Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 14 June 2016, 14:21   #21

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for the tear aid info Jeff..I have not heard of that before and will look into it if I cant get the patch off. i only had a quick look this afternoon and then the rain started..so I abandoned the task.

Im in no rush for the Gurnard ..the Guppy will be used again very soon..its taking up more and more of my boating time..due to ease of launching and great cheapness for fuel costs
Old 14 June 2016, 15:57   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Then came the second Aerotec of the day powered by a 15HP engine..and Skippered by Father and son team Sunsport.
Whilst not important to the story, "sunsport" is actually helming the other Aerotech, and this is "sunsport's friend" together with "sunsport's friend son". Mooncat was my newly acquired crew.
Old 14 June 2016, 16:22   #23

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I think the unbranded SIB was a Jago 3.2m ali floor SIB.
Old 14 June 2016, 19:24   #24

Town: dornoch
sunsport

many thanks for a great weekend guys, my aerotec with the 20 yam two stroke is run with a 35mm block to raise it to keep the boat dry, i also use a 30hp on it and put a 50mm block the transom on for pulling skiers out ,i put the trim out a notch to lift the nose a bit to compensate for the camping kit weight.interesting to see all the boats side by side to compare them .some were great load carriers some were more portable than others. the aerotec being a lightweight boat is going to spend a fair amount off time airborne, did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back. got to say the helmsman off the 3.2m boat done a grand job off making such a short boat keep up with bigger and heavier boats in these conditions. just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers
Old 14 June 2016, 19:32   #25

Town: dornoch
sunsport

many thanks for a great weekend guys, my aerotec with the 20 yam two stroke is run with a 35mm block to raise it to keep the boat dry, i also use a 30hp on it and put a 50mm block the transom on for pulling skiers out ,i put the trim out a notch to lift the nose a bit to compensate for the camping kit weight.interesting to see all the boats side by side to compare them .some were great load carriers some were more portable than others. the aerotec being a lightweight boat is going to spend a fair amount off time airborne, did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back. got to say the helmsman off the 3.2m boat done a grand job off making such a short boat keep up with bigger and heavier boats in these conditions. just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers
Old 14 June 2016, 19:36   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
....did find putting more speed on helped to soften the ride but upped the risk off being thrown about and that doesnt help my back.
Yes. It feels counterintuitive at times but in a chop it can sometimes be the case that faster is softer*. It's just that the odd big wave can then really mess you up. Vigilance is called for.

* It's one of Tom's Rules: "If it was bumpy then you weren't going fast enough!"
Old 14 June 2016, 20:57   #27

Hi Poly..thanks for sorting the Avatar names for me .. I do remember asking everyone while sitting round the campfire .. but then I had another tin of gravy ..and got muddled ..then another tin and a wee nip ..and then forgot completely

Stig thanks for the account of the airfoor on the Honwave .. Im sure it will help folks decide “Which SIB” is best for them.. and it is coming from first hand experience and not Chinese Whispers rumour. You are also correct..the smallest SIB of the weekend was an Ali Floor ..I checked a photo I have which clearly shows an aluminium runner

Hi Sunsport.. (got your avatar name right that time ) glad you enjoyed it.. I enjoyed the banter round the campfire as well as the soaking to get there ... hope we can all meet again next year. Thanks for clearing up the water over transom issue .. it should help clarify to any doubting folks that it is not an issue with a packing piece.

Hi Willk..Im sorry you didn’t manage this year..but perhaps we will meet again next year

As predicted..once we were out the shelter of the Kyles of Bute.. the sea was still choppy. I don’t take photos in the very rough water as my camera is a DSLR and not waterproof. Its also hopless trying to hold the camera steady.. not to mention dangerous driving.

Perhaps that alone is testament as to how stable the Quicksilver 4.3 meter boat is in a chop.. I have to keep on the plane to keep up with you guys.. both hands on the camera to operate it ..and watch for unexpected waves myself. I do have the kill cord attached to the OB in case of an accident.

Here are some quieter moments going round Ardlamont Point ..

and then we were in the shelter of Loch Fyne.. heading for our campsite..

We were looking forward to landing.. getting a fire going .. and clearing salty throats with a few waves of liquid gravy

to be continued ...
Old 14 June 2016, 23:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
just out off interest how much fuel did the other engines use ,i used 26lts. cheers

Mine is a 20hp Honda 4 stroke and used about 17-18 litres all-in for the 60-odd miles we covered. I have lots of spare fuel now having over-packed for our trip (2 full cans left plus 1/4 tank), at least the lawn mower will be well stocked!
Old 15 June 2016, 07:41   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Fenlander, I must admit I had a few chuckles on the water directed mostly at you... I had your words of advice and praise for the Honwave ringing through my ears, "...and it provides an exceptionally dry ride..." as I spat out yet another mouthful of sea water and clenched my eyes to prevent the stinging of yet more facefulls of the North Channel>>>

But the boat didn't actually fill with water? Then that's a dry ride for a SIB!

