thought we were getting along famously with the locals until the penny dropped that we were fresh meat in the gay bar.

Have a good trip.
Old 19 April 2007, 08:34   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Do I really look that dodgy ?
Do you really need to ask?

John
Old 19 April 2007, 08:39   #7

Brian thanks for your help, weather permitting we are all ready for Tuesday, same team as the trip we went on so the french beer should be flowing...

Will try and get some pics if we go and post on my return..
Old 19 April 2007, 09:10   #8

Have a Desperado or two for me !
Old 19 April 2007, 09:30   #9

Food

For a meal, keep an eye out for the Cafe du Théâtre.
Old 26 April 2007, 10:14   #10

Well we are back and it was great. I will post some pictures when I get them emailed over from my Dad.

We left on Tuesday morning from Southampton in some grey weather and headed to Yarmouth for fuel which was quick and easy in relation to the other thread posted on this site. Then out into the channel for the crossing over to Cherbourg. Good weather and light wind meant although a few largish swells we carried an average speed of around 38 knots. About 20 nm out of Cherbourg we were followed for a few mins by a French Police helicopter and then left alone for the final leg of our trip, however on arrival into Cherbourg we were greeted by a small rib manned by 4 French Customs Officers complete with side arms! They went through every locker and bag on the boat and went through our documents in great detail. All in all it took around an hour, but all was OK and we parted company with smiles. We did ask what on Earth we would smuggle into France from England which was met with knowing winks!!

Cherbourg marina was very hospitable although not very secure and I felt a little nervous leaving all that money floating on a dark pontoon with no cameras or gates, for peace of mind I removed the ensign in case it attracted further attention. We stayed in the marina hotel which was fine and drunk in the marina bar which was fine too, however we had a fantastic sea food meal in a restaurent called La Regence on the quayside, one of the best seafood meals I have ever had and very reasonable price too.

Early start next morning and as the fuel was only Euro 1.40 per litre we topped off the tanks before heading home. Because we bought fuel there was no charge the bearth for the night!

The run back was a little more lumpy with a fresh force 4/5 but it was on a stern so we carried a good speed and were back in the solent just after 10am, so into Lymington to buy a hatch that had been broken during our inspection the previous day and a couple of pints in the Kings Head, looked a little wierd hanging a round the pubs front door at 10.55am. Strangely enough there was no interest from any of our boarder security and we entered without any of the same security seen over the water.

From there over to the Folly for lunch then Cowes for further drinks before back to SDS and our taxi back to the airport.

On arrival home last night we were all tired, hungover and a little sore from some of the heavier landings but had a fanstastic time full of laughs and good memeories.

Thanks for all the help and advice giving by members of this site.

Ollie
Old 26 April 2007, 11:42   #11

Sounds like a great trip.
Old 26 April 2007, 15:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post

Thanks for all the help and advice giving by members of this site.

Ollie

That's another beer you owe me !

Next time have a look at St V. It used to be one of my favourites.

ATB

Brian
Old 26 April 2007, 16:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittentobuggery View Post
Next time have a look at St V. It used to be one of my favourites.
its got to be Alderney next. A lovely, quiet and very atmospheric retreat. 55NM, 205 degrees from the Needles.
Old 26 April 2007, 16:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
its got to be Alderney next. A lovely, quiet and very atmospheric retreat. 55NM, 205 degrees from the Needles.
It will be, I will see Brian there and hope to visit the other islands on a slightly extended trip down that way.