Old 29 May 2004, 21:12   #1

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
My "new" ride....

Hi guys,

not long ago I was bothering the experts here about an unknown RIB which I wanted to buy- unfortunatly the deal was canceled, so I had to look for something else.... On the picture you can see what I got me now for the upcoming boating-season: It`s an "AVON Supersport S 4.65 R.I.B." which definetly is a rare boat over here in Germany!! Glad I found it..... The hullshape is what you would call "moderate-V" but for over here it`s still a good-angled V for rough water usage.. The boat has a 75hp Honda fourstroke at it`s transom and has a jockey-console with a complete set of gauges and a Lowrance 240 GPS/ fishfinder/ chartplotter!
Took her out today right after pickup- wow, what a nice ride- at least when you`re used to Wiking`s, DSB`s, Gugel`s and what else is produced here in Germany! I´m really impressed about the strength of the hull, no banging through choppy waters and feeling like you`re sitting inside a drum! The boat reaches a topspeed of about 39 knots and I really thinks this is enough- starts to wiggle it`s tail a little atop of 35kn..... nonetheless I`m very happy so far. The boat has not been that well maintained, but we`ll change this soon, you bet!
Is there somebody else in here who rides such a boat? Would be great to swap some pix and experiences, wouldn`t it?

greetings from the lonelinest RIB`er in northern Germany,
Wolfie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avon_8 ribnet.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	6024  
Old 30 May 2004, 08:22   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Wolfie nice boat looks lots of fun, happy Ribbing.
Nick
Old 30 May 2004, 11:07   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Congratulation Ribfreak (wolfie) and have great future ribbing

Old 30 May 2004, 14:57   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Nice looking boat. Congrats!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2004, 22:11   #5

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfreak
Is there somebody else in here who rides such a boat? Would be great to swap some pix and experiences, wouldn`t it?
Bilge Rat on the forum has exactly the same boat with an Evinrude 50 2-stroke, and here it is.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0048a.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	6039  
Old 31 May 2004, 20:25   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
avons and the meaning of life !!

Ribfreak

Phils absolutely correct, if you need any advise please ask, i've pretty much see it all and have the scars to prove it.....and i'm still seeing it
Old 01 June 2004, 11:03   #7

Hello Bilge Rat (what a name...),

nice to hear that somebody`s pushing the same rig than I do now! When were these boats made by Avon? Do you have any spec-sheet or maybe even an old catalogue of them? I`m always interested in the history of my current boat, that`s why I`m asking.... Your boat is looking very nice and well maintained- did you buy it new? The one I`ve recently bought is a little worn down and bleached, the last owner wanted to make some improvements, took the silicone-gun and plastered and "sealed" almost everything on the boat and every patch on the tubes as well.... he easily toped this by trying to "paint" the steering-console- must have poured the paint over it and squeezed it out a little bit- looks like if a galopping bull had pissed it over- what an idiot! It`ll probably take me some winter- hours to correct all this, not even to mention the white anti-fouling that this whacko painted the hull with..... anyway, it was dirt-cheap, so what the ....... I´m happy everytime I can bring`er out, such a nice and smooth ride! What is the top speed yours is doing? I`m just asking because your motor must only have half the weight of that monster which I have on the stern..... looks like sh.... but I have to admit that these engines are running well- won´t change anything on this but I bet that yours is handling better....

greetings,
Wolfie
Old 01 June 2004, 11:06   #8

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Every boat I see lately seams to be larger than 7,00 m, which makes me feel rather on the small side.
Luckily there some ribers that prefer smaller ribs, thus I may see myself on the "big" side.

Accept my wishes for safe sails and smooth seas.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2004, 19:12   #9

This is a nice post, batfalcon,
I always think I´m the only member of the working class amongst a bunch of millionairs when entering this site.... All the guys here are writing and talking of boats that I`ll never be able to afford, don`t know how they make it?! Anyway, this is a very good site for getting good and fast advice, so that`s why I`m really enjoying surfing through it! But I`d also like to have a section in here where I could find some more bread-n-butter Ribsters....

greetings,
Wolfie
Old 01 June 2004, 20:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribfreak
I always think I´m the only member of the working class amongst a bunch of millionairs when entering this site
Nonsense, Wolfie, don't let such thoughts put you off. Surely you can't fail to have noticed that the North West Ribsters even embrace members from the peasant classes of Liverpool and Wolverhampton. Note also that, although a multi-millionaire myself, I currently choose to run a modest 4.0m Avon Searider with a mere 30hp engine.
Old 01 June 2004, 20:26   #11

Town: Greyabbey
Boat name: Keltoi
Make: Naked Ribs (Self Build)
Length: 6 six
Engine: Suzuki 140 fs
Hi Ribfreak, good looking rig you got there. There is nothing wrong with being a member of the sub 5m club, I regularly throw one around for my sailing club here in Northern Ireland.

