Old 21 September 2006, 18:08   #1
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
what rib is this?

Do you know what this rib is? has a hamilton jet looks nice i spoke with the man who owns it but i forgot to ask him what it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	what1.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	22296   Click image for larger version

Name:	what2.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	22297  
Old 22 September 2006, 07:30   #2

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
The guy who owns it had it built for himself as is a mad keen fisherman , it was built by South Boats on the Isle of Wight and there are plans to launch it for the commercial/Leisure Market it can come with a variety of engine packages outboards , outdrives or jets . Have seen it out on the water and looks very good, the owner is well chuffed with it.
Old 22 September 2006, 08:35   #3

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
No Weed

How much do those boat lifts retail for?
Old 22 September 2006, 13:20   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
This is their distributor: http://www.ribsltd.co.uk
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 14:12   #5

Town: Staffordshire
Boat name: Pacific 9134
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
MMSI: 232043887
It's 1 nice RIB.
Old 22 September 2006, 20:57   #6

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore
How much do those boat lifts retail for?

I have one of these Eurolift 25
capicity of 2500kg,, works well !! cost £ 9000 now on its 4th season,,

Old 25 September 2006, 16:36   #7

Make: Southrib
Length: 9m +
Hello, Am new to the site.

The RIB in question belongs to my father-in-law and is called Son-Of-Nipper.
It's SouthRib Special project jobbie used to showcase some new maufacturing techniques that result in a massive wieght saving.
As was mentioned earlier, the owner is a dead keen fisherman and likes a turn of speed as well!
Engine is a 440Bhp Yanmar running into a hamilton jet and tops out at a about 50Knots.
very much fun indeed. I spent all weekend out on it at the Cowes P1 recently and it's a very good Photographic platform to boot!

We are all very proud of that boat and the effort that went into making it. There are plans for a 600Bhp 9.5Mtr version! Interesting times ahead..

I've attempted to attach some picture of the RIB in action...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3335small.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	22380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_33787x5.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	22381  
Old 25 September 2006, 16:45   #8
pop

nice mate looks like a good boat nice clean lines whats it like in a good swell? how much did it cost? if you dont mind
Old 25 September 2006, 16:50   #9

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Engine: Plenty
Nice looking boat, what Hamilton jet are you using is it the 274 or 292.
Why i am asking is because speed of 50 knots is very fast for a jet, speeds over 47-48 knots is really hard to reach, we are in a jet project and been calculating some speed but they dont reach 50 knots.
Do you have the weight of the boat?
Are we talking 50 knots or 50 mph?
Old 25 September 2006, 17:03   #10

hello Pop,
Its not too bad in a swell (I managed to take pictures from it ok in the Solent) BUT as with everything you need to keep the jet on to keep good headway. To be honest, its built for speed and has excellent turning abilities at over 40Knots. No grab at all, it just goes round with very little roll at all. I'm not a particular expert but it seems very impressive.
As a by product of this, its also the driest rib that I've ever been on. No spray on the deck at all.

As for cost, I really dont like to say. A lot of money and even more time went to building it. Everything on it is custom. However it is the best that The Father-in-Law and Ben at Southboats could turn out and I think thier hard work shows in the quality of the end product (but I'm baised of course!).
I have had folks mention that it looks like a Cougar Hull. But it is a unique mould designed and built from scrach.
Old 25 September 2006, 17:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
Nice looking boat, what Hamilton jet are you using is it the 274 or 292.
Why i am asking is because speed of 50 knots is very fast for a jet, speeds over 47-48 knots is really hard to reach, we are in a jet project and been calculating some speed but they dont reach 50 knots.
Do you have the weight of the boat?
Are we talking 50 knots or 50 mph?
Thanks chap,
I would have to lookup the Jet Model, but the impellor has had some work so it's not what you would call "standard". The trick to this rib is that every aspect of it has been tuned for speed. It will do 50kts (just) as-is but its my opion that the speed will increase a little ( 2-3kts) when the lump loosens up (its still under 50hours old and the turbo is a little tight).
It wieghs in "hull-wet" at about 2500Kilos as you see it in the pictures and most of that saving is in the construction.
A race version could easily save 200-250kilos by ditching the Bimini, most of the electronics and console. Also a petrol lump would shave yet more. However, the idea was to design a boat that was everyday useable, had good manners, resonable seakeeping/stabilty/manouverability, very high speed and still had the basics to make a day floating about on the water a pleasure.
i like to think that they were'nt too far off the mark. There are improvemnts to come on the next one as lesson were learned but for the first build of new design, it looks very good to me.
Old 25 September 2006, 17:20   #12
pop

thanks i hope it all goes well

give us an idea near the scorpion price or the rib tec?
Old 25 September 2006, 17:25   #13

Cheers!

Its over 100grand if that answers your question...
Old 25 September 2006, 17:26   #14
pop

perfect
Old 25 September 2006, 18:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoace
Thanks chap,
I would have to lookup the Jet Model, but the impellor has had some work so it's not what you would call "standard". The trick to this rib is that every aspect of it has been tuned for speed. It will do 50kts (just) as-is but its my opion that the speed will increase a little ( 2-3kts) when the lump loosens up (its still under 50hours old and the turbo is a little tight).
It wieghs in "hull-wet" at about 2500Kilos as you see it in the pictures and most of that saving is in the construction.
A race version could easily save 200-250kilos by ditching the Bimini, most of the electronics and console. Also a petrol lump would shave yet more. However, the idea was to design a boat that was everyday useable, had good manners, resonable seakeeping/stabilty/manouverability, very high speed and still had the basics to make a day floating about on the water a pleasure.
i like to think that they were'nt too far off the mark. There are improvemnts to come on the next one as lesson were learned but for the first build of new design, it looks very good to me.
Thanks for info, i had a meeting with Hamilton (New Zeeland Hamilton) the other day and they told me you never can reach more topspeed with other impellors but more topspeed when fully loaded.
Will be interesting to se what speed will be in the end, we will use a Caterpillar C9 (575hp) with the HJ322.
Unbelivable to hear the figures, in a HJ322 it passes 800 liters of water/s wich is 48,000 liters in a minute
Boat is 10,5 and we got a topspeed of 48 knots at 3,500kg and 42 knots at fully load 5,000kg, will se if figures is correct when its finished.
Old 25 September 2006, 22:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrov
Thanks for info, i had a meeting with Hamilton (New Zeeland Hamilton) the other day and they told me you never can reach more topspeed with other impellors but more topspeed when fully loaded.
Will be interesting to se what speed will be in the end, we will use a Caterpillar C9 (575hp) with the HJ322.
Unbelivable to hear the figures, in a HJ322 it passes 800 liters of water/s wich is 48,000 liters in a minute
Boat is 10,5 and we got a topspeed of 48 knots at 3,500kg and 42 knots at fully load 5,000kg, will se if figures is correct when its finished.
Hi Petrov,
I suspect that the main difference is in the wieght and length. you are 10.5mtrs and 3500Kgs. We are 9.5 mtrs and 2500kgs. i know that length=speed but that still makes your rib a ton heavier. I Understand about the "loaded speed" issue. My understanding was more along the lines of maiking the water passage through the jet as "low drag" as possible. Low friction equals more jetspeed for the same revs/impellor.To that end the hull right in front of the jet intake is very flat and smooth to make sure that the flow into the jet is as straight and dense as possible. All that said, I'm not the jet expert but the general theory made sense when it was explained to me. That said, Hamilton should know for sure as they are the experts on Waterjet drives.
I'm everyday I spend with the boat is a day i learn what I thought is wrong. But jets will do that to you. They are totally different beasties!

Good luck with yours Chappie, it sounds like a riot!
Old 26 September 2006, 01:53   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Remember jet skis can be pretty quick.....
Old 26 September 2006, 06:47   #18

Hmmm, but i still have more hp per kg and stil dont get the 50 knots.
I talked to Hamilton about the plate infront of the jet, how it suppose to look and what angl it will have.
Wil se when boat is finished, thanks for the input
Old 26 September 2006, 09:45   #19

look forward to it..
Old 10 October 2006, 10:55   #20

Town: Cowes
Boat name: NIPPER
Make: South 9m
Engine: Inboard Diesel
South RIB 9m

Hi all and thanks for all your comments on our 1st of class RIB. To clarify earlier posts, the boat weighs 2,500kg's mainly due to the use of composite framing and deck structure. The hull remains Lloyds approved commercial conventional lay up. There is no plywood on the vessel, so no troubles with soaking up water and in fact you cannot even trap water in a compartment. In line with modern offshore lifeboats a central bilge sump is fitted trunked through the vessel to twin automatic pumps and a manual pump. we have integrated the waterjet, a Hamilton 274 into the hull design and it is fitted uniquely to offer a large after planing pad rather than recessed as is the norn with jet boats. The engine is a Yanmar 6LY-STE 440hp without gearbox and the boat always achieves 47 knots without any hassle and accelerates to that speed in an instant. With respect to heavy weather, we have had it out in more than 1m and the boat is very comfortable an untroubled in fact 47 knots in 0.3-0.5 is easy. In all of my experience I have never been on such a comfortable, driveable RIB, whick fills the coxswain with confidence and enthusiasm. It is a remarkable little boat. We are aiming to sell in the commercial sector only but if a leisure wanted one, let me know. They are a bespoke build so specifications i.e single, twin, jet, outdrive, wheelhouse, open, bimini etc. can all be accommodated. Ring Ben Colman, South Boats SP Ltd., Medina Shipyard, Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31 7PG 01983 280030 or ben.colman@btconnect.com. Thanks all.