Old 13 October 2006, 18:37   #1

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Baby Pictures...

I'm new to this forum, but I thought I would share this picture of my Hurricane 590. This is taken at Cove Island on Lake Huron, in the Great Lakes. The area is now National Park, so none of these islands will ever be developed. The area has a number of 19th century shipwrecks and is a popular freshwater diving area...

The lighthouse in the background is one of several "Empire" lights, built in the 1880s. This was the first operational one, and the last to become automated in 1991. The last keeper still lives in Tobermory and if you ask him nicely, he'll lend his key, so you can take in the view from the top of the light!

There are a few Ribs in Tobermory.. the Coasties use a 733, and a tour company uses a 630 I/O and a 930 1/O. There is one other 590, but it sits idly at it's dock and is rarely used. The operator of that boat fell overboard two years ago while moving along at half throttle. The boat disappeared over the horizon with a full tank of gas. Rumours persisted about it being flattened by a freighter or stolen, but it was eventually located run up on shore on an island 50 miles away, the following spring. It was undamaged and the theory is that it ran out of fuel, eventually froze into the ice and was gently deposited on the island. At any rate, a fresh battery, and some fresh fuel and the folks drove it home unscathed! The moral is that one really should use that little kill-chord!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane 590 small.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	22613  
Old 14 October 2006, 13:05   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Nice looking rig Stoo! Outside of the B.C. coast, RIBs are still a fairly rare sight in Canada.
Old 14 October 2006, 21:26   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Like the story.

If that happened in the Uk. The RIB would have been stripped of every non nailed down thing, tubes slashed and hull spray painted.
Thats before a youf smoked the fuel and a singel mother turned the hull in to a pram to take back to her free house.
Old 14 October 2006, 21:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Like the story.

If that happened in the Uk. The RIB would have been stripped of every non nailed down thing, tubes slashed and hull spray painted.
Thats before a youf smoked the fuel and a singel mother turned the hull in to a pram to take back to her free house.
Man that's harsh! I thought you Brits were all so civilized!

The truth is, the missing 590 was found on Lonely Island... which is aptly named. It's right in the middle of Georgina Bay and has very few visitors! The cool thing is that the guy who "lost" it had claimed the loss on his insurance. When the boat was found, the CG tracked him down, and after he contacted the insurer, they basically told him that they didn't want it, so he bought it back for next to nothing. He had already replaced it with an Avon....! (He did have to go and retrieve it, mind you...)
Old 14 October 2006, 21:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Outside of the B.C. coast, RIBs are still a fairly rare sight in Canada.
I don't imagine that they are too common in Winter-peg anyway! Thanks for sending this lovely weather our way incidently! I am beached today with a gale blowing outside with lovely snowsqualls! RIB or no RIB, I'm spending the day by the fire, sipping hot rum and apple cider!
Old 15 October 2006, 14:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I don't imagine that they are too common in Winter-peg anyway!
There's a small handful of Hurricanes in the 6m range, between the Coast Guard (Lake Winnipeg), RCMP, and the Winnipeg Fire Department, but private RIBs and even SIBS are not common around here.
Old 15 October 2006, 14:07   #7

...and oh yeah, keep the pics coming!
Old 15 October 2006, 15:17   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I don't imagine that they are too common in Winter-peg anyway! Thanks for sending this lovely weather our way incidently! I am beached today with a gale blowing outside with lovely snowsqualls! RIB or no RIB, I'm spending the day by the fire, sipping hot rum and apple cider!
It's been a balmy 19C here in the Far East for the last day!

Never seen a pleasure rib here in NL. There are a few operated by tour/whale watching operators and the coastguard have Zodiac 733's with twin 150's for SAR. Had a ride in one this summer as a casualty which is a bit of an extreme way to get a ride in a RIB!
Old 16 October 2006, 00:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's been a balmy 19C here in the Far East for the last day!

Never seen a pleasure rib here in NL. There are a few operated by tour/whale watching operators and the coastguard have Zodiac 733's with twin 150's for SAR. Had a ride in one this summer as a casualty which is a bit of an extreme way to get a ride in a RIB!
I read of your trip courtesy of the CG. I'm glad you are OK! What part of The Rock are you calling home? I was doing some archeological diving at Red Bay, Labrador four years ago and then spent two weeks on the west coast around Gros Morne. The only boat I was out in there was a sea kayak!

Speaking of the Coast Guard, if I had $1 everytime I get flagged down by some stranded/sinking/lost boater, I'd be... well, less broke than I am. I'm think of getting the tubes painted.... "NOT Coast Guard"!
Old 16 October 2006, 11:57   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Maybe you should start up a recovery business!!!
Old 16 October 2006, 15:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Maybe you should start up a recovery business!!!
I've considered that... except I'd need to stay in one place then. So far, my total compensation consists of one luke warm beer from a Yank in the St. Lawrence River. He was caught in a blow with about 3' - 4' waves (remember, this is a river... very short period, not big rollers), strong wind, big currrent and torrential downpour, in a 14' aluminum boat. He ran out of fuel on his way to "the club" with his much younger wife and their kid. All three were soaked, frozen and the boat was taking on water quickly. We pulled the three of them into my boat, wrapped them in space blankets and I gave the kid my Floater jacket. We towed them about 5 miles, back to their cottage, which was easily worth $750K... All this for a beer! (I was glad to have been of assistance mind you... )
Old 16 October 2006, 18:41   #12

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Welcome

Hi Stoo
Welcome to the forum - nice baby.
Found an old photo of my 1st from a jaunt to our own Tobermory from Xmas 2001. ...... go back whenever I can
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hpema nepa mull small.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	22659