Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
4 rivers, 7 bridge cruise - Plymouth - July 18th

After another successful Pasty Run I thought we could look at an afternoon cruise with a bit of a different focus.

Meeting at the breakwater fort at 1430 we'd take a run over to the river Plym, just touching the mouth before taking in the sights of Plymouth Hoe and Smeatens Tower.

From there we'll follow the Tamar and head over to the Lyner and the first of the days bridges - Forder Bridge. We'll not get too close as the tide is still on the rise but we'll see the arches, structure and any features of the design that take your fancy.

On the way we'll see if any of the big grey boats are in and this area gives us the 30 knott challenge! As you turn the corner heading up the river and pass the green buoy you have the chance to open up, hit 30 knots and see what happens!!

I've known SA80s be involved but go on - be brave......

Back to the Tamar and up to Babis Rd bridge, another that supports the railway network in the area.

We now head back up the Tamar to the two main bridges, the Royal Albert railway Bridge (one of Brunel's finest) and the Tamar road bridge.

A push on up the river gives us the river Tavy and the next two bridges, Tamerton and Tavy bridge.

Pushing on up river we head towards Cotehele House and gardens, there are areas of open speed and restricted speed mooring areas, the wildlife on this section is usually superb and cameras are well recommended.

A leg stretch at Cotehele (if its open) is an option before we head up to the last bridge on this trip - Calstock viaduct. It's huge, it's stone, and it's lovely.

A short hop and we'll be at the final stop on this trip, Calstock. It's too early to know what will be open and available on the 18th, but I'm thinking this would be an ideal mid afternoon cream tea or cheese and biscuits spot.

Once we knwow hat's open I'll update, but rest assured there will be plenty of time at Calstock to eat, drinka nd be merry.

We'll then head back down the river towards the open sea. Those launching at Saltash will drop away as the flotilla goes past the slipway and those staying overnight to see what Sunday brings motor onto their overnight beds or slipways for the journey home.

High tide is 1800 and it's a 1.8m low tide so plenty of water but we will be proceeding with caution on the first couple of bridge stops.

PS - they really do use SA80s, the 30 knott challenge is for the mind only, not the throttle!!

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 12:17   #2

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Bianca
Make: Infanta
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 90
MMSI: 232021893
Hi Andy,

This sounds like a great day out, and an itinerary that should entice my (usually reluctant) wife to join me.

We are actually in the process of trying to sell our house up here in Cambridge with the aim of settling in the Plymouth area, so this will be a good opportunity to get to know the area and meet some of you “locals” for the low-down on the Devon/Cornwall boating scene.

We’ve only visited Plymouth a couple of times (child going to Uni there in Sept) so I’d really appreciate some advice on the best BnB’s are that are “RIB-friendly”. We plan to make a long weekend out of this opportunity, so will need to leave the boat at the BnB while doing a bit of house hunting – unless someone has a better storage option to share with me…

I’d also really appreciate any advice on launching sites – I had a look on boatlaunch.co.uk for what options there are but up to date advice from real people is always better.

As this is my first post since joining the RIB forum, I thought I’d share a bit about myself. Originally from Cape Town, we moved over here 13 years ago for a good job in the Cambridge area. I’m an mech/industrial engineer by background and grew up diving and mucking about on RIB’s, Hobie Cats and the odd keel boat, hence my yearning to get closer to the sea. I’ve have been fortunate enough to have done a couple of Atlantic crossings but haven’t sailed in years. I bought my RIB (coincidentally South African made) as a bare boat in early 2019 and built her up over about six months, and really enjoyed the process – so hopefully I can find a property down there with the space to tackle another project – maybe a 6.5m… ��

Looking forward to meeting the group in July!
Rory
Old 10 June 2020, 14:56   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Engine: 100 Yammy
I am still licking my wounds from missing the Pasty Run, but put me down for this!

Not yet been as far as Calstock, so that would be a treat and it would be nice to have a trip the family will want to come along on too.
Old 10 June 2020, 15:52   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I remember taking the sailing yacht up to Cargreen a couple of years ago on the way back from the Isles of Scilly - that had a slightly weird feel to it, almost like some abandoned alien town!

