Old 15 November 2004, 02:33   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Sight to remember.

Was out today and noticed a small flotilla of ships heading out.Saw the pretty impressive sight of the Star of India under full sail.(some details below)
Thought it funny as she started her life out of the Ramsey shipyard in the Isle of Man.
As i approached and did a couple of turns around her, I heard a voice come over the radio saying "watch out the Brits want her back".(they must have spotted the royal ensign flying from my light pole).

SAN DIEGO—Star of India, is celebrating the 141st anniversary of her launching on two special weekends in November. On Saturday, November 6 from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., a birthday bash will take place on board sponsored by the Star of India Auxiliary. Visitors will enjoy birthday cake, kids party hats, live music and more, all included with admission. On Saturday and Sunday, November 13 and 14 the Star of India sets sail off the San Diego coast to once again affirm her title as the “World’s Oldest Active Ship.”
The Star of India is the world''s oldest active ship. She was built at Ramsey shipyard on the Isle of Man and launched as the Euterpe in 1863. She began her working life as a cargo ship in the India trade and was nearly lost on her first two voyages surviving a mutiny, collision, cyclone and the death of her captain. In 1871 she embarked on a quarter century of hauling emigrants to New Zealand. She circumnavigated the globe 21 times during this service. She was sold to American owners in 1898 and renamed the Star of India in 1906.
By 1923 steam power had replaced sails on merchant ships and the Star of India was laid up in Oakland. A group of San Diegans purchased the ship and had her towed to San Diego in 1927. Depression and war delayed the beginning of her restoration until the late 1950s. In 1976, with her restoration complete, she sailed on San Diego Bay for the first time in 50 years.

Strange to think she was nearly scrapped back in 1926 but was bought by a group for $9,000 ;just about the price I paid for my outboard engine!
Would have been such a loss to not have this piece of history gracing the Bay,
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web DSC00020.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	9115  
Old 15 November 2004, 06:22   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
Strange to think she was nearly scrapped back in 1926 but was bought by a group for $9,000 ;just about the price I paid for my outboard engine!
Would have been such a loss to not have this piece of history gracing the Bay,
cheers Dal
Very nice tale Dal.
Beautiful Saily Boat. Nice to see her in use.

missus
Old 15 November 2004, 10:24   #3

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Nice boat!

Although you should have fired a broadside and then issued the following statement:

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To the citizens of the United States of America,

In the light of your failure to elect a suitable President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy.

Your new prime minister (The Rt. Hon. Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as “like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

4. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

5. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby football (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2005.

6. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 97.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for "sh*t". July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day". All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

7. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Old 16 November 2004, 00:10   #4

Pettal,
Like totally agree Dude you know;
Will get together a boarding party and try and take her next week!
With the latest campaign to get Arnold eligable for the Presidency ,I'm not sure if we need to take action: as Bush will get "Terminated".
Either way, in the words of the "Jaws" film;
"we are going to need a bigger boat!"
(Wonder if Laurence does cannon and grappling hooks as accessories?)
cheers Dal
Old 16 November 2004, 09:52   #5

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
I'll ask him this morning as my new rib has arrived at Barnet and is being fitted out as we speak!!!!!

I'm soooo excited I think a trouser explosion might be on the cards!!!!
Old 16 November 2004, 10:02   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
One thing guaranteed to wind up a Yank - point out that they did NOT beat Britain in their war of independance - as they were still British at the time!!!
Old 16 November 2004, 13:56   #7

Town: romsey
Boat name: marlin monroe
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: honda 50
To Pettal's excellent list of rules for the newly not-independent yanks, may we add the following:

8. Stop misusing the word "momentarily" you uneducated morons! It means "FOR a SHORT time", NOT, "IN a short time". So being told by the American Captain of a jumbo at Heathrow, just about to take off to the US,that the doors "will close "MOMENTARILY", will inevitably result in total panic from the Brits, curious to know why they are not being shut for the WHOLE flight, and conjures up visions of the passenges being catapulted into orbit by nothing more than suction!

9. Another semantic blunder! A bum bag is a bum bag. "Fanny Pack" is just silly...AND rude!

10. Stop over-eating! You have proved it IS humanly possible for 95% of the population to to metamorphose into the shape of a beach ball, now STOP IT!
Old 16 November 2004, 14:22   #8

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
To Pettal's excellent list of rules for the newly not-independent yanks, may we add the following:

8. Stop misusing the word "momentarily" you uneducated morons! It means "FOR a SHORT time", NOT, "IN a short time". So being told by the American Captain of a jumbo at Heathrow, just about to take off to the US,that the doors "will close "MOMENTARILY", will inevitably result in total panic from the Brits, curious to know why they are not being shut for the WHOLE flight, and conjures up visions of the passenges being catapulted into orbit by nothing more than suction!

9. Another semantic blunder! A bum bag is a bum bag. "Fanny Pack" is just silly...AND rude!

10. Stop over-eating! You have proved it IS humanly possible for 95% of the population to to metamorphose into the shape of a beach ball, now STOP IT!
Calm down Jewels - Have a Hob Nob.
Old 16 November 2004, 15:54   #9

great idea...I'll have a packet!
Old 17 November 2004, 16:27   #10

Got to be chocolate ones though! Maybe followed by a glass of wine(or sherry/brandy goes well with them too )
See we know your secret vices Jewels
PS.
Thanks for photos and like the foul weather jackets! when you going to post some photos on the site?
cheers Dal
Old 17 November 2004, 17:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
Got to be chocolate ones though! Maybe followed by a glass of wine(or sherry/brandy goes well with them too )
See we know your secret vices Jewels
PS.
Thanks for photos and like the foul weather jackets! when you going to post some photos on the site?
cheers Dal
Photos? but you know the gaudy yellow of those jackets clashes with my delicate complexion and the cut makes me look pear shaped with a short neck!!..........Oh......you mean photos of..........THE BOAT??!! Ta ra! Jx
Old 18 November 2004, 23:38   #12

Saily Boat

Missus,
nicest thing about "Saily Boats"is they attract "rubbery boats!"
Caught this Apex RIB Press boat out there looking all official .
Bit stuck up though as didn't even say Hi!!
Also caught the Star of India's sister ship the "Californian" .
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	press rib.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	9169   Click image for larger version

Name:	californian2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	9170