Old 21 April 2016, 06:58   #1

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
A Run In at Loch Sween

I confess.. I love my Guppy to bits ..its the best small boat in the universe. I guess we all say that about our own boats though.. it justifies to ourselves why we bought them in the first place.

The compact size and ease of portability is my number one attraction to this boat. I have found that on impulse..I can throw it in the car and head off to whichever boating area I choose. It can be launched anywhere.. with ease. It is extremely sea worth for its 2.75 meter size and gives me the confidence to use in open seas.

So far..I have been using my Mariner 3.3HP to propel her .. and have found she could plane at speeds around 12 mph with only myself on board ..but no luggage. Carry any anchors ..camping gear etc and she was stuck at 6 mph displacement speeds.I felt it was time to choose her permanent power plant.

I didn’t want to loose the easy of carrying an outboard across a shore without a hernia or sack trolley .. so that limited my choice to around 25Kg weight. I wanted a four stroke...I cant hear a thing when my two strokes are whining away at my back. Ok two strokes are light to carry but a pain to listen to and reek fumes. I wanted max horse power for the weight .. so found that I was targeting a 6HP engine. Any bigger and weight jumps to double figures. Yamaha had a cash back offer on in April.. so their 6HP was the cheapest of the reputable brands. The deal was done .. and I was now heading to Loch Sween to run my new engine in.

I arrive early to get the parking space closest to the slipway ... in the sleepy village of Tayvallich. The Guppy was assembled beside the car then wheeled over the road to the water on the transom dolly.

In the water..the outboard looked a far more suitable size for the Guppy than the tiny 3.3HP .. if looks count.

I left a pound or two in the honesty box for my launch .. then rowed clear of the pier ..while the lady opened her shop. The day was beginning to waken.

The outboard awoke with a single pull. It burbled quietly as I eased away from the shop. The lady never turned her head. I wondered if she would have shot me a dirty look if I had filled the still morning air with smelly two stroke fumes.. and broke the beautiful silence with a high pitched whine. I was already loving my new engine.

I passed through the rocky entrance to the inner basin of Tayvallich ..pleased that I passed the red and green markers on the rocks..in the right way. It meant I was in the channel...and not somewhere I could get into bother.

Run in instructions told me not to idle for long periods ..so I now eased the throttle half way open. The guppy easily rose gracefully from the water and went on the plane.

A speed check indicated that I was doing 13 mph. A big smile appeared on my early morning face. I head myself think.. yup Gurnard..great choice in outboards. You can easily go in the tide races of the sea now.

I kept the engine around half throttle and varied to three quarters throttle ..as my efficient wake skittered silently behind the boat.. leaving a neat white scar across the grey seascape

There were many things to see and explore in Loch Sween..but I was now on a mission. I was heading for the open sea. I wanted to land on an island in the Sound of Jura..that can have a vicious tide race around it in certain conditions. It was still spring tides..so to play safe .. I wanted to approach it at high tide. I didnt have time to waste.

With Castle Sween now far behind..I knew I was in the Sound of Jura .

..and heading for Eilean Mor..the largest of the McCormaig Isles. In the backdrop of the photo .. are Islay and Jury..both world famous for their tasty coloured water.

To be continued...
Old 21 April 2016, 11:55   #2

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Looks like a lovely setup with the 6 now!

Yet another brilliant story! Cant wait for the next instalment...
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2016, 12:37   #3

Hi Steve..yup..for a lone skipper ..its an ideal adventure size..and will get me most places I want to go.

Before crossing to the McCormaig Isles ..I had a brief stop to let the running in outboard cool.. and also to photograph this very cool bird. In the interest of its safety ... as it is a very rare parrot.. I am not divulging its location too precisely ..other than say ..its not a million miles away from the Isles.

I presume the parrot is awaiting its mate coming from Africa..to start a new family. There was no sign of its other half yet. I was delighted to see such a rare bird for the UK..but cursed myself for not having the long lens ..for a better photo. Luckily..I was 50 yards from it and the standard lens still captured it well enough to positively identify.

Now you don't see those kind of seagulls every day in life

To be continued ...
Old 21 April 2016, 13:11   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I left a pound or two in the honesty box for my launch.

Good man... I dropped a decent donation for the 2wks we were there last year... that very sheleterd slip plus handy adj pontoon are a great resource and a pleasure to support.

