Old 12 November 2005, 07:50   #21

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Well said swginn.

HOL, congrats on the new boat. Certainly like the fact that some RIB designs are taking whole-family comforts to heart!

And the seas off Corcaigh will prove as true a test as any.

So please give more feedback on the performance. And any trips you Southerners are undertaking.

Go n'éirí an t-ádh leat

K & P
Old 12 November 2005, 07:56   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Seriously, it is a heck of a bit of kit. I'm sure in looks great in the flesh. You'll sell loads.

Bang Chitty
Old 12 November 2005, 09:36   #23

Town: Innishannon Co. Cork
Boat name: Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 Volvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Guys, the Blue Riband boats which tear across the Atlantic are hugely seaworthy and have massive range, but they don't look like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Have you gone down to see your little Osprey lately! There not exactly What you would call a MONA LISA! are they.
Alot of the negative comments seem to be coming from boys with little Ribs.It's not sour grapes lads is it.
I think Henry's boat is beautiful and that's why I'm getting one.
And I would like to wish Henry and his family the very best of luck with their new purchase and safe Ribbing.
Old 12 November 2005, 10:14   #24

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Twomey
Have you gone down to see your little Osprey lately! There not exactly What you would call a MONA LISA! are they.
Alot of the negative comments seem to be coming from boys with little Ribs.It's not sour grapes lads is it.
I think Henry's boat is beautiful and that's why I'm getting one.
And I would like to wish Henry and his family the very best of luck with their new purchase and safe Ribbing.
Now this is a thing of beauty and not so small either I dont think its a size thing we all love are ribs but not everyone is going to like mine which is why I suspect there are so many ribs out there in every conceivable permutation if i post my own rib on here I open myself up for comment and have to take the good,the bad and the indifferent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1565.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	15656  
Old 12 November 2005, 10:18   #25

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...And I would like to wish Henry and his family the very best of luck with their new purchase and safe Ribbing.
Yeh, me too.

Cool boat. Bu**er what folk think about it's appearance. It's a tool to do a job and I'm sure it'll become your friend.
Old 12 November 2005, 12:34   #26

Hear, hear.

Any shots of the interior?

Us
Old 12 November 2005, 19:56   #27
HOL

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Keamore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
bandaid plasters

[QUOTE=Milan] Now this is a thing of beauty and not so small either I dont think its a size thing we all love are ribs but not everyone is going to like mine which is why I suspect there are so many ribs out there in every conceivable permutation if i post my own rib on here I open myself up for comment and have to take the good,the bad and the indifferent [/QUO

A picture paints a thousand words
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excalibur comparison.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	15671  
Old 12 November 2005, 20:24   #28

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
A lovely looking boat.

I want one but can't afford it.

Hey ho.

I will content myself with admiring the unattainable. Arf
Old 12 November 2005, 20:50   #29

[QUOTE=Ronan Twomey] Have you gone down to see your little Osprey lately! There not exactly What you would call a MONA LISA! are they.
Are you nuts?! Since when was the Mona Lisa ever described as a thing of beauty? A Vipermax is the Kate Moss of the Rib world. Small, neat, bad girl but bloody lovely. Your Excaliber Wrap is more of a Pat Butcher!
Old 13 November 2005, 13:00   #30

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Tsunami/Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur Ribs
Engine: 350hp Volvo Diesel
Opinions!!!

Was told by a few of the lads that there was a bit of a discussion going on with reference to the new wraparound version! So thought I better come for a look.

I suppose this is why Rib.net is such a good website for the Rib owner, rarely is a subject posted without it generating a wide variety of responses from every angle whether they are positive or negative. This gives people the oportunity to take from it what they feel is relevant!

However from a Rib Builders point of view you have to be willing to take the bad comments with the good! Not every boat will appeal to everyone, however it is a matter of appealing to your target customer base. If everyone liked the same thing it would do little to further the rib industry and would offer little to discuss on forums like this!

I feel with this boat we have offered a much more family based product that has all the performance benefits of the other ribs in our range. It will offer much more comfort for long distance cruising and short hops alike! The interest this boat has generated has been great. Now just got to go bigger!