I have a bit of a helming challenge when it gets bumpy as Mrs Fenlander and daughter wear jeans and trainers just with a waterproof jacket... and they hope to stay dry... as does the dog!

Great pics in post #27 Gurnard. In the second one down Stig and another looking to test the Collregs rules? ... or perhaps it's telephoto foreshortening. Then a nice one below it of Poly and his ever present security guy. And the one below that looks to be someone about to be enveloped in spray to a degree which would definitely have Mrs Fenlander turning back to me with a stern look!
Old 15 June 2016, 08:56   #30

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
* It's one of Tom's Rules: "If it was bumpy then you weren't going fast enough!"
Also it explains his mantra " Drive it like you stole it"

I screwed up and missed the opportunity to say hello when you all called into Portavadie for a pit stop - well done to all - it certainly looked grim in Loch Fyne from the comfort of the infinity pool
Old 15 June 2016, 09:14   #31

Hi again Sunsport ..I have not filled my tank yet to find out accurate..but I normally allow 5 litres for 10 miles with the 25HP two stroke. I refilled the 25 litre tank at the campsite and I think it took around 18 litres.

Stig..dont waste it in the lawnmower ..get out on the seven seas again..soon.

Fenlander..yup..there will be a bit of zoom in the photo of the Honwave and Jago SIBs ..the Honwave was a bit behind the smaller SIB.. hey..that wee SIB sure moved quick.. and as Sunsport already said..the skipper could handle it expertly.

Im still wondering who Tom is Ribochet .. but sorry we were passing ships at Portavadie

Typical of Scottish weather ..the wind started to ease in the later part of the afternoon.. and we enjoyed almost flat calm conditions for the first time since leaving Largs approx six hours earlier.

The plan for the wild camp location was to choose a location not too far from a “Pub” in case it turned out a miserable wet evening ..and we couldn’t sit beside a campfire. We finally zoomed in on a sheltered spot.. not too far from Portavadie Marina

Tide times were perfect for the heavy Quicksilver and Poly boat. We let them dry out on the receding tide knowing they would be afloat again in the morning. The transom wheel guys hauled their SIBs up the beach.

This was the only major difference that I observed between the lighter transom wheeled boats. I hauled the aerotecs and the Honwave a couple of feet on the softish shore. The aerotecs were easy to move.. the Honwave was more difficult for me. However..it had a four stroke engine and the aerotecs had two strokes..so that could account for it.

We no sooner landed ..than the wind dropped ..and just to ensure we didn’t dry out too quickly.. the rain started. That is when the locals appeared .. to try and repel the band of SIBBers who had come to invade their territory.

The midges descended voraciously. Fortunately the rain only lasted half an hour ..a breeze moved it on ..and also moved the midges on.. We pitched tents beside the wild yellow flagged Iris ..to camouflage the yellow tent from more midges in case they returned.

The campfire was lit .. tins of gravy passed around.. and we voraciously ate our food ...burgers .. sassages.. bacon .. and some traditional Scottish fare.. fresh from Glasgow .. of onion baja’s .. left over carryoot .. toasted on the open fire.

We talked fishy stories which grew bigger and longer ..until it was time to retire. Im sure we all agree..it was a great adventure so far...and was certainly not a damp squib of a day

To be continued ...
Old 15 June 2016, 09:24   #32

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Im still wondering who Tom is Ribochet
AKA Tom McLaughlin MD Redbay Boats - a legend in Irish Ribbing

Quote:
but sorry we were passing ships at Portavadie
No worries
Old 15 June 2016, 12:31   #33

Thanks Ribochet ..now I know who Tom is

The air was calm when I awoke the following morning and left the tent for an early morning pee.

There were midges in the air ,..but none troubled me. Some swear that Avon Skin So Soft is the best deterrent ..some will say Jungle Juice ..some may even say DEET .. however I have found the best deterrent of all is ... old baja onion breath... with a hint of stale Guinness .. is best.

The camp was packed away after a hearty breakfast of more bacon..cereals ..coffee etc.. then we were back on the water for around 9 am. First stop was a fuel stop in Portavadie Marina.. at £1.22 per litre.. its not bad value for a Marina

Second Stop was to assist Poly’s poly boat. Not sure what happened but it started fine after Sunsport gave the plugs a wee tickle with a hammer

It should be noted that on these outing we all act as one team. Poly assisted Mooncat when he had engine issues at Largs..then kindly took him on board as passenger so he didn’t miss the adventure. When a SIB stopped for whatever reason ..everyone stopped and inquired if there was any difficulty. Everyone helped one another moving boats etc..while I hovered in the background .. taking photos of it all to tell the tale

We started off in calm water..but as we left Loch Fyne..the sky started to brood again and the passage round Ardlamont point and across to Inchmarnock was as rough as the day before

But after Inchmarnock.. the wind started to drop again and we started passing stragglers returning home from the Round Bute Race

We made good time ..so to pass an hour we decided to land at the Little Cumbrae Lighthouse.

