Old 14 October 2003, 14:02   #21

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
Just found this thread. I know it was a while ago, but what would be the fiberglass thickness for something like a Jockey seat. I am currently refurbishing the whole of my boat and one of the things I was going to add to the project was a new console ( my current one that came with the RIB is not really the right shape and size for me to fit everything ). When I measure through my current console ( which is a combined console and seat and can seat 2 people ), it measures around about 5mm in thickness. I never really thought that this would be thick enough to hold that much weight but I guess it must be.

If I was laminating a new console, what would the recommended thickness be when using CSM ( probably combined with Woven Roving Fabric ) and using polyester resin. I cannot see any type of reinforcement in my current one when I have had to cut bits out of it.
Old 14 October 2003, 17:59   #22

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Thickness

I am trying to remember I think we had an initial gel coat layer a layer of random chopped strand, an impregnated layer of a cloth sponge (i forget the name of this material) it adds thickness and soaks resin in, it equalls about 2 laminations of random mat a further layer of random mat all impregnated with resin, a final paint thickness of flow coat on the inside, when the bases were cut off the seat towers the total thickness was about 5mm , in our case we reinforced the back corners of the seats to take rests if required, but moreso than the thickness its the shape that gave the seats their strength.In our console I remember from cutting holes for gauges etc, there is plywood used in the construction, it is not a complete grp console, the top of it is grp, but its uprights etc are ply coated in grp.It is a heavy moulding and needs this internal wood for the strength it has.Our seats have been well and truly tested I would think 5 or 6 mm is thick enough but a console needs to have wood, think of the stress it is under, with steering wheel mounts, hand holds and wind resistance.If I had to build a console I would use half inch marine ply in the construction and coat this in grp and then gelcoat.It would be worth dropping Tim a pm or email, he has done a lot of work with fiberglass, he knows a few tricks and the chemicials that are used, one big project he worked on involved a lot of moulding and building stuff from fiberglass for a Trimaran , multihull sail boat, after its refit it completed a trip from Ireland to Tahiti.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2003, 17:44   #23

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
coremat

This is the name of the stuff I couldnt remember like a cloth layer that draws in resin

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote