Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
id say get it vinyl wrapped but i think that may be quite tricky. anyhow, the more youve scrimped and saved to buy something, the more you will appreciate and enjoy it. when do you take delivery?
Got to take my engine off first and then trailer the SR to Ian at Liverpool Power Boats next week, probably Friday. Ians away for a few days but will get it done the following week. Will give you a shout when its ready for its maiden voyage.
Got a tank full of premix to run off as well!
Old 27 September 2013, 21:07   #102

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
cool, all being well i will be about for that. ive got quarter of a tank of premix to burn this weekend before putting the brakes and good bearings back in ready for its return home.
Old 03 October 2013, 20:44   #103

RIBase
New engine!

Searider is going in tomorrow for its new 90 E-Tec ......
Still wondering what to do with 45lt of premix, may be add a few litres in the daughters Citroen C1 each tankful?
Old 03 October 2013, 20:50   #104

Length: 3m +
Because you want to ruin her Cat Convertor?

How about taking to a local farmer?
Old 03 October 2013, 21:13   #105

RIBase
Maybe unhook the oil injection on my jetski?
Should give me a days fun and another slipped disc.
Old 03 October 2013, 21:21   #106

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Best of luck with the new engine Col. Hope all goes to plan for you buddy.

Look forward to the 90 Yam v. Etec challenge sometime off the north Wales coast next season; come to think about it there's enough of us about with Sea Riders oooop north we can probably organise a 'Top Gear' type series of challenges.

I'll back myself to win the 'First to the Antelope' challenge but am quite happy for you to win the fuel consumption category

Oh, by the way, my hull remains firmly blocked....
Old 02 November 2013, 19:48   #107

RIBase
Picked up my Searider from Liverpool Power Boats last week, they have just fitted a new Evinrude 90 E-Tec.
Took the day off work on Friday as the wind had dropped around Holyhead Anglesey and went out to play!

First impressions of the E-Tec is that it has hell of a kick, the power is there as soon as it clicks into gear. I have the hull blocked off but it's still a heavily built and loaded boat and although the old engine was good, the E-Tec power is instantaneous. The 17" Aluminium prop was fitted as a starting point and will be replaced with stainless next season but still pushes onto the plane in seconds. Acceleration is better than my old 90hp 2stroke but top end is down from 47 to just over 41mph. Hopefully I will pull back a bit more top end when swopping props. Wake boarding was good with the old setup but should be even better with the improved bite that this seems to have.

It's also exceptionally quiet, more like a smaller four stroke and even at 5k it's not loud. Should make listening out for the VHF a lot easier than before!

Also noticed that the E-Tec has a better/bigger steering lock to lock and seems to be slightly further back from the transom than the engine it replaces which gives me a lot tighter turning circle than before. So much so that it nearly turns on it's self which took me by surprise at one point as I nearly fell out.... There's a lot more effective trim on this engine than I have ever had before which is interesting. It gives a lot of scope and I found I could trim it out a ridiculous amount before it let go, well off the gauge which might need looking at. Might even be able to lift the engine a hole but will have to wait until next year before I can play out again.

Still cringing at the amount of money I have just spent but am determined to enjoy it next year, round Britain???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-187113858.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	86965  
Old 02 November 2013, 20:02   #108

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Nice looking rib for a searider enjoy the Etec.
Old 03 November 2013, 09:46   #109

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Nice looking rib for a searider enjoy the Etec.
x2 Should be good Combo.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2013, 10:01   #110

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
x2 Should be good Combo.
X3 rib looks great with the Etec, good choice, enjoy
Old 03 November 2013, 10:06   #111

RIBase
It's just what all those hours you spent on the hull, console, stainless and tubes deserves Col. Look forward to hooking up with you around the Straits somewhere early next year in my SR....and if Chris Caton gets his out too, we'll have a mini 'convention' without a piece of gaffa tape in sight!

Three bright and shiny SR's; whatever next?
Old 03 November 2013, 10:07   #112

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
It's just what all those hours you spent on the hull, console, stainless and tubes deserves Col. Look forward to hooking up with you around the Straits somewhere early next year in my SR....and if Chris Caton gets his out too, we'll have a mini 'convention' without a piece of gaffa tape in sight!

