Old 10 August 2018, 22:14   #41

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> yours is almost steady cam like...

I think Gurnard has some such device in compact form.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:08   #42

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> yours is almost steady cam like...

I think Gurnard has some such device in compact form.

I bet its as wee bottle of Red Breast and good sea legs sir.

Cheers
Old 11 August 2018, 08:22   #43

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Boat View Post
I bet its as wee bottle of Red Breast and good sea legs sir.

Cheers

No it’s the brown gravy!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:09   #44

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
£300 gimbal
Old 11 August 2018, 09:26   #45

Ahh that makes sense... worth every penny. It transforms Gurnard's videos into the realms of pro travel film making.
Old 11 August 2018, 15:37   #46

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep he can keep going with it in the rough too well worth the dosh
Old 11 August 2018, 16:38   #47

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi guys .. I have been busy with garden and house repairs this last month so not too much time for boating never mind making movies .

mI glad you all enjoyed the Jura adventure and it has been my favourite trip from this year so far .

Im hopefully heading round the Isle of Skye in a couple of weeks with Jeff and a couple of other SIBers so hoping the weather is as kind … and it equals or betters the Jura movies.

I use a gimbal with the gopro which certainly steadies thing up..I also use a camcorder as I find gopros are very limited in what they can capture. Example wildlife is just tiny dots with a Gopro. The camcorder has no gimbal so a steady hand is a necessity as well. As is a bit of imagination for a story line and the stunning scenery also play a big part in my UTube movies.

I did find time to finish another video box set..inspired by Gavin Maxwell’s trio of books .. his best known as “Ring of Bright Water”.

If you watch my version..you will find I was no fan of his books..but the filming was in the same area as Camusferna ..the place that inspired his “Classic” best seller.

This is my spoof story of the Camusferna Otters ..and I have called the Trilogy “Ring of Bright W’otter”

Hope you find it entertaining or at least it may inspire some to visit Loch Hourn, Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh..all sea lochs just a little further north than the ones in my Arisaig Adventure. It is another extremely beautiful area.. but not so well known so a lot quieter.

So.. thanks again for commenting guys. I hope to get a new box set soon.. Around the Isle of Skye. I will post it on the forum once I do the adventure. It will require good weather as I consider Skye more technically difficult than a round of Jura Mull or Arran. But as such..it is also extremely scenic.

Best Regards
The Gurnard
Old 11 August 2018, 17:43   #48

Thanks for linking part 3 Donny... we'd already tripped across parts 1&2 a while back... much enjoyed as usual.

Interesting to see your comments about the Loch Alsh overfalls. On a holiday 7yrs ago staying in a cottage above Loch Duich we came across them and with less experience of Scottish loch conditions back then were totally taken by surprise. I guess you mean to the north side of Glas Eilean? That's where we were somewhat caught out but studying the chart in more detail I guess I should have known with both narrowing past the island and shallows suddenly from 40m to under 10m something had to give.

It was similar off Kyle of Lochalsh too that day.

In a way I hesitate to link the YouTube video of us in our Fastroller 360 that year at that location... but it actually serves to demonstrate the gulf between the average sibbers video and those you are producing now.

Old 11 August 2018, 18:06   #49

Yup..the overfalls start from Glas Eilean and go right up to Eilean Tioram which is the sandbank island you are heading to in your video Fenlander

. The whole area whips up quite white when wind is against tide. I was in my wee 9ft F Rib so was very aware that they appear there as I have often watched the race from the Dornie Bridge. I stopped to fish in the wee bay directly opposite Eilean Donan Castle and the tide was flowing strongly even there.

Nice to see your video too so thanks for posting it and I hope my efforts brings back happy memories for you .. and perhaps gets you to return to Scotland for a break or two again...especially when you retire full time so have more time to choose the weather windows.

I was hoping to see the overfalls in Kyle Rea as I know they can be quite severe in a wind..more so than the Loch Alsh ones. It is in preparation for the round Skye trip in a couple of weeks incase the wind is up doing that section. I saw enough from Glenelg to see its best to keep close into the Glenelg side when I go round Skye and the standing waves form.

I have done most the other parts around Skye in the past except for Rubha Hunish point in the far north. I know it can be rough in even a good day but Im taking the Quicksilver for that trip. I have done well over half of Skye in the wee Frib and 6HP the first year I got that boat. I wont be attempting the north of Skye in F4 or above conditions as its very exposed with few landing places but looking forward to the challenge and fingers crossed for good weather. This last month was normal windy showery Scottish weather.
Old 12 August 2018, 08:22   #50

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Great stuff Donny , thoroughly enjoyable videos . Have you ever considered actually narrating on one of your gems ?

Don't feel too bad about failing your English exam .After all you are a " Jock " . ( are we still allowed to say that in this oh so PC world.....) . I was born in London and failed the same spoken exam ( blame it on having a Welsh mother , but to her disgrace I was also " released from duties " in the school choir ).

