Old 14 August 2018, 06:37   #61

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Donny I think you should do the talking and not that stupid voice it nearly ruined the video [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
+1 ........maybe just try one shorty ?
Old 14 August 2018, 07:42   #62

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
Donny, I've enjoyed all the vids, and believe your wry words in subtitle add considerably to the charm... Brian is a dick. Don't renew the subscription!
Old 14 August 2018, 08:10   #63

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Donny the only word I can offer after watching your video's is EXCELLENT. [emoji572]

p.s. the same goes for your hiking movie's too . 🧗*♂️[emoji902]

See you up at Arisaig a week on Saturday where I'm sure that we will enjoy a few drams 🥃🥃
Old 14 August 2018, 10:03   #64

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks for the feedback guys and I agree with everyone ..I have sent Brain back to his butler duties and nothing he can say now .. will make me change my mind.

I am reasonably happy with the sub title format. Those who used to read my photo and written text adventures on the forum will know the videos follow the same style as they proved quite popular.

I do like the idea of a talking video although not so sure about my droll. As such ... I will do a short video with a voice over for the last leg on the Jura saga and post it up when its complete. Again if you can give me feedback then it helps me know how to go forward .

Thanks again for your thoughts guys its appreciated

Hey Kerny..cool.. I will book in for the Sat and Sunday ..and we can have a few drams at night ..I can get quite vocal then..so perhaps that is the secret for the videos ..a slurp of Jura..say a sentence ..another slurp ..spray another sentence ..and before I know it..the video will be done.
Old 14 August 2018, 10:28   #65

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
donny as i said on youtube not a fan of Brian, but i do like the subtitles format but would be intrigued to hear your commentary with a few of your favorite tipples running through your veins remember fife robertsongreat stuff mate looking forward to skye.

cheers.
Old 14 August 2018, 11:38   #66

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Epic movies Donny, you've a real art for it - as an aside, I'm delighted to hear that Brian is now on vacation.
Old 14 August 2018, 12:09   #67
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Bill View Post
Donny, I've enjoyed all the vids, and believe your wry words in subtitle add considerably to the charm... Brian is a dick. Don't renew the subscription!
Yeah, I agree, Brian is a dick!

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:30   #68

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Donny if you are still a little unsure about doing your own narrative perhaps this guy is free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uMdAcYVXR1U
Old 14 August 2018, 14:46   #69

Lol ..that's what worries me Fenlander..there are enough jock fools on the internet. Even the late Tom Weir and his TV tourie sounded rough to my lugs

However …

I have put my money where my mouth is ..and have made the last leg into a self talking video. I sound a bit wooden to begin with but started to loosen up after a couple of sips of Jura.

I had to use the camcorder mic which has a lot of reverb ..which is possibly why I sound like I'm blethering into an empty whisky bottle. If doing it regular..I would look at ways of getting better acoustics.

Going forward .. Its up to you guys now.. a vote for peace and quiet with subtitles .. or a babbling slurring buffoon with few written words ..it makes little difference to me.. but would appreciate your thoughts now I have bitten the bullet.

Here is a map of the route that I took.. it covers most of the islands to the south of Oban. It is a fantastic journey for an inflatable and well worth doing. However I feel I should add that the weather for this trip was perfect.

The many tide races that are in the area are normally rough water ..and some like the Grey Dogs .. Corry vrechan ... Doris Mor .. Sound of Islay etc are not recommended for small boats in winds or heavy swells. Timing can be crucial to get the flat waters through these races even in calm conditions.