Three bright and shiny SR's; whatever next?
I'm doin me best'est
Old 03 November 2013, 10:34   #113

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
Picked up my Searider from Liverpool Power Boats last week, they have just fitted a new Evinrude 90 E-Tec.
Took the day off work on Friday as the wind had dropped around Holyhead Anglesey and went out to play!

First impressions of the E-Tec is that it has hell of a kick, the power is there as soon as it clicks into gear. I have the hull blocked off but it's still a heavily built and loaded boat and although the old engine was good, the E-Tec power is instantaneous. The 17" Aluminium prop was fitted as a starting point and will be replaced with stainless next season but still pushes onto the plane in seconds. Acceleration is better than my old 90hp 2stroke but top end is down from 47 to just over 41mph. Hopefully I will pull back a bit more top end when swopping props. Wake boarding was good with the old setup but should be even better with the improved bite that this seems to have.

It's also exceptionally quiet, more like a smaller four stroke and even at 5k it's not loud. Should make listening out for the VHF a lot easier than before!

Also noticed that the E-Tec has a better/bigger steering lock to lock and seems to be slightly further back from the transom than the engine it replaces which gives me a lot tighter turning circle than before. So much so that it nearly turns on it's self which took me by surprise at one point as I nearly fell out.... There's a lot more effective trim on this engine than I have ever had before which is interesting. It gives a lot of scope and I found I could trim it out a ridiculous amount before it let go, well off the gauge which might need looking at. Might even be able to lift the engine a hole but will have to wait until next year before I can play out again.

Still cringing at the amount of money I have just spent but am determined to enjoy it next year, round Britain???
Nice looking combo! Any idea what kind of consumption(Liters/hour) you get in the speed range 26-29 knots? Have been offered silly money for my yam, can swap to a good used Etec or optimax without any cash between...so considering to do or not to do...
Old 03 November 2013, 13:02   #114

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
Now that's a nice looking searider!! Good effort
Old 03 November 2013, 22:10   #115

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Nice looking combo! Any idea what kind of consumption(Liters/hour) you get in the speed range 26-29 knots? Have been offered silly money for my yam, can swap to a good used Etec or optimax without any cash between...so considering to do or not to do...
I didn't really take much notice of the fuel consumption but I had to drain the inboard tank completely of premix before having the E-Tec fitted and only put exactly 20lt in to get it up and running. Spent a couple go hours wave jumping and a few runs in the harbour upto max then dropping down to 3000 to cruise before heading back to the trailer. There is still fuel left in the tank, I was trying to run it dry but ran out of time. Will pump it out after winterising it later this week. It's certainly better than the 90 it replaces and am looking forward to hooking it up to a Lowrance to get the exact figures next season.
It will give me something to read at the Gazelle while I'm enjoying the pint Barrowboy will be buying.......
Old 03 November 2013, 22:18   #116

RIBase
Thinking of a refit over the winter, possibly some sort of shock mitigating seating?
Home built of course....
Quite like the look of this, at least it's the right colour, I'm sure there's an old mono shock in the workshop somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2691095821.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	87042  
Old 04 November 2013, 04:57   #117

RIBase
Quote:
It will give me something to read at the Gazelle while I'm enjoying the pint Barrowboy will be buying.......
....whilst always remebering that it's a 'challenge', not a 'race'
Old 04 November 2013, 09:16   #118

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Thinking of a refit over the winter, possibly some sort of shock mitigating seating?
Home built of course....
Quite like the look of this, at least it's the right colour, I'm sure there's an old mono shock in the workshop somewhere!
Liking that very much!!
Old 05 November 2013, 08:32   #119

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
I didn't really take much notice of the fuel consumption but I had to drain the inboard tank completely of premix before having the E-Tec fitted and only put exactly 20lt in to get it up and running. Spent a couple go hours wave jumping and a few runs in the harbour upto max then dropping down to 3000 to cruise before heading back to the trailer. There is still fuel left in the tank, I was trying to run it dry but ran out of time. Will pump it out after winterising it later this week. It's certainly better than the 90 it replaces and am looking forward to hooking it up to a Lowrance to get the exact figures next season.
OK thanks, sounds good!
Old 02 January 2015, 09:29   #120

Happy new year! Excellent Job.. I am trying to find a same avon 5.40 and i will follow your guide as a holly bible.. At which point is the project by now?

Shock Seating?

Gongrats!!