Closed Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 12:28   #21

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I dunno any old excuse!

Sadly Stuart at my advanced stage of alcoholism, I don't need an excuse; it just becomes a modus operandi...
Old 20 August 2004, 22:11   #22

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon
Length: 5.5
Engine: Mercury 75
Send a message via MSN to Andy Beach
Won't be able to do the 4th (Wedding Anniversary - I can get away with many things but this ....!!) but if you go for the 19th count me in.

Andy Beach
Old 20 August 2004, 22:40   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Plan B it is!!!

Just had a quick conversation with out co-organisers and we're going for plan B (So that's Sunday 19th).

No excuses from those who said it would be their preferred weekend!
Old 20 August 2004, 23:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshoes
getting banjaxed on Captain's Day at his golf club.
In case I have caused any confusion, of course I'm not the bloody Captain.

A mere 484 males who play golf between Woking & Guildford would need to come to a sticky end before they made me the captain. And even then, some of the Lady Members with a little facial growth on their top lip would put themselves up for surgery before that dubious honour passed down to me.

Good job I only play there 4 times per year. Makes it excruciatingly expensive at about £ 12 per hole, but let's not go there....
Old 20 August 2004, 23:38   #25

Town: London
Length: no boat
Arrrrr....meet ye on the 19th day of septem'er then

(and please don't let my family be the only ones in Pirate regalia... my fourteen year old daughter would never forgive me)

Lookin' forward to clappin eyes on the rest of ye an ye vessels. Arrrrrrr....

Blimey, that's enough of that..... see you on the 19th then. Looking forward to it!
Old 21 August 2004, 14:58   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Treasure Hunt

I am thinking about tagging on, the only problem is that currently I only have a 3.6 Avon Sea Sport with a 40 Mariner, would this be too small, obviously subject to weather.
Old 21 August 2004, 15:06   #27

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Ho Po!
I will have to work on the 19th then, the 4th was looking good!
Any more info on the plan of action?
Nick
Old 23 August 2004, 08:53   #28

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Thanks for all the interest shown in this event so far. More details will be posted very soon but basically we are aiming to start at Calshot around 10am and finish at The Folly Inn (River Medina) around 4.30pm with a lunch stop in Yarmouth.

MeMe, thanks for your generous offer - I will PM you. If there are any other people out there who would be willing to donate a prize please let me know.

Please keep watching this thread for updates.

Looking forward to seeing lots of you on the 19th.

P.S. Although the emphasis is on family fun, you are allowed to enter as an 'adults only' boat! So there's no reason for any of you not to enter just cos you can't round up a kid or two!!
Old 23 August 2004, 09:36   #29

Town: Portchester
Boat name: South Coast Two
Make: Humber
Engine: 90
However if you need a kid or two or three mine may be available !!!

Froglover
Old 23 August 2004, 13:00   #30

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
shiver me timbers you dog-eared bugswallowers, this be an excitin' time for all you dizzy-eyed pignurdlers. I ere you be settin' your sails for thee isle of wighty blighty on the morn of the 19th day of the 9th month of this ere yere. I'd be a local yocal to these ere parts and would be glad to welcome yee all onto me isle with a bang of me cannon, a squark of me parrot and a clank of me olde tankard full of me finest home brew.

As all the weather-beaten miscreants who invaded on the 8th day of thee 8th month (when the cloud was thick, the air was dank and the wind was a blowin') in a brave sea-doggin' attempt to circumnavigate the viscious isle will tell yee ol, me local drinking hole yee be the olde King's Head in the port of Yarmouth. Ere you'll find the biggest bunch of misfits and colly bogglers you ever be a settin' eyes upon. Me and me parrot would be 'appy to book you all in for lunch and may even drag our scurvey drunken asses out of our lice ridden hammocks and come and join you.

Then after we had all drunken the bar dry and stuffed our gullets with the finest steak known to man and if my sea hardy vessel were not so dog swogglingly small, i'd be mounting me plank off thee starboard quarter for all you molly-coddled jugswiggers to be a walkin' off into the ocean and down to Davey Jones's Locker....oh aaaarrrrr jim bob me laddy.

So in English, I'd be happy to book you in to a pub in yarmouth for lunch if you wish (although booking probably wouldn't be necessary) and may come and join you...What say thee, thou gnarling, dizzy-eyed pantaloon pullers!