Looking forward to your adventures on Skye .
Old 12 August 2018, 08:47   #51

Hi Bern ..thanks for looking in.

I wish I could narrate on the videos and when I played in a band a few years back..wished I could have done some backing vocals.

However Im more than just a Jock .. Im a true teuchter from the far north and as such my drawl is a very slow and grating droll . Its not the sing song accent of the western isles ..where for example ... Post office rolls of the tongue as a “Pooost affisss” . My droll .. half lisp voice .. tends to say “Pist Orfice”

Therefore I prefer keeping my vocals to myself. I wondered about a computer generated voice over but think it even worse to sensitive ears than my monotone voice. So typed titles is just my way Im afraid ..even though I appreciate they can distract from the scenery.

Thanks for commenting.
Old 12 August 2018, 13:49   #52

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Hi Donny

Just watched all your new videos. As usual very well produced and a joy to watch.

Your videos inspired my to get out in a sib and these just call me to Jura and more of the west coast.

It’s so good of you to go to the effort of sharing them they are a pleasure to watch.

Ps Stick with the sub titles. They work perfectly. [emoji1303]
Old 12 August 2018, 13:58   #53
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Mrs P has become obsessed with your videos. She told me episode three of bright wotter was out before YouTube had even told me.

She also suggested you should have a voice over. I don’t recall your voice being impenetrable (although my ear is likely more tuned than our southern cousins).

I wonder if anyone else has listened to it though- none of us sound how we think and a cheuchter talking incomprehensible noise would add character! (It might also help her realise you are twenty years to old for her... not that I’m getting concerned at all).
Old 12 August 2018, 23:15   #54

Town: Crail
Boat name: Onward
Make: Honwave T32-IE
Engine: Mercury 2 st 15 hp
MMSI: 235913495
Hi Donny
Just watched the whole Jura box set back to back, loved every single minute!
I'm saving the three wottery ones to enjoy tomorrow.
Hope all is well with you and your liver. No WWA this September to share a dram at with you but I'll try to get over to Benderloch again with Mrs B, having watched some of your videos over my shoulder she says she may even risk coming out on the watter with me.
cheers
Roger
Old 13 August 2018, 09:09   #55

Many thanks for the feedback guys it is appreciated. I would be a fool not to listen as you are the audience Im playing too. Therefore I will make a trial talking video.

Sadly … I don’t have a voice like Richard Burton ..but I have a 30day free trail of Brian .. a text to voice reader for computer stuff. He sounds a little wooden but not as dulcet as myself

I spent a couple of days getting back from Craighouse so will complete the journey..and include voice overs instead of sub titles. You can hopefully give some feedback on that format when I get the video complete and posted.

You may wonder why I do it ? There are many reasons..including passing a wet day stuck in the house now that Im retired ... to hopefully inspiring others to see some of the areas for themselves

This early video that I made at the start of my movie career tells that tale. It was before I got the gimbal and camcorder.. but illustrates I still had a reasonably steady hand back then too .. ( I was off the gravy which could explain the lack of movement.)

Thanks again for the feedback and I will put the thread back on track with another Taste of Jura .. boatin’ talkin’ movie ... soon.
Old 13 August 2018, 16:38   #56

Ok folks ..I appreciate its not in the same class as “The Jazz Singer” which was the world’s first talking movie ..but its another step in “Tales of The Gurnard” as this is my first Talkie.

I confess its Brain that talks. He is a computer generated voice ..but if you think he sounds a little wooden..you ain’t heard my slur

This video is a continuation of the first Box Set Taste of Jura.. as I still had to get back to Oban from Craighouse. Here is part one of that leg. Perhaps you can give me some feedback if you think Brian is a bit better ..or worse than my normal sub titles.

Thanks for watching.. the last part will be uploaded when I get talked into finishing it :-D

Best regards
The Gurnard
Old 13 August 2018, 19:08   #57

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Donny I think you should do the talking and not that stupid voice it nearly ruined the video [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
Old 13 August 2018, 20:40   #58

Town: Kent and Suffolk UK
Boat name: AlphaFox
Make: Atlantic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 O/B Suzuki DF90ATL
MMSI: 232012141
More superb footage, Sir (particularly liked your moving still of the lone tree). I wont be as blunt as some have been, but since Brian is on probation, i wouldn't be offering him a long term contract. I would say that the narration (even if it is Brian) is better than the subtitles - as a package the whole thing is better. You just need a human to narrate.
Old 13 August 2018, 21:35   #59

For me... keep it to the written word. There are so many narrated YouTube videos where the narration distracts.
Old 13 August 2018, 22:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
For me... keep it to the written word. There are so many narrated YouTube videos where the narration distracts.
Donny I think the written subtitles work just fine!
For me the computerised voice over reminds me of a Sat Nav or that bloody Amazon Alexa thing that we have throughout the house.
The voice over interrupts Donny Munro too.
Subtitles get my vote [emoji106]