dnv

Town: Hamburg
Boat name: Der Delphin
Make: Parker
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 120HP
Parker Rib on Helgoland

Dear all

At the end of April Parker delivered a rib to me. This was a 2007 ex-Demo model a Parker 630 with the well proven 120hp, 1.7l TDI, Mercruiser stern drive diesel engine. I purchased this rib for family cruising and some judging/safety work at sailing regattas on both North Sea and Baltic Sea. My area of is River Elbe west of Hamburg and the out into the North Sea. This area is well known for harsh conditions, strong tides, and due to these conditions has seen over the years many losses of ships. Chart 1 of the German chart set no. 3014 has a count of more than 60 wrecks.

During the spring and early summer I kept to my home waters to gain some experience with my new rib and to learn what performance and sea capabilities he could expect. I also wanted to gain confidence in boat and equipment which I can confirm I did. An offshore trip to Helgoland was on the agenda for mid-August. This involved an each way passage of 85 Nm which involved 45Nm in more or less sheltered waters from Hamburg to Cuxhaven and then some other 40Nm out into the North Sea to the Isle of Helgoland.

At 08:30h on August 06 my Parker diesel rib named "Der Delphin" left her berth in Hamburg. A short pit-stop in Wedel was made to top up the fuel tank and then off to Helgoland. The weather conditions were excellent, light winds and some sun. From Cuxhaven the tide was with "Der Delphin", and the ride became a bit rougher, but not uncomfortable. "Grosser Vogelsand" was covered with breaking waves, a clear no-go area. Despite the calm weather, from "Grosser Vogelsand" to Helgoland the waves were some 1.5m high. Nevertheless, that passage was dry with no spray coming on board. The total 85 Nm passage was covered in about three and a half hours. Upon arrival to Helgoland the first task was to refuel. Helgoland, is a duty-free area so the nice low cost of the diesel was well received. In total we took 52 liters of diesel fuel so we had a good safety margin of 58 liters left in the 110l tank when approaching Helgoland.

Off Helgoland "Der Delphin" performed her duties as platform for the Judge and as Safety-Standby boat for the inofficial German offshore championship for Optimist Dinghis see www.opti-helgoland.de.

On the way back we had a 16 knot head on wind combined with an odd swell from the starboard side. Despite these conditions the ride to Beacon Z at the outer end of River Elbe was made within an hour. As the weather was worsening, the throttle was opened up to get us quicker into the sheltered waters. Passing Cuxhaven, the wind was gusting at some 20 knots. After 3 hours and 50 minutes from leaving Helgoland "Der Delphin" was safely back in her berth in Hamburg. My passengers however had to put up with some sore muscles for the next two days.

The Parker 630 performed beyond my expectations. I am using the rib for my pleasure and for judging events like the Kieler Woche. As I have some 15 years experience with ribs of various brands, driving ribs is nothing new to me. The Parker 630 is for sure outperforming most of my previously used ribs and particular thanks must be given to the well thought-thru layout, which suits both family needs and the judging requirements.

kind regards
Jan

PS
For the text I have to acknowledge Andre's efforts to brush up my English. He has published the text in his news section
Old 21 August 2010, 10:24   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
That's a very nice looking boat

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2010, 15:10   #3

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Jan, Having done the same trip in April 2008 when with three friends we brought over my demo Parker 900RS from Poland to the UK I can only salute you and congratulate you for undertaking that trip. This is what ribbing is all about. well done. The Isle of Helgoland is one fantastic island and to think it was once British

We look forward to hearing more of your ribbing trips. Put Germany on the RibNet map cos we hear very little from there.
Old 24 August 2010, 18:42   #4

Town: Glasgow
Very smart looking rib and quite a journey. Do you mind me asking what kind of performance/consumption figures you get with the inboard engine and how big your fuel tank is? It would be nice to know what kind of range you get with it.

Many thanks
Old 24 August 2010, 20:48   #5
dnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Very smart looking rib and quite a journey. Do you mind me asking what kind of performance/consumption figures you get with the inboard engine and how big your fuel tank is? It would be nice to know what kind of range you get with it.

Many thanks
The way out was until Cuxhaven against a 3-ish knot current, from there 20nm with up to 5knots and then a knot head on. We rev'd with abt 3,600. The average consumption was 12.4l/h. Calm and flat water, except the usual chop west of Cuxhaven.

