Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
River Thames on Sunday 10 Feb 08

Just got back from a brilliant day on the Thames. Not too cold and obviously not hot either!!

We launched at Putney Embankment, had lunch in Limehouse Basin at The Narrow - now owned by Gordon Ramsey. Pudding was skipped for the sake of a blast down to the Barrier then we headed back up to Putney only to be greeted by a very high tide spilling over the road. Unfortunately the Embankment did its normal trick and tried to swallow two cars. One narrowly got away but the Corvette wasn't as lucky! See the pictures.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008193.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	32782   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008196.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	32783   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008197.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	32784   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008198.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	32785  
Old 10 February 2008, 20:15   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
second set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008199.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	32786   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008200.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	32787   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008202.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	32788   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008206.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	32789   Click image for larger version

Name:	10022008210.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	32790  

Old 10 February 2008, 21:54   #3

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Hmm...

...some interesting shots there.

So SE UK really is sinking. "Beaky" Wright, "Bodge" Parmley et al weren't kidding. (They were geography masters at my place of education*, many, many moons ago).

How long before you can do the return journey by RIB along Fenchurch Street?

Can I book a seat?

* In Chelmsford, as you ask. And no, I won't miss Chelmsford either...
Old 13 February 2008, 17:03   #4
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Good photos, best place for a Corvette too!
Old 18 February 2008, 10:34   #5

Town: London
Boat name: Iolar Na Mara
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury Ver 150
I took a maiden voyage on my new rib from Twickenham to the Barrier on Feb 17th (still cold)... had an interesting chat with the river police given they had never seen me before. They take details of you and your vessel so they can identify you next time.. all to do with the terrorism act.

I can also totaly dispell the rumour about a speed limit after Wandsworth bridge, there is none but obviousy need to behave in terms of wash.

Last observation is what is it with the rowers (have a feeling I shouldn't go there), I stayed well clear and slow but still got a "who do you think you are" from some crazed lunatic who thought he had the Queen Mary instead of a row boat!
Old 18 February 2008, 12:53   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimesrfg View Post
Last observation is what is it with the rowers (have a feeling I shouldn't go there), I stayed well clear and slow but still got a "who do you think you are" from some crazed lunatic who thought he had the Queen Mary instead of a row boat!
Be aware that rowers are permitted to be on the "wrong" side of the river in some circumstances, although in these cases they should keep as close into the shore as possible. Lots of detail here: http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/pdfs/m...-_printers.pdf

More navigation information that's worth a read on the PLA web site here: http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/displa...ite/recreation

In practice, all you can do is drive responsibly and cause as little inconvenience as possible. Bear in mind that you wake might look rather different from a rower's perspective!

Having said that, there do seem to be a significant number of rowers who think the river exists purely for their benefit. Best just to ignore them.

John
Old 18 February 2008, 13:23   #7

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
Good photos, best place for a Corvette too!
Having lived with Vetts for more than 10 years but not any more you are very misguided they spank most cars, although as Clarkson points out the interiors are just not up to the Euro motors but on price there ain't allot to beat them, that s the latest a C6...wait till their new C6 ZR-1 comes out

Actually you could be right water is the place in the UK for the small block engine and 90% will be found their...if you have not dribbled over the sound of many boats V8's then you should be in an engine less environment like a canoe
Old 23 February 2008, 14:00   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribit View Post
Having lived with Vetts for more than 10 years but not any more you are very misguided they spank most cars, although as Clarkson points out the interiors are just not up to the Euro motors but on price there ain't allot to beat them, that s the latest a C6...wait till their new C6 ZR-1 comes out

Actually you could be right water is the place in the UK for the small block engine and 90% will be found their...if you have not dribbled over the sound of many boats V8's then you should be in an engine less environment like a canoe
They newer ones are better I agree and they are great value for money, like you say would kill most cars in a straightline, im not sure on the corners though.
I also agree the interiors are the main let down, but then thats always the case with American cars.
Im a petrol head so I certainly wouldn't want to be in an engineless environment I just wouldn't buy a Corvette, i would probably go with an Exige for similar money, obviously not as fast but im more interested in road holding.
Old 23 February 2008, 16:57   #9

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: 150xr2
I would agree a Lotus Elise/ Exige is a great car for the Uk's smaller roads and overpriced petrol costs, a number of my friends have run them and they have been great fun, in some way on our overcrowded roads with a 70mph limit it seems antisocial to drive a super car and pointless...maybe it's only value is driving around slowly with it's top off screaming look at me like they do in Monte-Carlo...a Vett in it's native homeland and in Europe would be a much better proposition