Old 21 September 2003, 17:41   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
'Boat Safety Scheme Certificate' restrictions

If my memory serves me correctly, you only need a BSS (whether for a full year's license or a short term visitor license) if you boat has either an inboard engine or a cooker. So most outboard powered open RIBs would be exempt. Unfortunately that doesn't help you now with Prime RIB II, Mike!
Old 21 September 2003, 20:29   #22

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
BSS

I have a thames licence and you dont need a BSS Cert for an open RIB with no gas on board. I emailed a BSS Inspector/examiner to ask the cost and he confirm i didnt need one. I have been on the Thames and had my licence checked no problem. hope this clears thing up. It also applies to other open boats.
Old 21 September 2003, 20:39   #23

Town: Cippenham
Boat name: Falcon1
Make: Falcon
Engine: 115hp Mariner Four S
MMSI: 235021077
BSS

Here s a copy of the email i received from the Inspector.

"I normally charge £80 for a complete cruising type craft with gas system and inboard engine - and offer discounts if there is no gas or for outboard motors etc, as with smaller craft.

However, craft without a cabin are not required to have a Boat Safety Certificate by the navigation Authorities (unless they are steam, electric or LPG drive), and certainly all categories of inflatable with outboard, unless having an enclosed cabin, would be regarded as 'open boats'. If your insurer is asking for a Certificate, perhaps you have mis-led them in some way?

The engine sounds seriously overpowered for use inland, and some authorities (e.g. R. Wey) would not allow that boat/engine combination. Of course you may only want to use it on reservoirs or at sea, in which case the Certificate is not required.

Having said that however, you may be interested to know that the part of the certificate which would apply if required would be mainly concerned with ensuring that the outboard motor, tank and fuel pipes are in a condition 'as provided by the manufacturer', that the tank is suitably restrained, etc etc ....

Best regards

David Struckett "
Old 22 September 2003, 00:32   #24

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Yes, thanks chaps....

I was aware that life was easier with an outboard but even with my old boat, (twin o/b) there may have been a problem since the batteries and fuel intakes were in a 'cabin' Well a console anyway!
However, I'm sure outboard users will have no trouble but as you rightly said Richard, I have an inboard....

BUT.... as I said, they tell me that no boat needs a BSS cert if it is just visiting. You can get a Visitor Licence for a maximum of one month in any calendar year, or up to six 'one day tickets' per year. You just have to sign your life away and tell them it conforms to the scheme! The only problem is they expect these 'visitors' to enter by other waterways as a rule.... so it confuses them a bit when you launch by trailer!

Anyway, it'll do for my end of season de-salt later this year!

I am hoping for another couple of goes on the sea before then but people keep asking me to work! Can someone keep the weather good till I get a chance to enjoy it please

Mike - I worked all weekend - C
Old 22 September 2003, 10:10   #25
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Thames

God its so complicated.

The Thames Conservency Act is so old and has never heard of the term user friendly! Unfortunately the old Lock Keepers appear stuck in a time warp and will not see it ammended into a more practical form.

Perhaps something to bash the RYA about?

Chris (I didnt work all weekend!) L.
Old 03 October 2013, 15:38   #26

Town: Panama City
Boat name: None
Make: None
Engine: None
Hi, these two examples seem pretty good. The Hysucat 6.5 was in Canada and it even had a diesel heater....
Hysucat Bow tent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rib bow tent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 03 October 2013, 15:42   #27

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
This must be close to a RIBNET record thread resurrected after just over 10 yes 10 Years !!!
Old 03 October 2013, 21:07   #28

Town: Panama City
Boat name: None
Make: None
Engine: None
Hi, I thought I was replying to the recent thread Sleeping on the deck ? instead I replied to an older link...