Cheers

Tim (Pirate Dick the Periwinkle...see below!)

PS here be some essential sources for pirate names and words (quite useful in writing essays like that above)

http://www.btinternet.com/~rpottinger/curse.htm

http://gangstaname.com/pirate_name.php
Old 23 August 2004, 19:04   #31

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Louise,

You can probably count me in.

The only caviat is that I have only been ribbing for 5 weeks and, whilst starting to get the hang of it, am not the most experienced boater. The kids get frightened in anything over force 3 and simply don't enjoy it. I'm sure when they have a few more trips under their belts they will feel more secure. I must say I prefer the calm upper reaches of the Hamble to Old Harry in a force 4/5 or maybe I'm not being brave enough!

Anyway, choose one of the marine ride-on toys from this page on my website as a prize and tell me where to send it: http://www.poolstore.co.uk/ishop/691/shopscr358.html

Regards

Peter
Old 23 August 2004, 19:28   #32

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Shoot; could have made the 4th, but not the 19th!

Oh well, have fun!
Old 23 August 2004, 19:44   #33

Sorry Tim.

Peter J, thank you very much for your generous offer. Any of them would be great. I'll PM you my address. Hope you do make it.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

P.S. MeMe - tried to PM you but your PM box is full - if you take up Platinum membership you get a capacity of 500 messages!
Old 23 August 2004, 20:28   #34

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Me too

Hi Louise,
Just been going over this thread (keep up the good work) like Peter J as you know we are new to this and not done a boat treasure hunt before. We would love to attend and support the day but would like to know a bit more about how it all works and if it may be a little beyond our experience at this stage in the meantime we will pencil the 19th in.

Neal
Old 23 August 2004, 20:57   #35

Hi Neal,

Glad to hear you're interested in this. This event has been planned with FAMILY FUN very much in mind - Paul & Sue (who have done most of the planning and clue-setting) have a 7 year old son and the course has been designed based on trips we have done with them. We intend to keep to sheltered water as far as possible and the course will be altered if necessary, based on conditions on the day. The total length of the course will be less than 45 nautical miles and has been designed to suit smaller/slower RIBs (although big RIBs are welcome too!!).

The clues/tasks require a mixture of skills and should provide challenges for all age groups. Some require you to visit particular places or collect particular things. The clue sheets will be given out at the beginning of the day.

Hope this helps. Please continue to ask questions - we want as many people as possible to take part.

Old 23 August 2004, 21:04   #36

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Louise's Charity Treasure Hunt

We won't make it (Boat show isn't it?)

Wish you all a safe trip as ever.

And we'll continue to support our local 'heroes of the sea' via donation.

Us
Old 23 August 2004, 22:58   #37

Provided it's not blowing an absolute houry, in which case you'd probably postpone it anyway, Caprisante would be happy to take along anybody who's feeling slightly apprehensive about the conditions.

If we leave Mrs W & the dog at home, we'd be just three and therefore able to take 3-4 non-paying guests.

Brian
Old 24 August 2004, 06:22   #38

Thanks for your kind offer, Mr W. Looking forward to seeing you and your crowd!
Old 24 August 2004, 06:53   #39

Just reread the whole thread (checking numbers - have at least 8 boats interested so far - thanks, everyone, for your support) and noticed I haven't acknowledged Nauti Buoy and Slim Tim -sorry!

Slim Tim - thanks for those great links and your kind offer to book lunch. We were thinking of The Wheatsheaf but I'll have a chat to Paul & Sue to see what they want to do about lunch. We thought it would be nice if everyone met up in the same pub for lunch but, obviously, can't force people to!!

Nauti Buoy - the course is less than 45 nautical miles and has been designed with smaller/slower RIBs particularly in mind (we have reckoned on the slowest boat averaging around 10 mph, IIRC). Maybe you could bring your boat and then check out conditions before launching? Alternatively, Whiteshoes has generously offered places on his boat.... Hope you do make it anyway.

Signed: Pirate Flora, the staggering drunk (cheers for the pirate name link, Tim)
Old 24 August 2004, 07:02   #40

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Louise,

No worries, the Wheatsheaf is also nice but they don't book. I'll keep an eye on this thread so let me know if you need my help!

A thousand curses, ye purpled, clapper-clawed mayfly! oooo aaaaaarrr.

Tim