I like Sween and all such similar lochs that give a real feel of being on the sea but allow you to do as much or little as you fancy on the day.
Old 21 April 2016, 19:08   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Great pics gurnard good spot the parrot keep it coming.

Cheers
Old 22 April 2016, 07:18   #6

Thanks for looking in Fenlander and Jeff..its appreciated

In the west of Scotland .. the wind can often increase at full tide or low tide.. but this was not the case this time. The sea turned to a glassy mirror like smooth surface. The Guppy glided across to Eilean Mor as if in a trance.

Not long later .. I was in the safe haven of the islands natural anchorage..

.. and heading for the man built landing stage ..

..where I abandoned the boat and took a wee walk to..

... The house Billy built. ... which was originally a bothy ... and kept locked ...

..but is now left open ..and is an information centre for the island.

The island is now owned by the Scottish National Party (SNP) and they built the bothy. However ..long before their time in power .. Saint Cormac landed on this island ..and built his chapel..while living in solitude..in a cave at the southern end of the island. Its these ancient memorials that I wanted to explore.

While inside the SNP bothy..I head a noise which reminded me of a session in the Scottish Parliament buildings in Edinburgh. I went outside and watch a gaggle of geese ..honk and howl at each other as they came into land ..
Nicola Sturgeon..eat your heart out ..the geese have more to say than your recent policies. But I appreciate my political views can be away with the birds at times.

In the interest of trying something new.. I took a 1 minute short video of the Guppy floating along over the waves ..around 12 mph cruising speed.. powered by the 6Hp engine. Its on Loch Fyne ..not Loch Sween..but it will hopefully give you the “feel” for being in the wee boat ..floating along on a new adventure.

To be continued....
Old 23 April 2016, 10:56   #7

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Another great thread & photos.

That 6 looks ideal for the F-Rib - must be a huge step in performance, and more comfort knowing you have that extra power when needed.
Old 25 April 2016, 12:08   #8

Hi Lakelandterrier.. yup..its an ideal setup for my solo adventures

My reason for landing on Eilean Mor was to visit St Cormac’s Chapel and the other ancient sites on the island. St Cormac (sometimes referred to as St Cormaic) lived at the beginning of the 7th centuary. He founded a few chapels in the area .. and is reputed to have lived in a cave here which he used as his hermitage.

It always amazes me that these ancient Saints and Monks often crossed to small islands surrounded by treacherous tide races ..and went by coracle !! The Garvellaches also have an ancient Monk’s Beehive Prayer monument.. so it is not unusual for this area.

This is the entrance to his cave.. Historic Scotland had barriers over the entrance saying it was dangerous and now collapsing..so I didn’t go into it.

This is the view from the cave entrance..with the remains of the corridor walls leading to the cave.

On the highest point of Eilean Mor ..is a solitary cross. It is a replica of the original 14th centuary cross .. which is now preserved in the National Museum of Scotland.

Finally..I wanted to visit the chapel..built in the 13th century.

Im not religious..but I love spending time in ancient monuments.. trying to imagine the atmosphere of the place when in use. I imagined a small congregation singing psalms and saying prayers as a minister preached his spiel to those that listened...as I stood in the dark silence of the old stone walls.

The area was also famous for the beautifully carved headstones ..one of which is still in the chapel.

I left the island an hour later.. with a feeling that my soul was somehow cleansed by my experience..and I felt a pound or two lighter as I left a small donation in Billy’s House for the upkeep of these monuments of a long forgotten time.

I was now heading back to Loch Sween to visit a magical place..called the Fairy Isles.

To be continued ...
Old 25 April 2016, 14:20   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Lovely spot... That's yet another One on my "to do list" now Gurnard,Cheers
Glad you're happy with the New Boat,looks ideal!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 08:27   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Have you finished this one?👍 I was enjoying it but you seem to be of on other travels

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 09:48   #11

Hi Maximus .. thanks for commenting .. and im still delighted with the F-Rib.. I can be a hard man to please.

Hi Jambo..thanks for bringing the thread to my attention..I though I had finished this one..but I have been doing that many adventures lately..I lost track..and dont have time to write them all up.. but will keep some for posting later..like Loch Fyne..and Loch Craignish. However I do want to finish ones I start ..so here is the final chapter of Loch Sween..enjoy...

While Saint Cormac found his peace and quiet for meditation and prayer on Eilean Mor ..I find my peace and quiet at the other end of Loch Sween ..among the fairy Isles. These are a series of reefs ..rocks ..and small isles where many boaters find shelter in even some wild conditions.

However.. like any place of prayer .. it is not a place to take a boat on the plane ..it is a place to switch off ..get the oars out ..and either paddle or drift in this dream world.. and go with the flow.

For your troubles ... You will be rewarded with stunning scenery...

But watch out for the sunken rocks that will surely chastise those who think small boating is only about fast speeds and deep V hulls...

Take time to tune into the silence of the surrounding scenery...

Reflect on your chosen journey through life..

And just when you think you have found the answers to life ..a seal will appear ..

A goose will gaggle...

And a swan may turn the still silent lake into a musical bird ballet ...

Then don’t forget to look below .. and see the millions of small black starfish..unique to Loch Sween .. and its idyllic dream..

Only then..will you have the biggest grin of all on your face .. as you will surely have contemplated on what life is really about ..

Sadly.. for me... all too soon the fairy spell was broken ...and it was time to go home..

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
Old 15 May 2016, 10:07   #12

RIBase
A Run In at Loch Sween

Real good ending my friend. You certainly encapsulated the delights of the Loch in general and especially the Faries our favourite spot👍. The black starfish gives its name to the small bay/inlet just east of Coal Scottnish entrance. Great photos as usual.
I was out yesterday went as far down as Taynish turned went up to Faries and home it was really cold on the loch with the northwestly wind.
Cheers hope to catch up with you when David is up in August.
J

Old 15 May 2016, 11:43   #13

>>>sunken rocks that will surely chastise those who think small boating is only about fast speeds and deep V hulls...

Ha ha... we had a nose in there last year and retreated through lack of experience of the area. I said to Mrs F this is a place to first explore with a poly bottom and oars!
Old 15 May 2016, 12:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Ha ha... we had a nose in there last year and retreated through lack of experience of the area. I said to Mrs F this is a place to first explore with a poly bottom and oars!
I think anything likely to be expensive is charted, but I find the Yacht Pilots very good for that sort of anxious picking your way in. (Eilean Mor is similar actually as there is a submerged rock, and I always follow the leading lines in to ensure I avoid it).
Old 15 May 2016, 12:59   #15

RIBase
A Run In at Loch Sween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think anything likely to be expensive is charted, but I find the Yacht Pilots very good for that sort of anxious picking your way in. (Eilean Mor is similar actually as there is a submerged rock, and I always follow the leading lines in to ensure I avoid it).

The Rock was blown up by the army some years ago to help make the anchorage and landing easier. Unfortunately they did not succeed to flatten it but did blow a bit of the top partial success. The important thing about the Faries is that you have to watch the tide if your exploring right up to the top. There are many flat submerged rocks within Loch Sween and its approaches not all are charted makes for interesting rib/sibbing 👍😎🛥

Old 15 May 2016, 13:55   #16

>>> flat submerged rocks within Loch Sween and its approaches not all are charted makes for interesting rib/sibbing

Indeed and the neaest we've ever come to grief in all our time in smallcraft was on "Flat Rock" just NW of Kilmory Bay. It's on the chart but I wasn't relating where we were carefully enough to the chart and nearly flew onto/over it on the plane. Just a 6th sense and a change in the look of the water saved us.
Old 15 May 2016, 14:43   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>> flat submerged rocks within Loch Sween and its approaches not all are charted makes for interesting rib/sibbing

Indeed and the neaest we've ever come to grief in all our time in smallcraft was on "Flat Rock" just NW of Kilmory Bay. It's on the chart but I wasn't relating where we were carefully enough to the chart and nearly flew onto/over it on the plane. Just a 6th sense and a change in the look of the water saved us.

Indeed that's the one that catches quite a few out!!

Old 15 May 2016, 15:25   #18

RIBase
Excellant gurnard great pics lovely spot

Cheers
Old 15 May 2016, 15:37   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Excellant gurnard great pics lovely spot

Cheers

It sure is Jeff😎👍🍺🍴🛥

Old 15 May 2016, 15:52   #20

RIBase
We had a run down and a cupa in the cafe Billy ERR week.first time we went there we stayed at the we barn I see it's been done up now great place a must for anyone to visit with any kind of boat.

Cheers