Old 24 July 2005, 18:55   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Humminbird barometer works!!

Well ,found out that the barometer feature on my humminbird GPS/fishfinder works pretty well after all
I was a little apprehensive as to it's usefulness but turned out to be pretty accurate.
We had taken the boat up to the Laguna Mts. for a fishing /camping vacation . Cuyamaca lake is a few miles from a steep drop off to the Anza Barrago desert below where temperatures were over the 100' mark.
So it was a clear blue sky for fishing when the humminbird showed the darkest rainclouds and precipitation icons on the scale
I thought it was just misreading ,until later in the afternoon storm clouds started to show over the end of the lake.
A distant rumbling confirmed that being in open water was not the best place to be.
So we packed up for the day and headed back taking a couple of touristy shots for the album.
It was hot at the campsite when a little warm rain started to fall. As the evening approached so the rumblings got worse until all hell broke loose. We were in the middle of the worst electrical storm I have ever seen;and not in a particulary good location (amidst the trees ) .The storm raged for hours coming and going and as the local paper reported'

[I]San Diego, CA) -- An estimated 16-hundred lightning strikes over a 12-hour period on Saturday sparked numerous small brushfires yesterday and last night. The California Division of Forestry had a full staff alert throughout the day.[/I]

Luckily the tent held and was dry and the brush fires were quickly handled by the forestry service. (This was the same area that was ravaged by the severe fires 2 years ago that had national coverage.)
So certainly getting our share of adventure this year and starting to trust in the electronics!!!
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lake small.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	13534   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp small.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	13535   Click image for larger version

Name:	smokey small.JPG