On another note I would imagine that most people in their chosen profession rarely have their work or products so readily put forward onto the public stage for debate from every angle as that of a rib manufacturer! If they did I wonder how many could take criticism well?

I would like to wish Henry and his family many hours of happy ribbing and look I look forward to many good trips in the coming year.

Safe boating to everyone.

www.ribs.ie
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 19:49   #31

Well said that man!

Us
Old 13 November 2005, 22:43   #32

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
for me the bit i am not sure about on the boat is the brown windscreen and the ugly canvas top with clear windows, if something different was dong there to follow some of the angles already set up on the boat i think it would look better, also the brown perspex in that shape looks like a dated boat style windscreen. if those bits were different i think it would look better..........just some honest feedback, but the more i look at it the more it grows on me...except the windscreen

hope you have lots of success with it
Old 14 November 2005, 08:12   #33

Length: no boat
[QUOTE=HOL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Now this is a thing of beauty and not so small either I dont think its a size thing we all love are ribs but not everyone is going to like mine which is why I suspect there are so many ribs out there in every conceivable permutation if i post my own rib on here I open myself up for comment and have to take the good,the bad and the indifferent [/QUO

A picture paints a thousand words
As I said we all love our ribs
Old 14 November 2005, 10:21   #34

Town: Innishannon Co. Cork
Boat name: Saol Eile
Engine: 350 Volvo
[QUOTE=Mollulnan]
Quote:
Are you nuts?! Since when was the Mona Lisa ever described as a thing of beauty? A Vipermax is the Kate Moss of the Rib world. Small, neat, bad girl but bloody lovely. Your Excaliber Wrap is more of a Pat Butcher!
yes your right it dose look like Kate Moss, Week looking and looks like it has something snorted up it's nose.
Old 14 November 2005, 10:26   #35

[QUOTE=Ronan Twomey]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
yes your right it dose look like Kate Moss, Week looking and looks like it has something snorted up it's nose.
Get real! The Vipermax is one of the best looking Ribs out there, unless you're Frank Butcher!!
Old 14 November 2005, 10:28   #36

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
[QUOTE=Mollulnan]
Quote:
Get real! The Vipermax is one of the best looking Ribs out there, unless you're Frank Butcher!!
What ? - you mean unless you're DEAD

Or is he hiding in a foreign country waiting to be writen back into the the square - i can never remember !
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 10:37   #37

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
for me the bit i am not sure about on the boat is the brown windscreen and the ugly canvas top with clear windows, if something different was dong there to follow some of the angles already set up on the boat i think it would look better, also the brown perspex in that shape looks like a dated boat style windscreen. if those bits were different i think it would look better..........just some honest feedback, but the more i look at it the more it grows on me...except the windscreen hope you have lots of success with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Yeh, me too. Cool boat. Bu**er what folk think about it's appearance. It's a tool to do a job and I'm sure it'll become your friend.
Its not that disimilar to the rap around windscreen of the larger Redbays. Having sat behind one on a wet and windy trip in Oban I can confirm that they are superb bit of kit and sod the aesthetics.

Isn't this the difference between Ribnet who use boats as a form of transport and Boatmad who like to polish, admire and talk about it rather than do it
Old 14 November 2005, 10:52   #38

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Henry/ Joe, any interior & engine bay shots??

Joe,
Whats the Volvo like compared to the Yammys? Any thoughts about using the new Yam 24 Valve ME432 (315hp) in an Excalibur? Could make for a very quick RIB in one of the 8meters.
Old 14 November 2005, 10:52   #39

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Isn't this the difference between Ribnet who use boats as a form of transport and Boatmad who like to polish, admire and talk about it rather than do it
You are right - I expect from a purely functional perspective the wrap around screen would be great - but i think you ought to rephrase your comment slightly to the difference between people who use their boats for transport and the people who use them for pleasure.

I think that Irish barge thing is ugly as sin - but if you are disputing the fact that I USE my rib then i suggest you check out my recent posts - ive been out in her 5 days out of the last 6 (3 weekends) and not polished her once.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2005, 11:18   #40

He's returning Roy!