Old 16 May 2017, 21:50   #61

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
good post as usual gurnard I think you should be part of the tourist board for the west of scotland
Old 17 May 2017, 05:58   #62

Town: Alcester
Boat name: Shy Talk
Make: Highfield OM460t
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Thanks Bern..and I agree the personal stuff has no place on the forum.

However it is sometimes good to discuss different techniques too. Then we can see each other’s reasons of doing things differently..as everyone’s boats and sea habits are often very different.

An example is.. I don’t use road maps to navigate.. but I don’t use marine charts either.

I use OS maps at 25 scale.

The reason that works for me is.. (apart from the fact I have the whole of Scotland in OS maps) In my type of boating.. Im hugging the coastline as close as reasonably possible.

Im not navigating oceans...nor am I interested in how deep it is below my keel when in open water. Im looking for sandy bays to land it..land marks to explore ..rocks to avoid etc. I tend to find the detail for my personal needs is far more detailed in the OS maps..which I find very accurate to low water mark.

Example

This is where I camped in Canna..in Navionics free “in your footsteps” website (It may be more detailed in a fully paid up version ? )

And here it is in my OS map which I use for navigation in my SIB adventures.

OK..I know the OS map doesn’t show the overfalls and tide races etc.. but I had referred to that data from online charts and other references....then written it on my small overview map...so I did know it.

What am I missing by not using the marine charts ?.. keeping in mind..Im hugging the coast line in my type of boating.

Im interest to learn too.
GURNARD...I dont use marine charts either..25 thou maps hve a lot of detail for coast hugging tours... and in the military I was taught the "aim off" principal too, which you mentioned in an earlier post.. it never fails !! I am paranoid about getting into difficulties through weather and tides so if the report is bad I just stay camped until it changes, and by bad I mean pretty much anything other than good conditions, because I am not an experienced sailor.... what food do you take, I find the ready made camping meals very expensive so I make up my own, and it all comes from normal everyday supermarkets.. I follow these posts of yours because you do what I do, boat and camp, as far as I know there are not a lot doing it.. I am retired too, and at 63yrs can still get out and do it.. even though I couldnt live further from the coast ( Stratford upon Avon)..
Old 17 May 2017, 15:50   #63

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian9525 View Post
.... what food do you take..
Guiness
Old 17 May 2017, 16:57   #64

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
@Moosecat ..hey good to hear from you again ..hope to meet you soon too..have you seen the Scottish SIB outing that Highland Haggis is kindly organising ? Im hoping to be there

@Breezeblock.. now thats a job I could enjoy..but Im sure Scottish scenery sells itself

@Ian9525 ..as A1an mentions..I find Guinness is a meal in itself..but I do take food too. Mostly stuff for sandwiches as I cant be bothered cooking much. I love mackerel season though..those tasty delights get cooked before rigor mortise sets in..yum.

@Poly ..thanks for taking the time to post about the charts..and I agree with all you say about them

But... I still prefer OS maps to charts for my inshore work .. and this is an example why.

This is a bit of chart of the south west point of Rum (near Schooner point) Its a barren rocky coastline. It tells me nothing about the land. Imagine I had a problem at the red dot on the chart .. and needed to land as soon as possible. I cant drown on land so can survive longer on my own. To me..the chart is next to useless for that info.

Here is a photo of the point where the red dot is.. I can tell from being in situ that a landing is nigh impossible.

However my OS map shows two possible landing spots.. a small stone shore at Wreck Bay... and a possible larger stone shore just around the point (top of map). That is the main reason for my preference. In real life..it is still a difficult landing at either shore ..but it is certainly possible.

I agree that info is of little use to a bigger boat..but for inshore SIBs ..I think it is very relevant.

When using a compass to navigate.. both OS maps and Charts are as accurate as each other to take bearings from.

I prefer landing for lunch than dropping anchor when in a small boat.. if there are moorings in the area ..I have been known to tie onto the buoys... so wouldn’t accidentally hook one with an anchor .. I know the tides and races in the area from on line research (which includes charts) before hand.. so have little reason to buy charts. But that is only me and my inshore boating requirements. Im not saying its correct..but it sure works for me.

