Old 13 May 2017, 19:31   #41

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Top write up as always donny, folk should read this as it is. You are doing what many aspire to do, and doing it your way complete respect my friend I hope to be doing as you are when time is more plentiful [emoji106]
Old 13 May 2017, 20:07   #42

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks Neil ..good to see you around

Yup.. I wont change my ways now..but in all honesty..they are not so strange.

GPS for the masses ..is quite a new invention.. so most folk who have come up though the boating years of yesterday ... manage fine without it. Obviously if you don’t recall those days ..then its the bees knees...and becomes a must have.

I think its a bit like mobile phones..the young nowadays must have the latest one..but they no longer talk .. they text...or surf...and seldom seem to talk face to face?

In a year or two..our kids will wonder how we ever managed to drive..it will be robot cars following GPS tracks.. but today..we still think its safe to do

Folk should spend their time boating ..instead of worrying about the fastest engine or latest gizzmo

My opinion only
Old 13 May 2017, 20:15   #43

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
I'm with you brother [emoji1]
Old 13 May 2017, 22:50   #44

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 25
Wow what a amazing journey. I can only aspire to be like you and visit all those places. I'm currently at the age in life were my work consists of 6 sometimes 7 day weeks. And the furthest I have traveled in my sib is 10 miles this year.

If I can improve my navigational skills I plan on visiting Ullswater again this year 😂 and completing the whole length. Didn't do it last time.

But the only method I know is from mountain biking using os maps so I'm glad I could also put those to use while on the water (anywhere) and not be ashamed of not using the correct software and water mapping. I realise Ullswater sounds like a pond to you. But it's a reasonable achievement for my skills. I'm only young so there is many days left to improve. And that retirement age to look forward to which sounds so good.
Old 14 May 2017, 08:12   #45

Hi Rossymtb. Thank you for your post. I will add ... your comment is the one that touched me the most in this thread.. because of your honesty and un pretence.

Perhaps its also because I remember the days that I was in your position. I never ventured out the shelters of Fleet Bay in my first boat. It was a small homemade sailing dingy my uncle gave me..he didn’t have plans for it.. he went to a shop...measured one up..and this was the result.

To suggest you need GPS gizmos and all the fancy trimmings that are now suggested as “mandatory” to use a wee boat in inshore waters ..in my opinion.. is going way over the top. You do need basics but you get far more value for your money in first hand training and personal experience... but in the type of boating you want to do.

I have learned more about inshore work from experienced Kayakers than I have learned from large boat folks. They seem to understand tides and winds far more than many power boaters..who don’t need to know about them because of their powerful engines.

Like you I started small before growing tall. I was lucky though..my father taught me the tricks of the trade. I was not just lucky with my navigation with “road maps” on this trip ...I have done it this way all my life...and I can say in all honesty..I have never been “lost”

You will find in anything you do..that some people will try to put you down..if you don’t follow their way. That is life.. it doesn’t mean that what you are doing is wrong.. it doesn’t mean what they are doing is wrong either. A chart is still just a map..in the same way a sheet ..a halyard .. or warp.. are still just ropes at the end of the day.

Its also worth pointing out that some people get the most fun from small boats. For me..going to sea in a large boat equipped with GPS.. radar..all the top gear ..would be as exciting as going to Canna in the car ferry. However I do appreciate a small boat doesn’t have much in the way of bragging rights...if that is what floats a boat.

My old boss had a very expensive yacht moored in Cannes harbour. I asked him why he had it as he couldn’t sail. His reply was..its to attract women. That ..to me is not what boats are about..but it was for him...it didn’t make him wrong ..just different.

So use your boat when you can Rossymtb ..and ignore those who don’t understand your ways
Old 14 May 2017, 08:12   #46
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
But the only method I know is from mountain biking using os maps so I'm glad I could also put those to use while on the water (anywhere) and not be ashamed of not using the correct software and water mapping. I realise Ullswater sounds like a pond to you. But it's a reasonable achievement for my skills.