Around the late 1700’s the Northern Lighthouse Board were given powers by the government to raise money for further lighthouses by collecting a fee from passing ships. In those days Little Cumbrae’s lighthouse would have collected a fair amount of money from all the ships heading for Glasgow. The original lighthouse was a tower on top of the hill ..a fire in a brazier providing the light.

In 1796 this one was built. The last keepers left in 1976. The modern lighthouse is now Solar powered and is little more that a light on top of a white pole

We landed in the ruins of the original landing slip .. passing the old boat house and rail tracks with a winch that would have hauled supplies up to the lighthouse

I always think it a shame to see such historic sites falling into ruin.. I believe this was only the second lighthouse to be built in Scotland ? Because it is an island.. undesirables cant steal the metal for scrap. Two huge generators stand silent..rusting quietly away

The lighthouse tower and keepers cottages are to the left of the tower which once housed the huge Fog Horn. These Horns made a long forgotten noise that my kids have never heard. The horn itself is now rusting silently in long grass which was once a tidy garden.

The lamp lens has long gone ..but the views across the Clyde towards Bute and Arran are still there.

I got a good view of our SIBs in their little harbour..a hundred feet below

Like the nose of the Fog Horns .. perhaps my kid’s children will never know lighthouses of old existed ?

That is why I try to record them with my camera ..and I enjoy my adventures to see such relics of a past generation.

An hour later .. we left Little Cumbrae lighthouse to decay in peace. I headed for home as I had been adventuring constantly for the past month and was now feeling tired. The rest of the guys landed at Millport for a coffee before returning to Largs...and home.

Sadly..another Scottish SIB outing was over as soon as it had begun.

My thanks to all who came on this adventure. It was great meeting you all and swapping tales of the sea. I am certainly looking to the next outing. To those who had to cancel..I hope you enjoyed reading about it..and hopefully you will make the next one.

Lastly .. A big thanks to Poly ..for arranging it all ..it is very much appreciated.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
Old 15 June 2016, 12:47   #34

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
cracking gurnard as always looks like i missed quite a trip dont envy the midges though thanks for the report.

cheers
Old 15 June 2016, 15:53   #35
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Second Stop was to assist Poly’s poly boat. Not sure what happened but it started fine after Sunsport gave the plugs a wee tickle with a hammer
Well, we will never know for sure, but our investigations revealed a lot of crud in the fuel filter, and after cleaning this she behaved much better. I had let a tank drain completely on the Saturday and it seems likely that it sucked up some debris from the bottom of the tank (what came out the filter looked a lot like sand). We did swap a plug, a tank and a fuel line during some trial and error investigations. I should say that she ran the whole way home on Portavadie fuel (as did some of the others) without further ado so I am sure that it was NOT contamination at their side.

The assistance of those on the day and in knowing that help would be around let me continue on my way. Had I been cruising on my own, I would have retreated to Portavadie and then worked out a (long!) route home by land.

Quote:
Lastly .. A big thanks to Poly ..for arranging it all ..it is very much appreciated.
To be honest I did even less this year than last! All you need is a start point, a date and a rough plan will get you started [but a bad weather plan, and some idea of the geography for dealing with any crisis on the day will help alot]. I email an outline of the passage plan to the CG a few days before we go and call them at the start and end of each day. If you are really lucky some salty old sea dog with stories of the local history will turn up to keep everyone informed. I do this to commit to a long trip each year, whereas had I been doing it myself or with a friend we'd have put it off to a nicer day (which inevitably never synchronises with free time). If someone wants to organise the next one (either later this year or next, I'm happy to share any wisdom I may have). One particular problem is getting the balance right between enough of an adventure / challenge for those with some experience, and making it open to all.
Old 15 June 2016, 16:05   #36

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
What in other words you ran out of petrol!!

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 16:12   #37
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
What in other words you ran out of petrol!!
Oh no, I had more than enough fuel on board. I don't normally let a tank drain completely as the crud is at the bottom - and this episode seems to reinforce that.
Old 15 June 2016, 16:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Mine is a 20hp Honda 4 stroke and used about 17-18 litres all-in for the 60-odd miles we covered. I have lots of spare fuel now having over-packed for our trip (2 full cans left plus 1/4 tank), at least the lawn mower will be well stocked!
Just filled up the outboard tank and it took 8 litres so looks like I used exactly 20 litres of fuel for the 60 miles.
Old 15 June 2016, 16:40   #39

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Oh no, I had more than enough fuel on board. I don't normally let a tank drain completely as the crud is at the bottom - and this episode seems to reinforce that.

Poly it's easy done when your busy watching other things that are important at that point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 16:41   #40

As has been said, no matter how modest he is being, a big thanks to Poly for pulling it together... I thoroughly enjoyed myself and got the opportunity to learn more about my SIB and SIBBing safe company.

Thanks to The Gurnard for another amazing write up, finally I get to feature in one :-) - really good to see all the pics.

I pulled together a little video which you can view here: https://vimeo.com/170449376

The password is: ribnet