Click Here to Login

Old 03 January 2015, 17:48   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Easing into Easdale by The Gurnard

With Poly recently announcing the Scottish SIB 2015 gathering is proposed to be around the Oban - ish area ... I thought I would start a new post on an adventure I had by SIB, a couple of years ago.. for no other reason than to whet appetites and give a brief flavour for the area for those not so familiar with it. It is around 32 miles in length and heads for Easdale..before rounding it then heading back to Oban..as shown in the map.

When I go SIB’ing from Oban.. I normally launch from the public slipway at Ganavan Sands just north of Oban town. There is a large council car park at the top of the slipway and the cost is around £2 per day to park. There is no overnight parking allowed .. but there is a hamburger van for those wanting coffee or a snack.
Use of the slipway is free.. however it should be noted that it is a busy beach with holiday makers plus kids swimming and playing in the area. I launch early before anyone is on the shore..and return around early evening when most folks have gone home for dinner. Even then I always shut down the engine off shore and row the last 100 yards to land. Its only good etiquette and safe practise on a tourist beach.

The slipway is huge as it was built for launching seaplanes during the war years.. so even a beginner can reverse down this slipway with no problems.

The sand is firm although I don’t drive on it.. at low tide.. I use my inflatable rollers to get the SIB back to its trailer.. or if its not far..just shove the trailer by hand.

This journey was one of my first with this SIB..so it wasn’t fitted out with fishbox furniture then. I just threw everything onboard in a totally random manner.

It doesn’t take long to reach Maiden’s Island at the entrance to Oban Bay ..so called because of local legend that a Celtic warrior was in love with the daughter of a local man. There was some doubts about the daughter’s chastity and it was decided she should be tied by her hair to a rock on the shore of the island ... to test her purity. Unfortunately her hair held her fast..and she drowned as the tide came in .. so the Warrior never knew if she was a true fair maiden

The island also marks the edge of the narrow shipping entrance to Oban bay..so its worth stopping and looking both ways before crossing the busy channel. The Cal Mac Ferries take no prisoners .. whether guilty or not .. as they sweep their speedy way across the sea to Mull or beyond. If you have a VHF radio..they do warn in advance of their entering or leaving Oban harbour..on channel 16.

To be continued...
Old 04 January 2015, 15:05   #2

It was a lovely July morning and a real pleasure zipping along the exposed seaward side of the lovely Island of Kerrera.

Although the island has a small population of approx 34 people ..you get a feeling of remoteness as there is little sign of houses or buildings on its western side. If it had been too choppy.. I would have gone down the sheltered eastern side ..through the Sound of Kerrera.

There is a healthy population of Ferral goats on most the small islands off the west coast of Scotland. With no natural predators ..except perhaps the odd starving human.. they seem to flourish in the wilds

Here the billy goat shelters from the sun while his kids play above him on the rocks.

It doesn’t take long to travel the length of Kerrera.. and you know you are nearing the southern tip when you see the Bach Island... it is the one that looks like a submarine off my starboard bow.

In a wind..it can get quite choppy passing through the gap between Kerrera and Bach island ..especially if the tide is running against the wind. There was hardly a ripple on the surface on this journey. The photo is looking back at Bach Island with Mull in the distant horizon.

There are a few strange rock sculptures on the southern end of Kerrera ...

And also the ruins of Gylan Castle. There are many old castles on the west of Scotland..presumably built to defend the locals from invading Viking ships.

I then crossed the Sound of Kererra for a nosy in Loch Feochan. This photo is looking up the Sound ..into Oban bay..at the far end.

To be continued...
Old 19 January 2015, 09:11   #3

Town: Manchester
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke
Hi Gurnard.

Really enjoying your posts and got me planning a trip over to Scotland for this summer with the family. We have done Loch Lomond a few times but will be exploring Loch Etive and the Oban and Mull area also camping wild as we go.

I am currently toying with the idea of cruising over to the Isle of Mull with the sib rather than car and ferry and explore around the Isle of Mull with the sib and wild camp there with a bit of fishing chucked in. Obviously weather etc will have the final say but not knowing the area personally I was hoping you can advice if its doable on good weather days and any dangers to be aware off. I have a full UK gold navionics charts but for some reason that area is not visible on my charts.

Another option is to launch from Lochaline to cross over to Fishnish on the Mull as we will be on that side exploring Loch Sunart possibly.

I'll be using my Aerotec 380 with 25hp.

Regards.
Old 19 January 2015, 11:09   #4

Hi Chris and all.. sorry its been so long for the continuation of this adventure. I took a virus which left me with a head cold and total lack of motivation for anything just after my last post. Fortunately Im now back in the land of the living..so will continue the journey soon.

To answer your questions on Mull Chris..it is perfectly doable to visit Mull in a Sib.. assuming the weather is kind. I have not been round the west side of the island but know folks who have kayaked the complete circuit so there are no obvious dangers for small craft.