Lakes and freshwater lochs are a great place to start. I know the Gurnard likes an OS map for his trips which I think comes from his time spent with sea kayakers - they don't really care what is below the water and travel at speeds where they can usually dodge that cheeky rock. The Gurnard has quite a bit of local knowledge of many of these areas too and also likes to pootle around the shores at low speed.

Personally I think proper charts tell you much more than an OS map, and my mountain bike nav is quite different from my boat nav: on the MTB I've probably used a compass about twice in ten years, and that was to settle an argument or quell a doubt not to follow a bearing. The main difference though is on the bike you are usually following something vaguely resembling a path, or heading in a direction until you expect to find a path/fence etc.

I don't think I have ever fixed my location on the MTB using bearings. In principle you can of course, but the reality is you can usually work that out with your eyes. At sea one headland looks much like another (especially if you have never been there before or drift/zip around a lot.). Whilst you probably have no plans to go out in the dark, when you get caught out and it's starting to get dusky it gets worse, but your chart is intended for 24/7 use so helpfully highlight the lit marks/bouys/beacons etc. And clearly shows the difference between what is above and below the water at different tides. Should you want to drop the hook for lunch, wouldn't it be useful to know if you are about to get it entangled on some moorings, a foul/rocky outcrop, or a power line? If you are likely to be near military or chemical facilities knowing the exclusion zones (just as the red boundary on your OS map highlights an issue) or when you cross a boundary into an area you should be reporting to VTS. And then usefully the chart will often provide more details of fuel, food, etc at harbour/marinas often with a vhf Channel or phone number.

Having said all that I have sometimes referred to an Os map from a small boat to work out if I land at that beach can I walk to somewhere etc.

Finally, should you find yourself either needing to call for help, or going to the aid of someone who does two interesting issues arise: 1. Charts are designed to give your position in lat/long. Maps use grid refs. Whilst the CG will have OS maps available and be able to translate, I might be a mile away overhear your distress call and have no idea I can be alongside you before the CG have even decided to page the lifeboat. 2. Naming conventions aren't the same on OS maps and Charts. (Especially if your Gaelic pronounciation is rusty!). That can have significant issues in getting the right resource mobilised quickly.

Quite why the Admiralty and the Ordnance didn't get together and produce a combined amazing map is odd. They probably couldn't agree on the colours!

On ulswater, you might not have a choice - but when you are ready to go to sea, I really would suggest the investment in a chart is not only uselful but also fascinating. If you buy a few and then decide for yourself after a bunch of trips they are unnecessary then that is great... but far better that than being down the side of Jura wondering which way the tide runs when it is on the way in or off a complicated harbour entrance trying to guess how the Withies were laid out.
Old 14 May 2017, 08:45   #47

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
Great advice both thanks. Maybe I should look into a few charts of around my areas. Would help me no end if I can learn how to use and read them properly. Mostly it's sheltered inlands waters but for depths and tide it would help.

Where do I buy such charts? Google it or is there a specific make of map I should get.
Old 14 May 2017, 09:29   #48

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
The quality of your video's are outstanding Gurnard, [emoji41] [emoji106] and whilst I'm sat at boring work today on a 30 hour shift watching your footage on my mobile phone it's as though I'm on that sib with you. " How I wish I was "

Good on yer [emoji106]
Old 14 May 2017, 09:41   #49
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
Where do I buy such charts? Google it or is there a specific make of map I should get.

Local chandlery is good to support but online is often easier. Dash4it is cheaper than most.

There are essentially two styles: admiralty and Imray. Both work. Admiralty are prettier IMHO if you get excited by attractive cartography. However the Imray small chart folios are much more practical than full size admiralty charts for use on the boat.
Old 14 May 2017, 10:31   #50
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Local chandlery is good to support but online is often easier. Dash4it is cheaper than most.
LOL - I was looking at old credit card statements last week wondering what and who "Speedy Hen" sold and were. The answer comes to me now - Imray charts from their Ebay shop!
Old 14 May 2017, 16:33   #51

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
LOL - I was looking at old credit card statements last week wondering what and who "Speedy Hen" sold and were. The answer comes to me now - Imray charts from their Ebay shop!
You'll need to get a better hobby!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:43   #52
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You'll need to get a better hobby!

I assumed he meant "mrs Willk was asking what the hell I had been buying now"!
Old 15 May 2017, 07:46   #53

Hi again guys.. to finish my part of this adventure.. I will now give my thoughts of the video questions I asked earlier

@Brian ..thanks for the info on the different cameras. I have been googling action cameras and a lot of folks agree the Go pro is not the best value although still a good camera ..so when I finally decide ..will consider all the on line reviews ..thanks for that

@Jeffstevens. Yup..I still like my photo blogs too. I forgot I posted a trip to Eigg on this forum around four years ago. Its in my traditional format. Here it is at this link for anyone wanting to compare my video with photos and words formats

http://www.rib.net/forum/f39/sibing-...ard-66054.html

Interesting to note my return journey from Eigg then was in dense fog and Im still using ” road maps” for navigation ..here is what I said back then. So at least Im consistent ..regardless the weather

“The sea mist came down very thick on my return journey to the mainland.. and I could only see a few hundred yards in front of the boat. Fortunately the sea was flat calm. I took a compass bearing and followed it allowing a couple of degrees for tidal drift. I arrived at the mainland only half a kilometre from Portnadoran Campsite. My adventure to the Small Isles was over.”

@Ian 9525 ..I know that route well as I sometimes camp at Resipol campsite myself ..and spend most my boating time around Arisaig ..or Oban areas. I tried to get round Ardnamurchan point a few weeks ago in my wee F _RIB 275 size..but backed out as the conditions were a bit rough for it then...I will have another go in it.. before the year is out

@Aian ..thanks for confirming the cap mount works well. I thought it would. I also wonder how a camera “hard mounted” on the boat would work. The boat would be steady..but I don’t know if the horizon jumping about in a chop would be off putting ?

Anyhoo..thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread
Old 15 May 2017, 07:49   #54

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Aye it's odd how your reading habits change as life progresses, I went; Beano - Judge Dredd- Fiesta/Razzle/Men only - Landrover owner - Practical Boat owner...... now I buy charts & pilot books. The future ain't looking too exciting on the reading matter front, I might have to revisit my youth[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The future ain't looking too exciting on the reading matter front, I might have to revisit my youth[emoji6]
I remember those days too PD .. and look back on those days with nostalgia ..as I have forgotten what is for now.

However.. looking at some of the youth of today.. I'm glad I'm an old fart.. and I still have my dreams
Old 15 May 2017, 08:04   #56

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
I will be in my eighth decade in a couple of months time,and whilst I look back with fond memories I am looking forward in eager anticipation.My memory box is by no means full yet,bring it on
Old 15 May 2017, 08:07   #57

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
I will be in my eighth decade in a couple of months time,and whilst I look back with fond memories I am looking forward in eager anticipation.My memory box is by no means full yet,bring it on

I find that my memory box has started to arbitrarily have a clear out now & then[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 08:16   #58

Wow..you must be on those new fangle drugs ..I will keep to my Guinness

Old 15 May 2017, 09:48   #59

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I assumed he meant "mrs Willk was asking what the hell I had been buying now"!

Spot on!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 21:39   #60

Town: Southport
Boat name: Black Pearl
Make: Compass
Engine: suzuki 9.9 2 stroke
Hello Gurnard , i've just read your write up on your recent trip and i'm very impressed with your video posts , your planning and experience served you very well , the scenery is stunning and the sea passages are great , very well thought out and executed well.Having had the pleasure of boating with you last year i look forward to hopefully doing the same again sometime soon,Matt

Tags
sib