Old 17 August 2007, 16:05   #1

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
My new RIB

15.5ft long, hypalon, anchor locker, dry storage bench seat, mini-console to leave room for scuba gear, custom tank rack, 60hp 4-stroke Yam. The hull is a single peice of 3/16" 5000 series aluminum formed with a single weld near the bow. Lots of thoughtful touches like the Stainless grommet in the bow eye and the hull plate extension which makes it effectively a 16ft boat. The deck is 1/2 style - only covers the very bottom of the V. 14deg deadrise, handles choppy water very well. Max speed with the Yamaha 60 is about 31knots with a single person and flat water. I have it pitched down a little (10.5x13") since it will mostly have a 2-4 diver load.

Made by Polaris in Langely BC.

Now has a combo GPS/sounder and fixed VHF (not installed when the pics were taken). Also now has a grab bar which goes around the console.

Used 90% for diving. Newfoundlands extra

Old 17 August 2007, 17:23   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Looks nice and rugged - tough as old boots. Aluminium not that popular over here on RIBs smaller than about 9m.
Old 17 August 2007, 18:34   #3

Here in Puget Sound BC waters we have rocky "beaches" and lots of logs and debris in the water. So aluminum is one of the most desirable materials to make boats (in general) out of. Weather's generally not too hot either so the decks don't get uncomfortable.
Old 17 August 2007, 20:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Here in Puget Sound BC waters we have rocky "beaches" and lots of logs and debris in the water. So aluminum is one of the most desirable materials to make boats (in general) out of. Weather's generally not too hot either so the decks don't get uncomfortable.
We tend to have conditions like those as well - thrown in with massive Atlantic swells and high winds - still don't see much ali around. Doesn't exactly get very hot here either......................
Old 17 August 2007, 21:11   #5

Why do you think that is? Cost? Alis easy enough to work. Its more and more popular around here every year
Old 17 August 2007, 21:48   #6

Quote:
Why do you think that is? Cost? Alis easy enough to work. Its more and more popular around here every year
I don't know - I suspect people stick with what they are familiar with. Ali boats are very popular downunder as well. I wonder if it's a coincidence that Canada and australia both have huge aluminium industries???
Old 17 August 2007, 21:54   #7

Ditto for all the Pacific NW. Relatively cheap hydropower, couple of AL smelters here. Most were built in the 30s and 40s. Part of the reason we cranked out planes in WW2.
Old 17 August 2007, 22:11   #8

That's why all Land Rovers are aluminium bodies - there was a shortage of steel after the war but a big surplus in scrap aluminium from aircraft. Hell there's a thought - early LRs were probably once spitfires - sacrilege!!!

My favourite RIBs which are built in Wales are aluminium though.

http://www.mustangmarine.com/ribwork...olio/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bas-500.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	29342   Click image for larger version

Name:	bladerunner-500.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	29343  
Old 17 August 2007, 22:27   #9

Look similar to these:
http://www.safeboats.com/default/boats.html

Which have rigid foam not inflated tubes. So much $$$ in government/ Coast Guard boats they don't even built for individuals anymore.
Old 17 August 2007, 23:28   #10

The Ocean Dynamics boats were designed by one of the father's of RIBs - Shaun Whyte - a true gent but sadly died last year. The boats are still built by the same company though. They are designed for rough seas and shallow waters - no transom and jet drive with proper inflatable tubes.

I agree these boats aren't cheap. Typically about £150,000 or $300,000.

They started off as extreme whitewater thrill rides but with ever increasing litigation they gave up on that when one capsized with 12 people on board - sitting on the tubes meant they were all thrown clear and nobody was hurt but it really scared Shaun!!!

The yellow boat is one of these in action - the water just streams out of the back.
Old 18 August 2007, 11:11   #11

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Thats 2 big pooches that yu got there in that rib any room for anybody else on deck.
Old 17 October 2007, 21:18   #12

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
Dive ladder

Really nice looking RIB.... Since you use yours for diving, and I didn't notice a dive ladder, how do your divers re-enter the RIB ? I'm looking at a transom A-Frame with a hinged ladder attached and wondered how you solved this problem.
Old 17 October 2007, 21:25   #13

I have a few 1-2m cords rigged up along the d-rings on the sides. At the end of each is a boltsnap (like on a dog collar but stainless). We clip that off to our BCs or other scuba gear. Slide out of the gear in the water, the cord keeps it close to the boat. Take the weightbelt off and toss it over the tube. Then just use your fins and a bit of a beached whale move to swim yourself over the tube.

Then reach down and haul your BC/tank, scooter, camera, whatever into the boat. The tubes on mine are 19.5" (0.49M) diameter. If yours are similar this approach works well. I don't know if it would still work with vastly larger tubes.
Old 24 October 2007, 04:03   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Very nice looking RIB! Polaris makes excellent products.
Old 24 October 2007, 16:12   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Congrats on the boat, Jack.

Polaris is pretty nice to work with, and their post-sale customer service is as excellent as you could ask for.

Have a blast;

jky
Old 29 October 2007, 03:18   #16

Town: Anchorage
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: Yamaha 40
About how much do these polaris boats go for? I'm up in AK and the aluminum bottomed rib would be perfect for me, since I could take it up in the shallow rivers. I think what you have would be the perfect size, not too small, and not bigger than I need.
Old 29 October 2007, 17:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
About how much do these polaris boats go for? I'm up in AK and the aluminum bottomed rib would be perfect for me, since I could take it up in the shallow rivers. I think what you have would be the perfect size, not too small, and not bigger than I need.
LOL. I get that question all the time.

Bottom line is that it costs as much as you want to put into it. Polaris builds RIB's to order, so the cost depends on what you want stuck on in addition to a hull, tubes, and motor (and all that is highly variable as well.)

Figure out what you are interested in (they make aluminum hulls in several thicknesses: 1/8", 5/32", and 1/4" being standard), and lengths from 8'6" up to well over 40' (though 33' is the largest they list on the site.)

I spent about a year talking to Guy via phone before we finalized hull, motor, and amenities (I wanted near-top-of-the-line stuff, but couldn't really afford it); he was quite willing to run up the design without firm commitment. I suggest giving him a call if you really want to know what you're looking at.

http://www.polarisboats.com
(604) 534-5585

Luck;

jky
Old 29 October 2007, 19:49   #18

The Canadian dollar is at par or exceeds the US dollar in value right now, so that sucks if you are considering a Polaris from the States
Old 31 October 2007, 15:59   #19

Quote:
The Canadian dollar is at par or exceeds the US dollar in value right now, so that sucks if you are considering a Polaris from the States
True enough; which is another reason I didn't state a price.

Not really much you can do about it though, except wait...

jky