There is a decent tide race off the southern end of Lismore and Duart Castle on Mull..but its nothing to worry about in good weather. This photo shows the race on a flat calm day. The lighthouse Eilean Musdile is off the souther tip of Lismore. Watch the wake from the Cal Mac ferry if you meet one in the tide race.

After that it is plain sailing all the way up the Sound of Mull to Tobermory. This photo is looking back at the lighthouse and the mainland at Oban.

I have also come down the way to Mull from Resipole on Loch Sunnart. Its plain sailing from there too. Loch Sunnart’s tide race is at the narrows of Eilean Mor..to the east of Resipole.... So you don’t go through them .They can be interesting on a windy day.

Cruising down Loch Sunnart..which is good for fishing..if you are really lucky and target them..you can get huge Skate here..up to 200lb in the loch..but they are protected..so put them back if you get one.

Crossing the open stretch of sea to the North end of the Sound of Mull and heading for Tobermory.

Shelter in Tobermory Harbour..time to land for famous but very expensive Fish and Chips :-D

Nothing to worry about from tides going that direction.

Plan B .. whichever way you go.. If the wind blows up unexpectedly .. you can always get a ferry back to the Mainland from Mull and collect the boat by car :-D Hope that helps some.

Once you start exploring the west ..you will soon realise Loch Lomond is like Tobermory’s famous Fish and Chips.. very over rated.

Enjoy your visit and I hope the weather is kind.
Old 19 January 2015, 14:56   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

..... like Tobermory’s famous Fish and Chips.. very over rated.
You musta been there on a bad day Mr Gurnard!
Old 19 January 2015, 15:49   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You musta been there on a bad day Mr Gurnard!
Yep!
Mc Gochans at least do a Top notch Haddock and Chips
Nice pics..recognise em all fondly!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 17:03   #7

Hi again guys ..and yup..I may just have caught the fish on a bad day. Either that... or Im spoiled by my local chipper.. the Allanwater

I should also perhaps be a bit more specific.. I was referring to the Fisherman’s Pier which Prince Charle’s was very impressed by and it also has a Les Routier award for its fish and Chips.

They cook the fish to order so it is fresh and in all honesty.. it is delicious. However the size of fish was very disappointing. I have thrown larger back in the water as too small to keep.

Both myself and the guy in front ordered the large size Haddock Suppers. I think his facial expression tells the tail on the size of his fish too.

The seagulls didn’t get a scrap from either of us...so that tells a tale too
Old 19 January 2015, 18:15   #8

Town: Oban
Length: no boat
Looking to do lots of trips like this in the summer. I stay in Oban so anyone looking for an extra rib to tag along them give me a shout. So many places to explore on the west coast.
Old 19 January 2015, 18:23   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coaster View Post
Looking to do lots of trips like this in the summer. I stay in Oban so anyone looking for an extra rib to tag along them give me a shout. So many places to explore on the west coast.
Hi why not come and join us on ERR and you will meet plenty of Ribbers and make contacts plus enjoy a great weekends ribbing
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 18:42   #10

Yeah I'm definitely going to take the rib down to that. I'm guessing the final plans will be posted on here nearer the time..?
Old 19 January 2015, 19:01   #11

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coaster View Post
Yeah I'm definitely going to take the rib down to that. I'm guessing the final plans will be posted on here nearer the time..?

Plans are on the website go to the ERR thread for links. See you there.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 19:28   #12

Perfect. Thanks. Just look for the yellow rib that looks out of control and that will be me. Haha.
Old 20 January 2015, 11:57   #13

Town: Manchester
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke
Gurnard.

Thank you for the detailed reply and pics, very much appreciated and will help greatly in trip planning. The more I look into the more places there are to explore on Mull, doubt ill circumnavigate the Isle of mull but definitely like to explore the west of Mull like Staffa, Ulva and so on.

Looking forward to your next adventures.

Regards.
Chris.
Old 20 January 2015, 13:09   #14

Yup..the west of Mull has some interesting places to visit in a SIB Chris.. I will get there one day.. but this year I hope to target Skye and its satellite islands.. so perhaps next year. I do plan on a wild camp on the Garvellachs early this year before the midge season starts :-D

Back to this adventure...if I recall correctly.. I stopped for my first tea break ..by drifting at the mouth of Loch Feochan. I dropped some of my killer lures into the water but the local fish turned their nose up at them..or more probably.. the fish were not below my boat.

I eased my nose back out into the Firth of Lorn...just in time to see the Lady of Avenel pass..on her way to Oban. She has twelve berths for guests to charter..for folks that enjoy a Tall Ship sailing experience.

I then notice a whole regatta of yachts coming down the Sound of Kerrera from Oban. That’s when the penny dropped. I realise it was the “West Highland Regatta week”. Sailors from around the world combine racing and social meetings during this week. They were very much in the doldrums as there was hardly a puff of wind.