Would have loved to go further up to Calstock, but was slightly worried about some low hanging overhead wires, and given we were eight on time anyway, decided to head back out and eastwards! I have visited Cothele whilst on a road trip down there though, and that was a wonderful place - would love to go back again.
Old 12 June 2020, 07:33   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduck1 View Post
Hi Andy,

This sounds like a great day out, and an itinerary that should entice my (usually reluctant) wife to join me.

We are actually in the process of trying to sell our house up here in Cambridge with the aim of settling in the Plymouth area, so this will be a good opportunity to get to know the area and meet some of you “locals” for the low-down on the Devon/Cornwall boating scene.

We’ve only visited Plymouth a couple of times (child going to Uni there in Sept) so I’d really appreciate some advice on the best BnB’s are that are “RIB-friendly”. We plan to make a long weekend out of this opportunity, so will need to leave the boat at the BnB while doing a bit of house hunting – unless someone has a better storage option to share with me…

I’d also really appreciate any advice on launching sites – I had a look on boatlaunch.co.uk for what options there are but up to date advice from real people is always better.

As this is my first post since joining the RIB forum, I thought I’d share a bit about myself. Originally from Cape Town, we moved over here 13 years ago for a good job in the Cambridge area. I’m an mech/industrial engineer by background and grew up diving and mucking about on RIB’s, Hobie Cats and the odd keel boat, hence my yearning to get closer to the sea. I’ve have been fortunate enough to have done a couple of Atlantic crossings but haven’t sailed in years. I bought my RIB (coincidentally South African made) as a bare boat in early 2019 and built her up over about six months, and really enjoyed the process – so hopefully I can find a property down there with the space to tackle another project – maybe a 6.5m… ��

Looking forward to meeting the group in July!
Rory
Hello

It'll be a pleasure to have you join us - the trip will be pretty scenic rather then loads of fast, hard miles - she'll love it.

Queens Anne Battery or the Yacht Haven would be my suggestion. QAB has a good slip and facilities, although you do pay for the privilege!!

I think for the Haven you launch at Mountbattan, leave the trailer there and book a visitor birth only.

Accommodation wise usually I'd say there are a number of options from very basic bunkhouse or camping up to a Hilton.

However today there isn't anything open. I don't know what will be by then. I'm hoping there will be as I'll stay down too and grab a beer or three either at Hingston Down Farm or an in town air bnb.

Old 12 June 2020, 07:40   #6

RIBase
DAY TWO ADDED

Folks

I've been asked to make this a weekend trip so;

As long as we can get accommodation, day two will be

Meet at the breakwater fort ready to depart at 11.00.

We'll head off out through the West entrance and turn East, following the breakwater wall and head off towards the river Yealm.

We'll be on a falling tide so it'll be a look-see rather then a navigation. From there it'll be off to Burgh Island, unfortunately no time for gin as Hope cove will be calling.

Another look to see what's going on before we turn and head to Salcombe.

A pasty and tea (or beer and chips) will be had before a run direct back to the Mewstone and then back to the fort before departing to the slipway of choice.

This is dependent on the weather and the availability of accommodation!

Old 12 June 2020, 08:13   #7

Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Hello

It'll be a pleasure to have you join us - the trip will be pretty scenic rather then loads of fast, hard miles - she'll love it.

Queens Anne Battery or the Yacht Haven would be my suggestion. QAB has a good slip and facilities, although you do pay for the privilege!!

I think for the Haven you launch at Mountbattan, leave the trailer there and book a visitor birth only.

Accommodation wise usually I'd say there are a number of options from very basic bunkhouse or camping up to a Hilton.

However today there isn't anything open. I don't know what will be by then. I'm hoping there will be as I'll stay down too and grab a beer or three either at Hingston Down Farm or an in town air bnb.

QAB slip is still closed

You would be better off using the free slip at MtBatten, next one over from Yacht Haven's slip.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 08:26   #8

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
A leg stretch at Cotehele (if its open) is an option before we head up to the last bridge on this trip - Calstock viaduct. It's huge, it's stone, and it's lovely.

A short hop and we'll be at the final stop on this trip, Calstock. It's too early to know what will be open and available on the 18th, but I'm thinking this would be an ideal mid afternoon cream tea or cheese and biscuits spot.
When we were here we made the mistake of ordering some food on a falling tide. Although the pub didn't seem busy we had to wait ages and when it finally came it was super hot and I burned my mouth trying to eat it quickly.

Wife was by now almost panicking about being cut off from getting back to the Sound, so I'm afraid I disregarded any speed limits along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_125505-1024x576.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	133510  
Old 12 June 2020, 08:31   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
When we were here we made the mistake of ordering some food on a falling tide. Although the pub didn't seem busy we had to wait ages and when it finally came it was super hot and I burned my mouth trying to eat it quickly.
Oh yes, and why it's an afternoon cruise, up on the river at the bottom of the rising tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Wife was by now almost panicking about being cut off from getting back to the Sound, so I'm afraid I disregarded any speed limits along the way.
If there are mooring then it's a minimal wash - where there aren't any

Old 12 June 2020, 11:40   #10

https://www.plymouth.gov.uk/maritimeservices/slipways
Old 12 June 2020, 19:59   #11

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Bianca
Make: Infanta
Engine: E-tec 90
MMSI: 232021893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Austin View Post
QAB slip is still closed

You would be better off using the free slip at MtBatten, next one over from Yacht Haven's slip.

Thanks to all for the advice - and sounds like day 2 will also be a blast - the air BnB's better be open for business!!

@Ian, we stayed in Mt Batten on one of our visits; is the free slip the last one before you get the ferry "terminal", the one down Lawrence Road?

Really looking forward to this.
Rory
Old 17 June 2020, 13:03   #12

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Accommodation Plymouth

Any suggestions for self catering accommodation. Is there anything near a marina where we can put the rib in for a few nights?

Thanks

Nick
Old 17 June 2020, 19:27   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Any suggestions for self catering accommodation. Is there anything near a marina where we can put the rib in for a few nights?

Thanks

Nick
Plenty of airbnb and hotels in the area. Barrington arms and the Mountbattan centre are good.

Discovery divers at Bovisands has cheap bunkhouse style. All pretty close to the yacht haven for overnight pontoons
Old 17 June 2020, 20:12   #14

Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduck1 View Post
Thanks to all for the advice - and sounds like day 2 will also be a blast - the air BnB's better be open for business!!

@Ian, we stayed in Mt Batten on one of our visits; is the free slip the last one before you get the ferry "terminal", the one down Lawrence Road?

Really looking forward to this.
Rory
yes it is

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 19:19   #15

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
May run down & join somewhere on Sun for run Eastwards....I know you get a bit disorientated East of the MewStone
Old 19 June 2020, 07:55   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I know you get a bit disorientated East of the MewStone
I love a trip out east, when I have a boat in the effing water.

Having said that, discovered Fowey (by car obviously ) yesterday and that looks like a jolly good run and that bit of coast is new to me.
Old 19 June 2020, 15:27   #17

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Yes run to Fowey from Plymouth is good - one option out to Eddystone, then over to Fowey & back along the coast
Old 19 June 2020, 16:17   #18

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, Fowey is a great place to visit, we always stop in there when sailing along that part of the coast. I found a lovely new ice cream shop (Game of Cones) last year right down by the little car ferry! A very handy pontoon for short stay visits ashore as well, which always makes life so much easier.

Have only been just above the china clay facility in the sailing yacht, but would love to take a smaller boat up the river as far as you can go!
Old 24 June 2020, 22:07   #19

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Yes run to Fowey from Plymouth is good - one option out to Eddystone, then over to Fowey & back along the coast

Did you get your engine fixed ? ................ what was the problem ?
Old 24 June 2020, 22:54   #20

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

It would be good to meet up again

I have booked a SC apartment in town through Hotels.com. Staying Sat and Sun nights. They were taking bookings, and the one I have booked allows free cancellation up to a week before. At the time they were saying essential trips only, but I think anything is allowed now [emoji4]