Hope you enjoyed following the videos..I enjoyed making them

Best Regards
The talking Gurnard
Old 14 August 2018, 15:34   #70

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i'll say this mate for me perfect great balance of subtitles, music and the man himself no going back now brilliant. but running out of the golden juice tut tut
Old 14 August 2018, 15:34   #71

Brilliant first crack Donny ! You do sound just a little apprehensive but I reckon that's a great mix of background music , sub titles and narrative . I think your on the right lines
Old 14 August 2018, 15:41   #72

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
[emoji108]
Old 14 August 2018, 17:31   #73
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Yes, I'd go along with that.
You sound like a true Scottish gent. No need for you to be "modest" about your voice (you should hear mine-I sound like a right yobbo on any recording media).
As Bern says, you have an excellent mix of titles, music and voice.
Keep 'em coming!

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 18:54   #74
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Well Mrs P has just reviewed them! Brian was better than expected but the real thing is definitely an improvement. You did relax into it a little - and I guess the choice of words/phrases typed and spoken are probably slightly different so you’ll improve further with experience. As for the voice - we think it works really well - certainly to our ear it is very understandable. Excellent!
Old 14 August 2018, 19:19   #75

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Actually that worked better than expected! I will be further testing on the gathered family over a fish supper I’m a moment.
Old 16 August 2018, 11:24   #76

Thanks again for your encouragement guys. The last video was quickly thrown together just to see what you all thought ... having myself doing a voice over. Taking your advice..I have spent a bit more time putting the audio track together for this video..”Going Doon The Watter”.

Its not perfect as Im having to used the camcorder mic which seems to muffle me a bit..or perhaps thats just the way I sound to others.

Anyhoo..thanks again for the feedback..I quite like the format of talking parts as it lets me break up the song into samples..then let it run the duration as I catch my breath. The three minute song now lasts 7 minutes so it means I can reduce the amount of box sets I make per adventure. Im thinking this type of format will be the way forward..for a wee while anyhoo.

Apologies for sounding a bit like McGonnagall ..perhaps I will be challenging him for being the best known worst Scottish poet soon .. my masterpiece will be boating under the Tay Bridge.

Best Regards
The Gurnard
Old 16 August 2018, 11:55   #77

“Critics! Appalled I ventured on the name.
Those cutthroat bandits in the paths of fame.”
― Robert Burns

Great Stuff Donny ! Keep 'em coming
Old 03 September 2018, 13:16   #78

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
@the gurnard - great vid's as usual and I think your personal narration adds some real value and context so a big from me and the Mrs.

Particularly liked "Doon the Water" as we are coming up and staying around Gairletter Point in 4 weeks time for a holiday - largely inspired it has to be said from your vid's - so it was great to see a view from the water.

Depending what the weather looks like I am sorely tempted to squeeze the Frib in the boot on the way up even if we only get too drop it in a few times for a couple of hours!

Was looking at some of the inland Lochs close by like Loch Ech and Loch Awe and wondered if they would be fun if we only had a few hours rather than a full day expedition?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 05 September 2018, 12:33   #79
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm289 View Post
Was looking at some of the inland Lochs close by like Loch Ech and Loch Awe and wondered if they would be fun if we only had a few hours rather than a full day expedition?
Loch Awe is a good way to while away a few hours. Beware though - whilst its fresh water, its not necessarily much safer that the sea. 1. its long and prevailing wind travels the length of the loch; 2. it has no rescue boat - so if you do get in trouble you are on your own (well until the fire brigade bring a boat from Glasgow!); 3. i've noticed (and it may now be confirmation bias) that seems to be where folk from the central belt who like to mix tennants with fishing seem to be accumulating - often with a wee boat and not much experience. It will take you at least an hour to drive there - I'm struggling to imagine conditions where that effort would be better than L. Long or L. Goil; and even in horrible weather driving to the Kyles of Bute would probably provide more shelter.

I've no experience boating on L. Eck. Its a (drinking water) reservoir - in my experience that means as a minimum powerboats will be discouraged - possibly banned.
Old 05 September 2018, 16:30   #80

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Donnie

I am a fan of accents and feel they should never be lost. I myself am quite broadish Suffolk.

Can I say that you have the most amazing Scottish Accent I have ever heard. Adds greatly to your videos