Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIB gallery
Click Here to Login

Old 31 July 2010, 08:55   #41

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Had a run out last night with Gary and James in the Cozzy Nutter. What a boat! Complete with glassed over bullet holes where it had been once raked with machine gun fire off of the coast of Morocco.

Gary has spent loads of time and a fair bit of dosh building the beast.

I had a drive in her which took me back a few years, foot throttles and cavitating cleavers.
When she clears her throat and the turbo boosts up, everything goes mad! The noise is incredible, the exhaust manifold was getting near to white hot at 925 degrees C The best we saw was 47knts in a flatish sea, Gary reckons there's another 1000rpm to be had and the prop could use another inch or maybe 2 of pitch, he's aiming for 60knts. Very impressed with the hull, stable and well planted. But then, it's an Osprey cousin.

Cheers Lads.
Old 31 July 2010, 10:52   #42

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
you'll be leaving me in your wake.
Not exactly an exclusive club though is it
Old 31 July 2010, 11:22   #43

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Keep an eye out next season in the Falmouth area for a grey Vmax with twin 300 etecs
Old 31 July 2010, 11:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Keep an eye out next season in the Falmouth area for a grey Vmax with twin 300 etecs
I'm referring to his last boat with the 150, he's upgraded by a measly 100hp
I won't be going to Falmouth again,
Ever!
Old 31 July 2010, 11:29   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Do you still have a boat?
Old 31 July 2010, 12:56   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Do you still have a boat?
well there's something with a pointy end outside the window so I might have. Sadly she's on my winter (your summer) mooring.
Sounds like you had a blast on the Vector
Old 21 September 2010, 10:12   #47

Town: north boarhunt
Boat name: na
Make: na
Engine: na
Message for Sebbo re-Vector24

Sebbo, imagine my surprise, I am on a mission to find Peter Kidd(yes of Vector fame) and I read your item where you tell of your Vector24, built for ME!!! as you suspected. And there are also photo's. It is actually the only Vector with the stern well, Peter built it specially for me!
The RIB actually spent all it's life here in Portsmouth as I sold it to a local Buisness man, and a few years ago it was moved on as part payment for work to a local builder. He was actually (by coincidence) doing some work for me so I partly renovated it as part payment for his work!
The original Mariner 200hp was still in brilliant working condition and I am surprised you changed it.
I have been way from ribbing for some years now but have real fond memories particularly of early Rib racing when it was not based on the wealthy always winning.
It would be nice to chat to you and if anyone kows of Peter Kidd's whereabouts I would be pleased to hear from them. I last saw him in Malaysia building Patrol Boats for the Malaysian Navy
Regards Dave
Old 21 September 2010, 10:53   #48

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad Dave View Post
Sebbo, imagine my surprise, I am on a mission to find Peter Kidd(yes of Vector fame) and I read your item where you tell of your Vector24, built for ME!!! as you suspected. And there are also photo's. It is actually the only Vector with the stern well, Peter built it specially for me!
The RIB actually spent all it's life here in Portsmouth as I sold it to a local Buisness man, and a few years ago it was moved on as part payment for work to a local builder. He was actually (by coincidence) doing some work for me so I partly renovated it as part payment for his work!
The original Mariner 200hp was still in brilliant working condition and I am surprised you changed it.
I have been way from ribbing for some years now but have real fond memories particularly of early Rib racing when it was not based on the wealthy always winning.
It would be nice to chat to you and if anyone kows of Peter Kidd's whereabouts I would be pleased to hear from them. I last saw him in Malaysia building Patrol Boats for the Malaysian Navy
Regards Dave
He's still in Malaysia and comes back to Salcombe occasionally although I haven't seen him for a while.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2011, 10:53   #49

Town: penryn
Boat name: purple haze
Make: vector
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard cosworth 300
refresh

Started to pull the motor from the rib last week, the couple of overheats the engine sufferd last year during testing took there toll on the engine compresion and made it a bit laggy on boosting up, then lots of engine breathing and oil leaks on boost .I have started building up the replacement engine which is the later and stronger 4x4 block and will fit it with low comp pistons to allow more boost.
Looking at extending the sump and pickup to increase capacity and fit a stainless coil in it to allow the raw water to cool the oil better and changing the water injection setup to port injection with 50/50 methanol so i can add some more ignition advance, may also look at ceramic coating the pistons and combustion chambers if falls within budget. On the intake side of things there is now a secondary massive charge cooler to mount on top of the engine plus some mods to the inlet manifold to give more plenum volume to carry out .
During the last few testing sessions i fitted a innovate air fuel meter and data logging display unit this shows the rpm/afm/inj duration/and temp,s ,with variable resister fitted in line on the engine coolant temp cercuit I was able to alter the engine fuel mix to trim the fuelling against the rpm and exh temp to max out everything .

The quest for more power continues Gary
Old 21 January 2011, 16:23   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth mirage View Post
The quest for more power continues Gary
Can I have a seat please the next time I get in that loony missile?
Old 21 January 2011, 16:50   #51

Town: penryn
Boat name: purple haze
Make: vector
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard cosworth 300
seat

if i can get it any faster i think you may need one