Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
Morning Squire, I was wondering when you'd surface. Wanna buy a tinna Kiwi?

The Black Lump is already fitted with a 23" prop, so we'll just have to wait and see...

Thanks for the offer - you may regret it! First question - what does it sound like?

Hope you've got everything tied down - looks like we're in for another bumpy ride

Maybe the old saying about March will come true - "In like a lion, out like a lamb." Here's hoping
150 horses from 3 ltrs is very unstressed, at idle you'll need to check it's running,never really sounds loud or as if it's working hard...strong sense that it's never going to stop though, which to me is worth a lot. I think it's a good pick .

One point,it has a tilt limiting switch if the angle of your transom allows the engine up too far,it allows oil into the chambers, lots of white smoke runs like a sore arse, lots of worry (which now won't happen to you).. .

We've already got spray 20 feet above the bushes.

A car got washed of the road into the sea a month or two back,he managed to get out and a wave slung him back up the rocks....maybe just a thrill seeker.

let me know when your coming back down with the boat.
Old 29 February 2008, 20:03   #22

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
<snip>

We've already got spray 20 feet above the bushes.

A car got washed of the road into the sea a month or two back,he managed to get out and a wave slung him back up the rocks....maybe just a thrill seeker.

let me know when your coming back down with the boat.
Spray shmay. I went out to move Cowal, because she was jumping around a bit on the trailer. Took 5 minutes, mostly in the Jeep. All I had to do outside was get the car and hitch up. Less than 2 minutes outside. Finished manoeuvres, then went inside to get changed. Everything south of my navel was soaking

I saw that about the car - some soft roader thing, wasn't it? No great loss. Lucky fellah though!

We're doing our sea survival course on Cumbrae in a couple of weeks - if the weather sorts itself out we'll trundle over in Cowal. Fingers crossed!

Right, back to this new line I'm trying out - a Lindeman's Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile. Quite acceptable so far (fruity, smooth, peppery, lingering - enough about me), but at 14% perhaps a touch OTT for everyday glugging

Note to the Tall Controller: can we have one of those with wine glasses please? Some of us are posh
Old 01 March 2008, 22:36   #23

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
The quality of the fittings is OK; functional rather than luxurious. But who ever bought a Humber to impress the ladies? I think I'd like the seat back brought forward, but not the pod, if you see what I mean. Then I'd have more back support and still have foot room between seat and console to move around. Perhaps lash a cushion to the back rest?

I did this very thing on my last Humber by bending the stainless frame forward to get the backrest closer to me, made a big difference.
I have never doubted Humber strength, my last one, even being an Assault, was strong enough to take out in some fairly silly conditions and I would give up before the boat.
Your boat is a bit longer and wider than mine so will be heavier but the weights for OP are heavier for the same boat lengths compared to destroyers.
When I pick mine up in a couple of weeks I'll try various seat pods at the factory and see what fits. If nothing does Leeway make a narrower one.
Old 03 March 2008, 08:52   #24
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Prop size if it helps...

Hi we were out this weekend around Holy Loch, was a little lumpy in places

We put our new prop on for trials (23"). Engine reached 6050 (top rpm on 175 is 6100 and our top speed of the day was 41knt (into tide) 4 adults usual gear, 90l fuel
so really happy with the set up.

Im no expert and perhaps IBEWET can advise better 23 may be over pitched on 150??

Our boat: LOA: 6.50 m Beam: 2.60 m Draft: 50 cm Hull weight 560kg
Old 05 March 2008, 21:18   #25

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs

Today was the first available time we had to go out on the water and start the tedious business of running in: plenty of warm up time, trundle round at tickover for quarter of an hour, then two hours of no more than 3000rpm.

Which would have been fine, but a) it was F6 with gusts in Lamlash Bay; and b) I got the feeling that this engine wants to move.

Restraint, restraint! Gently up to 3k with two on board plus 140 litres of petrol, no extraneous kit (not going far...). Ooh. 3k is about 17-18 knots. Interesting. Some while later - I'll just push the stick a little. Just to loosen things up a bit more. Slowly up to 4k. About 25 knots, no stress - but the 115 would be up to nearly 5k by now. OK then, cruise around a bit, trundle down to Whiting Bay, let's see what occurs.

Must be nearly two hours by now? What happens at 5k? Er, stuff happens, that's what! Suddenly we're doing 32-33 knots, and Cowal has become a different boat. Instead of being pushed around by the waves, she's shooting through the tops and we only get an occasional bang from a reflected wave.

Back into Lamlash Bay, a bit of shelter now. For about a mile northwards from King's Cross Point, the sea is more settled. Not flat, but not too choppy.

Well, you've got to, haven't you? Push that throttle a bit more - keep pushing - oops. There's no movement left, 5800 on the tacho...

...E. took the photos in the "Wake Shot" thread...

...she said it was interesting going backwards across Lamlash Bay.

At 40 knots
Old 05 March 2008, 21:33   #26

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Old 06 March 2008, 16:44   #27
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
I was out today teaching in a 5.4 searider with a 60 on the back, felt like a toy after the weekend

Good to hear you got out Grocer and that your boat performs well.

Roll on the summer.....
Old 22 March 2008, 08:34   #28

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Hi we were out this weekend around Holy Loch, was a little lumpy in places

We put our new prop on for trials (23"). Engine reached 6050 (top rpm on 175 is 6100 and our top speed of the day was 41knt (into tide) 4 adults usual gear, 90l fuel
so really happy with the set up.

Im no expert and perhaps IBEWET can advise better 23 may be over pitched on 150??

Our boat: LOA: 6.50 m Beam: 2.60 m Draft: 50 cm Hull weight 560kg
I'm no expert with props (just staggering around like the rest of us ) but from my time with the this particular set up , the 23" seems the right choice,based on the boat being a little longer a little heavier, the only proviso to that would be, my engine loosened up which might have you over revving.

Possibly because the ratio is so low, we might be (me included) going about this the wrong way, maybe the diameter of the prop being larger would give a better result. I started looking at 4 blader's to increase the surface area which still might be the way to go, but lost the will to live after getting one sent from the states (expensive) that lifted the stern to the extent the boat ploughed all over the place and I lost 4 knts, I've just not looked at it again.

Just a wee one on yours. There was a bloke on here with a 6.5 RC with your engine (175) apparently doing 45knts with the 23 "... he was selling it which might have influenced his speed, but 4 knots is a lot, how fast was your tide?

JW is much better, at this type of thing than me.

For reference my set up does 47knts at 5,900, I've raised the engine 1 bolt hole which gave a little more speed, engine sounds a little fruitier as well

You are welcome to swop props with the 25" on my engine if you wish? You too Granville..