Old 10 November 2005, 15:49   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Another birth - Excalibur 8.5 wrap

Had a great couple of weekends trying to break....eer sea trial the new Excalibur 8.5m wrap around (www.gaelforceventures.com ). Volvo 350 in the back, bunks and sea toilet up the front, 45+ knots with the wrong prop on - should be pushing 50 with the new prop. Drives like a dream, plenty power and I want one!! Heres a couple of pics we took over the last couple of weekends

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hol Dock.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	15632   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOL Water.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hol Water 003.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	15634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keamore 003.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	15635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keamore 005.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	15636  

Old 10 November 2005, 16:00   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Wow - nice boat - and still a proper RIB - nice to see the tubes actually touch the water!!!
Old 10 November 2005, 17:58   #3
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have to say I'm very very impressed with this manufacturer.

Attention to detail, good looks, decent prices.....I want one!!!

C
Old 10 November 2005, 18:48   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
What the "F" is that?!! Sorry guys, that thing looks bloody awful!! In my opinion.
Old 10 November 2005, 19:41   #5

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
What the "F" is that?!! Sorry guys, that thing looks bloody awful!! In my opinion.
i am afraid that at first glance i have to agree that it is not the nicest looking boat i have seen, in fact it does look ugly, looks like about 3 boats fused together by some sort of dr who machine. Not my cup of t but might look better in the flesh....or maybe not.......in my opinion as well!!!!
Old 10 November 2005, 21:13   #6

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Hey Jon,

Heard about this one a while back, from the guy who owns Whispering Pines (can't remember his name, but he's got one on of these on order too and he's selling his 8.0m) From what I heard this is gonna be one seriously good offshore RIB, as if the other Excaliburs weren't capable enough already!

Quote:
Thats really not what these boats are all about though is it, I mean what help is looking good when you're battling a force 8, 30 miles offshore in the middle of the night. Nobody's gonna see ya out there now are they??

Anyways I think it looks alright in the photos but will look a hundred times better in the Hyp!! Hopefully I'll see her this weekend maybe, I should be out and about on Saturday for a blast. Jon, was that photo taken on the Owenabue river? Its a stones throw from me, but gets very shallow I should really pop in to the new factory to have an ol' look around, but I'm afraid it'll end up being a very expensive trip.

Anyways, well done Joe and James, looks like Redbay are gonna have to start catching up now!!
Old 10 November 2005, 22:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Hey Jon,

Heard about this one a while back, from the guy who owns Whispering Pines (can't remember his name, but he's got one on of these on order too and he's selling his 8.0m) From what I heard this is gonna be one seriously good offshore RIB, as if the other Excaliburs weren't capable enough already!

Thats really not what these boats are all about though is it, I mean what help is looking good when you're battling a force 8, 30 miles offshore in the middle of the night. Nobody's gonna see ya out there now are they??

Anyways I think it looks alright in the photos but will look a hundred times better in the Hyp!! Hopefully I'll see her this weekend maybe, I should be out and about on Saturday for a blast. Jon, was that photo taken on the Owenabue river? Its a stones throw from me, but gets very shallow I should really pop in to the new factory to have an ol' look around, but I'm afraid it'll end up being a very expensive trip.

Anyways, well done Joe and James, looks like Redbay are gonna have to start catching up now!!

All the testing was done in Kinsale. One a day that had big breaking waves at the entrance. Not once did she take water over her bow even when we tried to stuff it. you are right in saying this is a serious offshore boat with a 45 gall fuel capacity. The guy who's bought her has small kids and the high sides provide safety and the detachable hood keeps the kids and the wife dry and more importantly "boat friendly"

Jon
Old 10 November 2005, 22:48   #8

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i must admit it seems a bit ugly but you are right in that it will give lots of protection for the family and keep em warm and safe which is a serious consideration

mind you i expect they are not cheap

is 45 gal capacity enough fuel for the big girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib
All the testing was done in Kinsale. One a day that had big breaking waves at the entrance. Not once did she take water over her bow even when we tried to stuff it. you are right in saying this is a serious offshore boat with a 45 gall fuel capacity. The guy who's bought her has small kids and the high sides provide safety and the detachable hood keeps the kids and the wife dry and more importantly "boat friendly"

Jon
Old 11 November 2005, 01:12   #9

Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
It certainly wins the ugly prize and 45 galls seems minascule if it really is an offshore boat

Jonathan
Old 11 November 2005, 08:18   #10

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Ive got 40 gallons in my 5.85 for a suzuki 140 !!!

