Old 02 July 2003, 08:35   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
NW Ribsters weekend 28-29 June 2003 Section 4 - The Rescue

The Rescue, well several really and all between Puffin Island and Conwy.

Unfortunately due to the sea state I was unable to take photos of Matt transfering from 'Llynhome' to 'The Full Morty'. Believe me it was funny watching him slithering about on the tubes suspended between the two boats in a rather rough and unpredicatable sea. Particularly as one of the boats had almost no steering capability.

Anyway, that was rescue 1.

Ian's steering had been severely reduced. Basically he could either go in a tight circle or a straight line! As it was basically a straight line from Puffin Island to Conwy he decided to get lined up and 'go for it'. Nevermind the fact that he was unable to steer between the waves. The Searider hull just took it all and Ian ploughed through the lot. The other two boats kept a close eye on him and guided him back to the mouth of the estuary.

That was rescue 2.

We arrived much later than anticipated and someone had stolen a large chunk of the sea, leaving us to navigate through the channel.

Whilst doing so 'The Full Morty' came across...a motor cruiser anchored up because it's engine had failled and the tide was running rather fast...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue1.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2460  
Old 02 July 2003, 09:54   #2

...so Ged called up the harbourmaster and informed him. Then he tied the motor cruiser to 'The Full Morty' and began to tow it into the marina.

That was rescue 3.

The tide was running very fast and Llynhome, having no steering by now was in danger of getting swept onto the sandbanks. The channel has a dog leg and he could not steer around it so DM tied up alongside and tried to hold both boats off the bank. The depth meter was getting VERY agitated as the water level got rather shallow. With an effort of much engine revving DM managed to push Llynhome past the buoy and back into the deeper channel and into the safer water inside the estuary.

That was rescue 4.

Both boats were tied together and were heading towards the marina, when due to the extra load and engine revs Caprice ran out of fuel! Now we were both drifting towards a rather jagged sea wall.

The anchor had fortunately been made ready thanks to DM's foresight, and it was deployed to keep us off the wall. The boat was refulled and the the engine restarted.

That was rescue 5.

Unfortunately the anchor had caught hold of something and we couldn't get it up again! By now Ged had sorted out the motor cruiser and had come over to see what was happening. DM disconnected the anchor cable from Caprice and we 'stood off' with Llynhome whilst the intrepid crew of 'The Full Morty', Ged, Matt and Spiderman (the ribster formerly known as Crazyhorse) trided to rescue the anchor.

Much pulling, heaving, engine revving and swearing resulted in the anchor being retrieved. It seems that it had caught onto a large mooring chain.

We were all able to go off to the pontoon outside the marina and tie up.

That was rescue 6.

However there is a little more yet...
Old 02 July 2003, 10:07   #3

Having battled our way through many different sea states, the Caernarvon bar (an awesom standing wave), The Swellies, and all those rescues we were pretty knackered. It was during resuces 5 and 6 that we encountered 'Mr I'm going to open my mouth and sound like a twat fisherman'. I'm telling you he has no idea how close he came to having his rod shoved where the sun don't shine!

Whilst we were struggling to save Caprice and Llynhome being swept onto the jagged sea wall and then retrieving the anchor we drifted infront of some fishermen who were 'risking their lives sitting on the beach with a fishing rod'. No doubt this was the pinnacle of excitement in their lives. Anyway one idiot took exception to us trying to save our lives and our boats and right in the middle of this very obvious near calamity shouted over from the safety of the beach. ""Can't you lot go and PLAY somewhere else!"

Hmmmmm. Who was it who said "Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

(Well it was apparently Mark Twain actually)

Anyway, if you are ever in Conway and you see this berk, give him my regards...

Keith (it was a great weekend) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prat.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2461  
Old 02 July 2003, 10:18   #4

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Re: NW Ribsters weekend 28-29 June 2003 Section 4 - The Rescue

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Hart
Unfortunately due to the sea state I was unable to take photos of Matt transfering from 'Llynhome' to 'The Full Morty'. Believe me it was funny watching him slithering about on the tubes suspended between the two boats in a rather rough and unpredicatable sea. Particularly as one of the boats had almost no steering capability.
Yeah cheers Keith!
Couldn't risk simply stepping from Llynhome to The Full Morty, so Ged decided to just grab the handle on the back of my stab jacket and pull, just as the boats started drifting apart.

Good job on that beach photo, was in stitches when I saw that one

Matt
Old 02 July 2003, 11:13   #5
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
A few more pics

Ian and Matt having a breather after climbing through Bardsey Sound
Attached Thumbnails