I knew I would be well out their way if I headed south.. so made my way towards Eilean Duin and one of the most scenic safe anchorages on the west of Scotland. I noted the island as a possible wild camp spot for the future. Three kayaks were hauled onto the shore and I could see their tents in a little hollow.

But before entering the anchorage .. I had a look at the only bridge over the Atlantic Ocean.. at Clachan. The bridge joins the mainland to the lovely Isle of Seal. Its possible to circumnavigate the Isle by going through the bridge at high tide. However..I knew the tide was falling and did not want left high and dry in the narrow atlantic channel.

So I ventured round the coast to the anchorage for a second tea break and a look at the boats still sleeping

I kept my engine on tick over until I was round the corner then happily cleared the build up of carbon out the exhaust with a flick of my wrist.

Then I had a nosey into the bays at Ardencaple. It was in the late 60’s when I attended a two week scout jamboree at this very place. I was introduced to the sea scouts from Lochgoilhead ..who then trained me for my oarsman badge.... which was my first seamanship qualification. I was around 12 years of age. This was my first time back since those days.. as Ardencaple is a private estate. It sure brought back a boatfull of happy memories.

Then I headed round the coast a little and decided it was now lunch time. I stopped on a drift under some impressive cliffs and was delighted to find the mackerel also though it was lunch time. I soon had a bucket full of fish for future dinners.

To be continued.......
Old 20 January 2015, 17:22   #15

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
ahh, Lochgoilhead Scout camp, I went there in the early '70s for a week, sailing, rowing, kayaking etc, brilliant place, been back for a look a couple of times since, great memories great photos as usual Gurnard
Old 20 January 2015, 18:14   #16

Hi Chris..here are some more photo memories..just for you.
I still go to Lochgoilhead on a regular basis.. it has not changed much either

Back in the late sixties ... early seventies there was a large trimaran called the Victress of Rahoy in Lochgoil..and the owner used to teach the sea scouts sailing on her. I was asked recently by someone writing an article and researching about this boat..and he wondered if I had any photos of her. I couldn’t help with photos.. do you or anyone else here recall this boat ?I would love to pass the guy any info I can find on the boat. This photo was one of his

Enjoy the memories
Old 20 January 2015, 20:32   #17

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
great pics

I don't remember the boat but I'll see if I can find any photos from the trip

been a few years since we were last there, but be good to get there by water sometime
Old 20 January 2015, 20:35   #18

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Best part of the world for me loving the pictures and story 👍
Old 21 January 2015, 08:14   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
feochan

hi gurnard

another good read thanks again.
i know the area well having been diving/cruising up there since 1984 never get tiered of it we come out of lock feochan most years from Andorran marine log cabins, good slip cheap enough for the week on their pontoon or just launch every day,its a bit tight getting out & in due to a narrow channel & tight turns but ardoran have a small map to guide you,[exciting at low water] we have done the route under the bridge loads of times in the rib it is a fantastic place especially when you take your time plodding through on the flood tide with the current.kelp can be a pain but never had any real dramas through.
anyway enough from me keep um coming they bring back memories for so many people who have sailed the areas and a mine of info for those who will want to follow in your wake.

best regards jeff
Old 21 January 2015, 08:23   #20

Thanks for the comments guys.. they are appreciated.. and Im very happy my posts bring back memories to many of you. Hopefully they will encourage others to explore the areas I visit too. Feel free to add any info to supplement my adventures

After filling my stomach with lunch and the bucket with mackerel ..I headed south again and it wasn’t long before I was easing my way down the Sound of Easdale.

On one side of the sound ... on the Island of Seal.. is the picturesque village of Easdale with its little harbour and wooden pier.

On the other side of the sound ...on the Island of Easdale ... is more of the picturesque village..with its little harbour. . so to go from one end of the village ..to the other end.. you need a boat.

I had a boat but just enjoyed the views from the sea and didn’t land on either Easdale’s

These are part of what is locally known as “The Slate Islands”. Slate quarrying was once the main form of employment in the area and there are many very deep quarries now flooded with water. Often the slate has small cubes of iron pyrites embedded in it.. which is commonly know as “fools gold”.. so if you find some .. beware .. not all that glitters is gold.

It is quite tidal around Easdale..and I stopped engine and let the SIB drift in the currents...

while I waited for the West Highland Regatta boats to pass of their way round the Garvellach islands.

I cursed a little that I didn’t bring enough fuel to follow them round the islands. The wind had picked up a little and the yachts were now moving at a steady pace.

I confess ..I was a little envious of their free wind power and the joys of capturing it in sails. I recalled many happy days touring the west in my father’s sailing boats. Alas.. my father and his boats are nowa long distant memory... but I always remember him when I follow in his footsteps on the sea.

When the yachts were passed.. I headed north again through the Sound of Insh. The Island of Inch is uninhabited..but its owner sometimes lives in a cave to the north of the island. I guess he likes his solitude at times too.

It was time to leave Easdale and head back to Kerrera and have a nosey around Oban bay.

To be continued ....