Click Here to Login

Old 01 October 2007, 14:04   #1

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Ocean Dynamics
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 440HP
VentureJet Ocean Dynamics Shearwater

A clip of Shearwater showing what makes jet ribs special!

Old 01 October 2007, 16:22   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by swancvs View Post
A clip of Shearwater showing what makes jet ribs special!

excellent!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2007, 16:38   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My favourite RIBs - how about some more videos of them in really rough water???
Old 01 October 2007, 18:13   #4

Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
We had a company outing round Ramsey the other week, and when your boat did a crash stop just off the lifeboat station, it caused many "we've got to go on that" comments

Trying to hide behind a rock at the Smalls back in June

Unfortunately, I didn't get any with the lighthouse alongside, we were round the wrong side at the time.

-Alex
Old 01 October 2007, 20:11   #5

We're working on it, case of time, tide and days off with the cameraman! Namely me!

Looking forward to putting together some serious footage when the conditions are right, but I have a full time job so getting time off, and the right conditions available is difficult. However I want to get some more footage uploaded soon. Watch this space as they say, also you could subscribe to the venturejet youtube channel and then you'll know when we add more footage.

Any requests other than seeing her out and playing in bigger water?
Old 01 October 2007, 20:30   #6

Ahh the famous Hamilton Turn (aka handbrake turns are us...)

I haven't been able to ask the people in the pic if it's okay to upload so it's been to Photoshop but I think you'll like the pic all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hamilton turn.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	30393  
Old 01 October 2007, 21:49   #7

The cameras always come with me, but I've failed to see you up by Ramsey as yet!! - almost like the boat goes into hiding

Now that Autumn is arriving, we should be able to get some trips in the North Pembs direction.....

I had the pleasure of doing my advanced pb course at the same time as Tim a good while back in Neyland during an unusually cold weather snap. Learned much about the anchoring off the beach etc... (Tim may remember me getting my anchor sizes 'slightly' confused!!).

-Alex
Old 01 October 2007, 22:33   #8

My favourite photo of an Ocean Dynamics shows a boat full of people up to their waists in white water - an awesome site and perfectly safe as it will all go straight out at the back.

I never met Shaun White but I spoke to him on the phone several times - he was such a nice bloke and a true gent. Couldn't believe it when I heard he had passed away.
Old 02 October 2007, 20:03   #9

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Well that's ruined me! I'm off to find the holly grail of "cheap" jet ribs ya MkII Pac 22s Just need to find some lolly to buy it with. I do get concerned when picking up divers about propellers.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2007, 21:00   #10

Simon,

Good luck with your hunt for the grail I'll stick to beautiful Shearwater, 440HP of Yanmar muscle channeled through a Hamilton 274 jet.

What a rush!

An original Ocean Dynamics RIB with all the power needed to operate safely in our waters. She handles like a dream.

Enjoy your MkII Pac 22 if you ever get one. If not, keep your eyes open for a Ribworker, you know you won't regret it!
Old 02 October 2007, 21:14   #11

Are the Ribworkers still being built at Pembroke? - I haven't seen any over there in the wet basin for a while now. Seeing quite a few larger size vessels coming from Mustang though which look pretty good, including one of our new Pilot Boats at work last year - Skomer.

The only thing I suspect that's comparible for precise control with the jet is a voith schneider unit. I know being attached to 50+ ton of vessel is never going to be as fast (it'll never plane), but for handling in confined spaces it's superb.

-Alex
Old 02 October 2007, 21:40   #12

I always assumed the Voith system was only used on tugs and workboats etc but I was on a coastal freighter that had one - I would have thought they were less efficient than a normal drive unit in the open sea???
Old 03 October 2007, 13:10   #13

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Well that's ruined me! I'm off to find the holly grail of "cheap" jet ribs ya MkII Pac 22s Just need to find some lolly to buy it with. I do get concerned when picking up divers about propellers.

We have a diesel inboard Jet which will be for sale very soon (we are just doing a new console for it) which will be at the right price - advert to follow soon!

If you can imagine the inboard with the outboards console you'll be there! It will of course either be lower for the bucket seats or higher for the jockeys the decision is yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STW 05.08.07 (360).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	30421   Click image for larger version

Name:	28092007080.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	30422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Out six 3.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	30423  
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 16:48   #14

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by swancvs View Post
Simon,

Good luck with your hunt for the grail I'll stick to beautiful Shearwater, 440HP of Yanmar muscle channeled through a Hamilton 274 jet.

What a rush!

An original Ocean Dynamics RIB with all the power needed to operate safely in our waters. She handles like a dream.

Enjoy your MkII Pac 22 if you ever get one. If not, keep your eyes open for a Ribworker, you know you won't regret it!
I look upon ribworker with admiring eyes, she is however a bit large to trail to dive sites given the lotto win that must surely turn up soon a huge towing prime mover wouldnt be a problem! - I also love the idea of welded ali - the yoga of the molten poll is already drawing me in!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 21:11   #15

My sister and brother in law tow it comfortably behind a long wheel base landrover!

Now if you want to talk about tight then let's talk about the high shamen of RIBs Shaun White directing operations involving ridculously oversized RIBs on trailers you wouldn't have trusted to take a sofa to the tip with. Negotiating lanes that make tourists swear they have taken a wrong turn through a wormhole and are driving on sark. All the time stood atop the RIB directing proceedings like some mystical prophet as if his very presence would convince the hedges to move to one side to make way for his latest creation.

Well, either the hedges did or his tractor drivers were better than most in their ability to make it so. Regardless, the boats made it to the water, waddling down the lanes causing havoc against anyone daring to try to use the Queen's highway.

However once in the water, they would come to life into the most reliable, manoeuveable working platform I have ever had the pleasure of using. The boat design is a legend itself like the genius who came up with it.

Good luck with your quest, mine's over. Even better to boot, my sister and her husband bought it so I don't even have to pay for it and yet get to play on it. How good does that get?
Old 03 October 2007, 21:30   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Simon

the Pac 22 isn't a great Jet boat! Your'e far better off looking for an old commercial jet boat if you really want one. The Mermaid and Pepe (vospower) drive combination is flawed and not particularly responsive.

far better off looking for a Hamilton, Twin disk or Castoldi jet (probably in that order!)

Jets need a fair bit of low end power to get em working propery

Nice vids by the way, I noticed the engine was revving quite hard when going back on the plane what revs did you hit?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 22:09   #17

You should post a link to your site - I have done a few times in the past.

http://www.venturejet.co.uk/

There you are!!!

Still my dream RIBs - probably because of the waters we operate in - shallow and very rough - could do with one in BurryPort....
Old 04 October 2007, 06:55   #18

Hi Rogue,

Not sure what she was doing then, I'll have to see if I can get my brother in law or sister to login to this site, they can tell you everything there is to know about her. Regards revving hard there, she probably is, bear in mind that she had a full payload of crew and pax and I think Tim just wanted to do things quicker for the video (as you do.) I also know that on that day she was in desparate need of a visit to fresh air to defoul her of japanese weed! Trouble is the weed hits your performance hard, yet if she's out of the water then she isn't earning money so timing is everything. I think on that day Tim reckoned she was down by about 7 knots! They took her out of the water that night.

Going out for a play on Sunday, any requests with regards to footage as I'm going to take some stills and vids?
Old 04 October 2007, 07:07   #19

Cod,

You are right I should advertise the site more. I was trying to tread the thin line of taste between, contributing to this forum and pimping our boat to everyone!

As you can gather I'm totally sold on her, to the extent that even when I was stationed in Milford Haven and we got a new boat (a very nice tailor built Delta 6.5x with twin Barrus outboards) I was dissapointed!

It felt big and comfy, until we moved about in any sea to talk of and then I just reverted to type and thought of how uber stable Shearwater is. I know you can't compare them because there are many key variables that are different but I know where my money would always go.

I shall take your lead my friend and pimp my sites a bit more.

Now for the curious, I really do need requests for footage. What sort of shots do boat enthusiasts want to look at? We're going to do some more filming on Sunday hopefully so if I can I'd like to oblidge.
Old 04 October 2007, 07:11   #20

Okay I've added the sites to my signature lets see if this works.

www.venturejet.com

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=VentureJet
swancvs is offline   Reply With Quote