surely you need at least 100 gallons in an "off shore" Rib
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 10:18   #11

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Ive got 40 gallons in my 5.85 for a suzuki 140 !!!

surely you need at least 100 gallons in an "off shore" Rib
I agree with Roycruse I have 300 LTRs just under 67 Galls in my own boat when I take her cruising round oban it does not go far so what use is 45 Galls for a seriously good offshore rib and what are them bandaid plasters holding the tubes to the hull all about went to look at a Redbay rib before I bought my own boat 7.8 mtr with a 225 opti on the back that held 100 Galls I think the Redbay boys have the right idea
Old 11 November 2005, 12:52   #12

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Its very similar to the Redbay 11m, but IMHO lacks the length to put it proportion. I have had a good look at Joes boat's and they are with out a doubt very well built, but 45 Gallons is not nearly enough fuel.....is this the correct figure?

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ribnet 2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	15648  
Old 11 November 2005, 13:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
Its very similar to the Redbay 11m, but IMHO lacks the length to put it proportion. I have had a good look at Joes boat's and they are with out a doubt very well built, but 45 Gallons is not nearly enough fuel.....is this the correct figure?

Andy
Hands up! I contacted Joe who makes the boat and he tells me this model has a 90 Gallon tank , but is also available with a 100 gl tank if the sea toilet is not fitted.

Just for your info Joe designed most of the redbay range and also the 11m in the redbay picture above.

Jon
Old 11 November 2005, 13:37   #14

I somehow doubt this is the correct fuel tank figure as well TBH!! The 7.5m petrol version has a bigger tank than that AFAIK. I'll try to find out. The "band aid plasters" would be none slip patches for accessing the bow.

Anyway for those who don't know the naval architect Joe McCollam who designs and builds these Excaliburs, has also designed a lot of the Redbays in his time with them, before he set up Excalibur. That gives you an idea of what kind of league this boat is in. 45kts is very quick for a 9m diesel combo BTW. As you say she is propped wrong too. On a very deep-V hull with no steps, V. Impressed!!

edit: Got there B4 me Jon!!
Old 11 November 2005, 13:51   #15

Length: no boat
The "band aid plasters" would be none slip patches for accessing the bow.

I know what they are but dont you think they would have looked better in one continuous strip
Old 11 November 2005, 14:19   #16

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Rib
Hands up! I contacted Joe who makes the boat and he tells me this model has a 90 Gallon tank , but is also available with a 100 gl tank if the sea toilet is not fitted.

Just for your info Joe designed most of the redbay range and also the 11m in the redbay picture above.

Jon
That's a bit more like it . I know Joe designed the "Hard Nose" concept but I didnt think he was involved in the new designs that differ quite significantly from the earlier models built, either way the canopy is definately the way forward for all weather crusing.
Andy
Old 11 November 2005, 14:43   #17

Town: Innishannon Co. Cork
Boat name: Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 Volvo
what a boat

Theres a very good old saying (Dont knock it until you try it )
I was out in my own Rib in Kinsale 2 weeks ago and met the lads doing sea trials on the new 8.5 wrap Rib and asked for a go myself, All I can say is what a boat,I was really impressed with the way it handled in the rough and boy was it rough.The Volvo 350 is a lovely engine with no turbo lag and at 46 knots with 310 props, Some performance.I couldn't believe how dry the boat was inside with no canopy on.
The fuel Tank is 90 gallons not 45 as was said on a previous post.
I was so impressed with the Rib I put a deposit on for one myself.
Congrats to the lads at Excalibur for a job well done.
Old 11 November 2005, 22:31   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Guys, the Blue Riband boats which tear across the Atlantic are hugely seaworthy and have massive range, but they don't look like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Old 12 November 2005, 00:03   #19
HOL

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Keamore
Make: Excalibur
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Excalibur 8.7

Quote:
That is my rib and we think it looks fantastic and from what I can see we are not the only ones, the comments from people who have seen this Excalibur 8.7 in the flesh are very positive, it has only been in the water a couple of weeks and from what I understand Joe has 6 more on order, not bad for November, an endorsement with ones hard earned cash is one to be taken seriously.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Excalibur 8.7.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	15653  
Old 12 November 2005, 03:56   #20

Well said!! look forward to seeing you out on the water. Can't wait to see Keamore in the flesh. Have heard a lot of positive comments about this new model in the last few weeks and I'm certain she'll live up to the hype.

Welcome to the site anyway. It's a great resource for all things ribbing. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who can offer great advice, and with that there are also a few who talk a load of crap I'm sure you'll be able to tell who's who

Go n-éirí leat!!