I have great memories of sailing on the Dummersee, nice manmade lake. Only 5 feet in depth anywhere you fall in!!!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NSC safety1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	6107   Click image for larger version

Name:	NSC safety2.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6108  
Old 01 June 2004, 21:55   #12

Hey Phil,

but you`ve got to admit that most of the threads are dealing with problems of boat-classes that a normal human being can not buy due to the constant lack of money.....
Just recently I`ve read about somebody who was asking wether to buy a VOLVO T5, an AUDI Quattro or even a VW Touareg?! Sure, exactly my class, yep- are we having fun here? While we`re just at it: Why not buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo to tow an also brand new 8-9m RIB with, at least, twin 250hp fourstroke Suzukis behind it? The 450hp of the Porsche should be just sufficient to drag that baby out of the water- or not? Problems over problems- exactly what I`m worrying for day in day out.....

Maybe it`s because all these millionaires have nothing better to do than posting in here while the common employee and member of the sub-5m-class has to work his butt off for them ;-)
Still waving the red flag- at least until I`ve made the first million by myself! ... and don`t take my words too serious on this.....

Wolfie
Old 01 June 2004, 22:11   #13

Mein lieber Wolfie, bitte keine Aufregung, es ist alles nur Witz!

By the way, I visit a client occasionally in Flensburg, well Budelsdorf actually -Ahlmann Baumaschinen. I'll pop in and see your RIB next time I'm over
Old 01 June 2004, 22:21   #14

Hey Phil,

look at this- that`s a big-one, just chump-change for ya`....

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...480913986&rd=1

Nice lil` boat....
You`re always welcome here, it`s just about 80km up north from Buedelsdorf!

greetings,
Wolfie
Old 01 June 2004, 22:26   #15

So, they've got RIBs in Switzerland, eh? Bet you hate them, highest proportion of millionaires per capita this side of Monaco
Old 02 June 2004, 07:22   #16

Davies you know the only reason you go out to Germany is for your regular visit to Madam Helgars house of pain

Ribfreak...... I can answer pretty much all of your questions as i've pretty much rebuilt my entire boat....i bought mine about a year ago for not much money, the boat and engine are almost 15 years old and everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, first the fuel tank, then the engine, and the latest thing is the transom which i had replaced, the engine was rebuilt and now gets me about 30 knots on a flat sea with just me aboard.

mine was very faded too when i bought it, you can clean the tubes with cheap cream cleaner and a nylon pad, its hard work but eventually you will get something like the original colour back, have someone who knows what they are doing look at the tube repairs and others here will be able to advise you about removing the antifoul from the hull !

Let me know how you get on.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:08   #17

Hello BilgeRat,

that sounds really normal to me, exactly the way I can afford a RIB! Mine was also not expensive and so far is doing well, no real problems.... I`m very interested in bringing a little more original color back on the tubes, so, please, tell me more about that cleaner-polish-varnish-detergent that you`ve used- what brand is it? Just remember that it is much more difficult to get products for inflatables over here in Germany because they`re not that widely spread! I don`t actually need to repair the tubes, I just had to take off the handles on both sides close to the transom because my A-frame is very close to the tubes and I want to be able to fold it down-forward for putting a canvas over the boat! Wouldn`t make much sense to re-polish the tubes and then leave them in the sun uncovered, wouldn`t it?
Mine is doing almost 40 knots with the Honda, but it starts to feel a little over-powered (or better: over weighted at the stern?) atop of 33kn- I`ve installed some fins on the lower-unit, normally they`ll only cost you some topspeed but in this case may help stabilizing the boat a little bit more and I have some knots to spend for that, don`t wanna do more than 35kn, that`s enough....

greetings,
Wolfie
Old 02 June 2004, 11:13   #18

Ribfreak

Try using CIF to scrub your tubes, it should be available in any german supermarket, and you need to apply it with a nylon scouring pad, beware though there's only so many times you can drag the colour back so dont over do it too much...... the cleaners your'll get in any chandlers will only remove dirt and grim from the tubes, if they are sun faded as mine were this was the only way i was able to get the boat from a salmon pink colour back to some sort of orange.
Its also worth having a good look at your transom too, mine had been soaking up water for what must have been years and was rotten through, you have max engine weight and HP on yours so you need to make sure the transom is in A1 condition or your'll have problems...... to check lower the engine and by getting a good hold on it try and lift it, the transom should not flex or give, if it does waters soaked inside probably.

rat
Old 02 June 2004, 11:16   #19

Also worth having a good look over the trailer too, the pic you posted looks ok but its worth investing in some new bearings and checking all the joints and u bolts for corrosion, cant be anything worse than spending lots of time renervating your boat only to lose it down the Autobarhn
Old 02 June 2004, 17:24   #20

Hello BilgeRat,
I already checked the trailer, it`s fine and although it doesn`t look so it`s only 4 years old, so no probs there.... The transom is always a point of concern, I`ve already recognized that it moves just a little, little bit sometimes but I think this is because the enormous weight of that Honda Civic- engine in an outboard dress! When I recall it correctly it weighs 183kg, which is really enough for this transom without any rot at all! The boat was always stored on its trailer in a garage, so there has possibly no soaking or rotting occured so far! What is remarkable is that somebody once installed an elephant-trouser for draining the hull and the cut-out hole through the transom is the one and only place where the former owner (remember the guy with the silicone-gun?!) hasn`t sealed with this fuckin` stuff- this was the only place he should have done so!!!!
I`ll go out now and do the transom-test.... results later!

greetings,
Wolfie