Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > RIBs reported stolen
Click Here to Login

Old 13 October 2011, 12:36   #1

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Outboard
Several Outboard Engines Stolen - 11/12 Oct 2011 - Sutton Coldfield

Just been notified that my boat, which was with the dealer (Meridian Marine, Sutton Coldfield, B75 5SA, near Birmingham), has had its outboard engine stolen, as have several other boats in the yard. The theft occurred sometime in the quiet hours between evening Tues 11th and morning Wed 12th October 2011.

It was a 'professional' job: the burglars cut through high-security pallisade fencing at the back of the boatyard, used boat croppers to cut through control cables, etc on the boats, unbolted the engines from the boats and then (somehow) got the engines through the fence to a van outsied the compound. They even stole a 150hp Yamaha, so they must have been a group of strong blokes. From reading other posts on this forum I get the impression there is perhaps a team of outboard engine thieves touring the UK at the moment?!

My engine is an almost new Tohatsu 25Hp 4-Stroke. It is the EPTS model, i.e. set up for remote control and has electric tilt/trim.

The engine serial number is: 070664

So, if anyone comes across the engine, please PM me.

Currently feeling *very annoyed*, to put it politely.
Old 13 October 2011, 18:41   #2

Town: carrick on shannon
Length: 8m +
I'm feel for you lost a Suzuki 225 a few years ago.
Old 15 October 2011, 21:00   #3

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalong View Post
Just been notified that my boat, which was with the dealer (Meridian Marine, Sutton Coldfield, B75 5SA, near Birmingham), has had its outboard engine stolen, as have several other boats in the yard. The theft occurred sometime in the quiet hours between evening Tues 11th and morning Wed 12th October 2011.

It was a 'professional' job: the burglars cut through high-security pallisade fencing at the back of the boatyard, used boat croppers to cut through control cables, etc on the boats, unbolted the engines from the boats and then (somehow) got the engines through the fence to a van outsied the compound. They even stole a 150hp Yamaha, so they must have been a group of strong blokes. From reading other posts on this forum I get the impression there is perhaps a team of outboard engine thieves touring the UK at the moment?!

My engine is an almost new Tohatsu 25Hp 4-Stroke. It is the EPTS model, i.e. set up for remote control and has electric tilt/trim.

The engine serial number is: 070664

So, if anyone comes across the engine, please PM me.

Currently feeling *very annoyed*, to put it politely.
sounds like a gang as you say 3 engines stolen from Aberdovey boat yard last month the smallest engine was a yam115.... they must be built like russian shot putters
must be a container sitting somewhere ready to be shipped abroad pity we cant find these
bastards and make them walk the plank
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 09:12   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I've worked out that they use a stretcher to get them away. They will off to Poland and give it a few weeks and have a look on eBay

sent from a remote device
Old 16 October 2011, 17:43   #5

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
6 went from humberside last month

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 November 2011, 16:25   #6

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
I have just heard that 3 DF50's have gone from Rochdale in the same style...
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2011, 09:49   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I've worked out that they use a stretcher to get them away. They will off to Poland and give it a few weeks and have a look on eBay

sent from a remote device
Not necessary to Poland as they could be going further East. Here is a link to the web page of the Polish Border Guards Morski Oddział Straży Granicznej

see NEWS section. There is a photo of the engines. this took place on the 8 Oct 2011

Here a chap from Lithuania was stopped when he came off the ferry from Sweden. He had 10 outboards in his van and could not explain where exactly he got them from. He did produce a "receipt". The Border Guards released him but kept the engines to check with the Swedish authorities if they had been stolen.

This is not the first time I have read on their web page about stolen outboards. Why not write to them and send your s/n. You never know.
Old 17 November 2011, 10:49   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Here a chap from Lithuania was stopped when he came off the ferry from Sweden. He had 10 outboards in his van and could not explain where exactly he got them from. He did produce a "receipt". The Border Guards released him but kept the engines to check with the Swedish authorities if they had been stolen.
Interesting. Anything leaving or entering the UK was probably waved through. With staff shortages at ports and airports at peak times... all you need to get past UK Border Control is a nod and a wink!

On a more serious note - I don't know why government agencies can't work closer together. If Swedish authorities can do it, why can't we?
Old 17 November 2011, 11:25   #9

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
"On a more serious note - I don't know why government agencies can't work closer together. If Swedish authorities can do it, why can't we?[/QUOTE]

Because British Authorities couldn't co-ordinate a 'party' in a mixed sex school dormitory!
Old 03 December 2011, 22:39   #10
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Interesting. Anything leaving or entering the UK was probably waved through. With staff shortages at ports and airports at peak times... all you need to get past UK Border Control is a nod and a wink!

On a more serious note - I don't know why government agencies can't work closer together. If Swedish authorities can do it, why can't we?
But there are thousands of consignments that are sent overseas.

Checking every single consignment just isn't physically possible.

What else can they do?

Chris
Old 10 December 2011, 10:44   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
But there are thousands of consignments that are sent overseas. Checking every single consignment just isn't physically possible. What else can they do?
Some of these stolen outboards will be hidden in containers, or 'added' to a legitimate consignment for shipping. The point I was making was regards stolen outboards in a van, the one that was stopped by Swedish authorities.

What's needed is intel, but this kind of crime is off the radar for UK border and customs - as they target drugs, money, illegal immigrants, etc.

I don't see anything happening in this area, apart from insurance premiums going up. At least Yamaha have made in-roads with the development of their Y-Cop security system for outboards (equivalent of a car immobiliser).
Old 10 December 2011, 19:03   #12

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
They can check things because that's their job. We've all been busy, and we still have to get the job done. Builders don't stop halfway through a job just because another one has turned up. Oh, yes, they do actually. Maybe being busy is just a pain when it comes to doing what one is paid to do?
Old 10 December 2011, 19:30   #13

Oh yes, and it's our money that they're not using for what it's being given to them for, but it's our money that they're allowing to be scurried over our borders.
Old 10 December 2011, 21:47   #14

No excuse, do the job..........am I sounding jaded and unreasonable or right? I understand it's a tough job, but that's what it is.......a job, so it needs doing.
Old 10 December 2011, 22:23   #15

Town: Plymouth
You cold argue the same for stolen motorbikes, cars, washing machines, drugs, alcohol, money. The list is endless.

What makes outboards so special ? Yes they've a job to do with "our money" but the number of outboards leaving the country is a drop in the ocean compared to the number of drugs coming in - given the choice the majority of the UK tax payer (including me) would prefer the resource they have to be put towards the "priority" issues first. As a consequence if the find a sack full of boats/outboards all the better!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 10 December 2011, 22:43   #16

You are right, and if we, the outboard owners, are the lowest priority then fine. But I reckon that the money from our outboards, motorbikes etc., goes to fuel the drug running anyway. I'm sure the outboards aren't nicked to satisfy the leisure market in the Balkans. Any dodgy border crossing paints a bigger picture surely. We need to be watertight. 100%. The reason some see a gap is because there is a gap. Outboards full of cocaine that are "only 8 HP outboards"?.......not an excuse. Also that because they are below a value perceived as "EXCISE THRESHOLD" so will not be investigated, doesn't mitigate the crime.
Old 10 December 2011, 22:51   #17

I'm with you on this, but reckon that small catches lead to bigger bags. Simply because that's the knee-jerk reaction that simple minds of crims allow them to work. They are testing the channels, proving their worth........and opening them up for bigger trades
Old 10 December 2011, 23:05   #18

What I'm saying is that is a disconnect between the crimes committed and the blind eye turned to it to focus upon press generating politicising. The same happened with motorbikes, and they're getting up to speed with that. In fact they have the motorbike thing nearly nailed. I hope we can fix the marine issue soon too.
Old 10 December 2011, 23:20   #19

Chaps, I'm backing out of this discussion as I feel it's becoming too political and no longer in the feel of the forum. I do feel this needs airing but not on RIBNET.