Back the revs were set to 3,000 from Helgoland to "Reede Aussenelbe", from there 3,800revs to Cuxhaven to avoid worsening conditions, and then 3,400revs back home. Thanks to good planning all the time with the tide, from Helgoland to Hamburg. I refueled after another trip only, but the overall average was 15l/h. This is due to the seas around Helgoland and the rougher part from Reede Aussenelbe to Cuxhaven in a chop, where we made 26kn (GPS).
The prop is a s/s Laser II, but dont know dia or pitch.

When cruising in more sheltered water with the kids, I go for 3,200 to 3,300 revs. That is good for 9.5l/h in good weather and flat water.
Max revs I get outa the engine are 4,100. It is rated with 4,200. Dont know the consumptio there. The data is more or less in accordance with the shop test data from Mercruiser:
http://www.cmdmarine.com/Products/Re...1.7/bc9101.pdf

Someone recently said the Parker 630 with the 1.7tdi Mercruiser is a bit "gutless". Well, once the 'turbo lag' (or how do you call it in English?) is passed acceleration is good. At the top end I see 30-ish knots, depending on loading and conditions. I do appreciate the fuelconsumption.
Interestingly, this is strongly dependent on inlet air- and cooling water temperature. In July we saw 38C air and 25C seawater temperature. Then it was indeed a bit gutless;-)

Regards
Jan

PS
The tank holds 110l, plus two jerry-cans of 20l and 10l, respectively.
Old 24 August 2010, 20:58   #6
dnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Jan, Having done the same trip in April 2008 when with three friends we brought over my demo Parker 900RS from Poland to the UK I can only salute you and congratulate you for undertaking that trip. This is what ribbing is all about. well done. The Isle of Helgoland is one fantastic island and to think it was once British

We look forward to hearing more of your ribbing trips. Put Germany on the RibNet map cos we hear very little from there.
If I remember my days at school correctly, 125yrs back the British Empire and The German Empire made a deal - Sansibar against Helgoland. In Germany known as the "penny deal", coz two Isles not much larger than a coin changed ownership

In the mid 1950ies Helgoland was the place of the largest man-made, non-nuclear explosion (intended, no accident). Before that, Helgoland had Oberland, the cliffs, and a bit of Unterland, the southern part. Since then there is Mittelland in addition...

Regards
Jan
Old 25 August 2010, 18:59   #7

Town: Glasgow
Jan, many tanks for the info, that is exactly what I was after.

Cheers and happy ribbing

Old 25 August 2010, 20:21   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Big piece about Helgoland on tonights edition of 'Coast'

Looks like a small Island with a huge and varied history.

Nasher
Old 25 August 2010, 21:08   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnv View Post
Someone recently said the Parker 630 with the 1.7tdi Mercruiser is a bit gutless"
Ah yes, that was me, sorry, nothing personal. These Britishers like their speed and would generally put at least 150HP on a rib that size, maybe 200!

For general cruising etc, your rig makes a lot of sense...
Old 25 August 2010, 22:10   #10
dnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ah yes, that was me, sorry, nothing personal. These Britishers like their speed and would generally put at least 150HP on a rib that size, maybe 200!

For general cruising etc, your rig makes a lot of sense...
Did not take it personal, no need to worry
If there was a setup with the same fuel economy but more power I'd like to have it. However it is sufficient to outperform the waterpolice. They stop me from time to time, pretending an inspection, and then start talking about pros and cons of the rib
Old 29 August 2010, 19:28   #11

Town: Kantens
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to jwtje
We heve also visid the isle Helgoland with 2 seariders from holland it was a verry long and hard trip but verry nice.

http://www.avonsearider.nl/index.php...d=251&Itemid=1
Old 03 September 2010, 09:07   #12

Town: West Sussex
For those who follow COAST on BBC then earlier in the week there was a piece about Helgoland. Interesting history about that cute island and what followed after WWII
Old 03 September 2010, 11:09   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Big piece about Helgoland on tonights edition of 'Coast'

Looks like a small Island with a huge and varied history.

Nasher
Very interesting it was too Nash!...pretty amazeing how much the population put up with to stay there!...INCLUDEING the biggest Non- NUKE explosion on the plannet!... [I would point out the Islanders were evacuated at the time!]

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote