Old 31 May 2006, 09:09   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Kylesku

Hi folks

I managed to get a 'volunteer' who was brave (naive) enough to come out with me to photograph the seal collony at Kylesku.

It was a day of very mixed weather and intermittent squalls. The lochs have steep sides and are well inland so the sea swell does not reach. However the wind can really get channelled down the lochs and it can get VERY choppy.

It was pouring with rain when we arrived but undeterred we unloaded and prepared to launch. I could see seals on the small island opposite the slip and we were soon in the water and gently making our way towards them.

We were well rewarded for our efforts and were soon surronded by curious seals popping their heads out of the water to look at us. Others lay on the rocks staring in our direction. It is a truly awe inspiring location, surrounded by precipitous and wild mountains with the seals swimming around the SIB.

We spent some time with the seals and then I decided to venture down Loch Glencoul into Loch Beag to take a look at 'Eas a Chual Aluinn' - this highest waterfall in the UK (4 times higher than Niagra Falls). You can only get the best views of the watterfall by boat.

It was fairly easy going down there as the wind was behind us. The location of the fall is spectacular, amongst brooding mountains towering high above us and with dark stormy skies overhead. We spent a few minutes in this fantastic location then I decided to set of back to Kylesku slipway as the wind was freshening.

It was bumpy journey back...well VERY bumpy actualy. I had to take it quite steady as the waves were about 1m, which is quite big when you are in a 3.6m SIB. Spray was crashing over the bows and my crew member (Douglas) was holding on tight. It was 'exciting'. Douglas was under water half of the time. He realised just why I had insisted that he wear the drysuit and goggles.

Anyway we arrived back safeley and all in one piece. A little battered but on a 'high' from our aventure.

Yup, my SIB may be small but it is certainly the passport to adventure...

Keith (wet brackets) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-5.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	19702   Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	19703   Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	19704   Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	19705   Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	19706  

Old 31 May 2006, 09:12   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Here is a general view of Kylesku with 'The Statesman' steaming down towards the waterfall.

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kylesku-6.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	19707  
Old 31 May 2006, 09:23   #3

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
looks good fun, i can totally relate to the "sib" experience, very small - 2.6 metres with a merc 7.5, a small swell seems very scary! - but like to say the passport to adventure - good pics mate