For info on another topic .. because I enjoyed making the Canna videos.. I bought myself an action Camera yesterday..and have been making a movie with it today..I will post it later as it may be of interest to some. It is not a boating video..but it tells a good story..which is what Im practicing at the moment.
Old 17 May 2017, 17:19   #65

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
When it comes to Navagation (like most things) you can't beat Practicle experience..
and I think as far as inshore Island hopping/hugging and Loch work in your neck of the woods is concerned
....I for one would Bow to Yours! which is considerable Mr G!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 12:27   #66

Thanks Maximus..and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Here is something completely irrelevant to small SIB boating ..but perhaps will interest some ?

Thanks to the feedback on my Video adventure ..I finally took the plunge and bought an action camera. Which make ? I googled “Best action Camera 2017” and there was one clear winner in all the reviews.

The Gopro Hero5 Black.

Its negative points were that it doesn’t come with many accessory attachments ..and they are expensive to buy. The big plus for me.. is it is waterproof to 10m without a special case.

A DIY man like myself ..finds it no problem to make accessories..from junk I already have around the house...so I had no negatives left for the Hero.

This shows my first accessory.. the red handle is from a broken wood plane. It is screwed onto a block of wood which I stuck one of the supplied mounts to. I tapped a length of copper rod and secured it into the bottom of the wood block..then made two other accessories that screw into the copper embedded in the home made handle. A Counter weight to help steady the camera when holding the handle..and a spike to stick in the ground.

Here it is with the spike attachment screwed into the handle.

I also had an old DSLR tripod that I have not used in twenty years.. so attached the other Gopro mount to the tripod head. That gives a very flexible mount that can hold the camera at any angle with a twist of its ball mount. The tripod head is also tapped to accept bolts .. so I can screw it to various bases and clamps..etc

And one leg from the tripod stand ..makes a smashing selfie stick..to shove the camera over the side of the boat..or use as a mono pod. It is light weight and extends on quick release clips.

I have other mount ideas in mind too..so although the camera was a bit dearer than other brands.. my accessories are as cheap as chips...so delighted with my purchase.

It means I can bore you all with more boat adventures ..as and when I do them.

I have not had my boat on the water since I got it..so made a practise video of a walk I do every week.. at least once .. just to keep myself fit and in reasonable shape. I love going walking early morning while watching everyone driving to work in the rush hour. Im glad my days of work related stress are over. The video tells that story

It is my first attempt with new technology..so keep that in mind. Im still learning..so realise I need to hold my head still and point upwards..as I scramble up the cliffs. I was also looking for some water to try it out in..but the dry spell meant the burns are almost dry.

Anyhoo..without any futher ado.. as it will be alright on the night...

Thanks to all my friends who enjoy the witterings of The gurnard..its appreciated.
Old 18 May 2017, 18:23   #67

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Gurnard I've stayed away from this thread/report a bit due to the headwind and then tidal races you experience posting it. However... I've viewed your videos on YouTube fullscreen in HD and... trying to avoid sounding sycophantic... the balance of stills, video, titling, conveyed info and even the music is pretty well perfect and makes them very watchable.

Also very interested in you spashing more of the pension money on a GoPro. On the SIB we use a slightly lesser Sony compact than yours but broadly similar in it's abilities (without that ultimate potential quality though) but like you spend half our photographic/video opportunities pulling it out of the Dri-Bag then shielding it from spray.

I'd wondered about an upgrade to a waterproof digicam or a GoPro for the summer hols so I'm following your experience with great interest.
Old 18 May 2017, 19:34   #68
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Now I am jealous..but then again..Im in a small SIB.. I don't know if I would be as happy having a whale slap my bottom ..in the manner dolphins slap it.
Dolphins are total slappers - taken yesterday west of Malin Head:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flipper.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	119545  
Old 18 May 2017, 19:47   #69

Thanks for the kind words Fenlander ..and Im happy you watched them in HD ..it makes a huge difference on U Tube.

I can do higher resolution too...but I don’t think it worth it ..as my computer monitor cant see 4K ..so a waste of hard disk space.

What I really love about the Gopro Hero 5 is it listens to me..and doesn’t give any lip back.

Example..my eyesight is not so good for all the wee screen setting. Its no problem with this one..

I just yell ..”Gopro Start recording” ..and it does it.. I can then yell “Gopro stop recording” and it does that too. I can then yell “Gopro Take Photo” and it does that..without me having to touch it.

Unfortunately I have not found out how to tell it to make my dinner yet ?
I can also see what its doing on my smart phone if I wish .. as well as its in built monitor .. so its full of features. I don’t know anything about the cameras so cant recommend any myself...but Im a happy chappy with this one.

Here is another mount I made this afternoon..its now happily clinging to my fridge door. The base was an old Kojak type (remember him from TV ) orange flashing light thing I stuck on my van when stopped at the side of the road. Its a big magnet..so sticks to anything metal. I will just have to watch my compasses near it.

Im looking forward to trying out various low level filming positions tomorrow.. It can make for some dramatic footage..like this photo of my brothers..its from his web site and taken by his Gopro on the front of his kayak. No worries about it getting wet either..in fact Im hoping for lots of spray..which I can then put into slow motion etc .

So keep an eye out for my next video..Im still learning..but its very enjoyable work.

Great Dolphin photo Willk ..tomorrow I will be happy if I catch a small fish in Loch Fyne..so I can stuff my selfie stick gopro under water and see it swimming around.. doing that with a dolphin would be tres cool
Old 18 May 2017, 19:53   #70
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
..tomorrow I will be happy if I catch a small fish in Loch Fyne..so I can stuff my selfie stick gopro under water and see it swimming around.. doing that with a dolphin would be tres cool
You'll no feel the same about eating a wee haddie you've formed a cinematic relationship with - and I wouldn't recommend hooking a dolphin - the steaks don't fit in a domestic pan...

Old 18 May 2017, 19:56   #71

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Scotland has been enjoying an excellent May

Even the sharks are enjoying it

Old 18 May 2017, 20:14   #72

Wow..that was one smart shark video Geoff.

Sadly I remember the days they were quite common in the Clyde. A Girvan guy got a licence to harpoon them ..from his boat ..in front of tourists.

He then sold the sharks to the local chippie..who sold them as Shark Suppers. Think that was around the late 80’s ? I was working in the area so tried one of the suppers.

I also read the “conservationist” Gavin Maxwell..although he loved otters..had no problem slaughtering baskers off Skye ..in their hundreds. ..his shark factory was on Soay..Im heading there soon.
Old 18 May 2017, 20:41   #73

I'm from Troon and remember seeing sharks from the house most summers in 60s and 70s. Then they stopped. A rare sight in the Clyde ,but I sense numbers may be returning?
Old 18 May 2017, 20:53   #74

I crewed on my father's GP14 then Hornet dinghy back then. ..it was from the sailing club along at Barassie Shore..which then closed when Troon Cruising club started up.

I recall sitting on the sliding seat of the hornet .. near lady isle rock.. and seeing basking sharks swimming beside me ..my father kept shouting..stay out on that seat.. we are winning the race ..but I confess.. I wasn't sitting above the sharks.. so slid into the boat again

Memories..sigh
Old 18 May 2017, 21:33   #75

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Wow..that was one smart shark video Geoff.

Sadly I remember the days they were quite common in the Clyde. A Girvan guy got a licence to harpoon them ..from his boat ..in front of tourists.

He then sold the sharks to the local chippie..who sold them as Shark Suppers. Think that was around the late 80’s ? I was working in the area so tried one of the suppers.

I also read the “conservationist” Gavin Maxwell..although he loved otters..had no problem slaughtering baskers off Skye ..in their hundreds. ..his shark factory was on Soay..Im heading there soon.

That was an old friend of mine called Howard McCrindle from Maidens. His harpoon was quite imposing on the bow of the boat.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 21:38   #76

Well thankfully those days are passed and we are more enlightened that conservation is better than harpooning. He would be vilified today.
Old 18 May 2017, 22:15   #77

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
Well thankfully those days are passed and we are more enlightened that conservation is better than harpooning. He would be vilified today.

Yep probably but he was seen as a pioneer in that time
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:22   #78

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I just yell ..”Gopro Start recording” ..and it does it.. I can then yell “Gopro stop recording” and it does that too. I can then yell “Gopro Take Photo” and it does that..without me having to touch it.

Hmmm very similar to me calling to Mrs Fenlander to take a photo/video then... but I assume after the third such command in 5mins the GoPro doesn't reply "do it yourself"!
Old 20 May 2017, 11:14   #79

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
Fantastic video brings back great memories of the trips I used to do in my zodiac no better place on earth for exploring in a sib than the West coast of Scotland
Old 20 May 2017, 11:52   #80

Thanks for your kind words too Zodiacman. I read a few of your posts back when you did it too. I know you will appreciate the appeal of doing these trips in a SIB..and also know that large SIBS are very seaworthy boats

Tags
sib