Old 19 June 2007, 02:23   #1

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
A few Shots from Tobermory this weekend...

Another gorgeous few days this weekend. Cool and crisp. The water is up to a baulmy 42F or so. Sorry for the lack of action shots... there's never anyone around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living La Vida Loca.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	27880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear's Rump Cliffs.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	27881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear's Rump North.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	27882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufferin Point.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	27883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dufferin Point 2.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	27884  

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 03:47   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Nice pictures! You're looking smugger than a cat that just ate the canary, with the lovely fiance snuggling up behind you.
Old 19 June 2007, 07:40   #3

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Urmmm is that a wild wolf? or pet wolf?
Old 19 June 2007, 10:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Nice pictures! You're looking smugger than a cat that just ate the canary, with the lovely fiance snuggling up behind you.
I noticed that you had posted a shot of a beaver elsewhere PT, so I thought I should put up something as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Urmmm is that a wild wolf? or pet wolf?
LOL... Only in his mind... He's a Siberian Husky... Loves harrassing the critters up there, which has resulted in my becoming fairly adept at removing porcupine quills! We have gone from a three-dog home to one in the past 18 months (due to old age) so he's a lonely beast these days...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 June 2007, 10:44   #5

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
I need to move out of this hell-hole they call Great Britain....sorry, cant bring myself to call it that anymore....britain. There, that'll do. Any jobs going over there? Looks fantastic!

(political rant over..............for now)
Old 19 June 2007, 12:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
There, that'll do. Any jobs going over there?
They pretty much let anyone move over here Vince. We always need loggers, miners, igloo builders...

Seriously, there is a real shortage of trades people here these days. As a result, we are importing many from eastern Europe and elsewhere.

The areas where PT and I are taking pictures are about 2000 km apart, and there's a whole lot of nuttin in between. One of the things that I noticed about most of the rib.net pics posted here is the amount of boat traffic and "civilization" in the background. Of course, you guys have been building stuff for a little longer than we have.... And you have twice the population in a fraction of the space...

Mind you, there appear to be some beautiful areas there. I was last in Britain when I was 13, and since joining Rib.net I have developed a bit of a desire to visit...

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 June 2007, 12:36   #7

I agree, britain is a lovely place, its just that the gov is way out of line. Its being spoilt by a whole load of red tape that we are all tangled up in and tripping over. In the paper today, it says now a ban for smoking in your own home is coming! I personaly dont smoke, but that is going too far!
Sorry for going off-thread, Stoo, everyone that owns a legit business here might be feeling the same way! (imho, of course)
Time for some quality me-time, now where's me fishin rod?
Nice pics, keep them coming!
Old 19 June 2007, 12:51   #8

Quote:
... its just that the gov is way out of line. ...
Fortunately, governments change! Although around here, the rule-of-thumb is that the only government worse than the current one... is the next one!

Perhaps a nice coupe de tate led by a few guys in RIBS charging up the Thames would be in order!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 June 2007, 13:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I noticed that you had posted a shot of a beaver elsewhere PT, ...

.... yeah, but it wouldn't let me anywhere near it, ...
Old 19 June 2007, 13:54   #10

Quote:
I agree, britain is a lovely place, its just that the gov is way out of line. Its being spoilt by a whole load of red tape that we are all tangled up in and tripping over. In the paper today, it says now a ban for smoking in your own home is coming! I personaly dont smoke, but that is going too far!
Sorry for going off-thread, Stoo, everyone that owns a legit business here might be feeling the same way! (imho, of course)
Time for some quality me-time, now where's me fishin rod?
Nice pics, keep them coming!
Trust me, we've had our share of crappy, meddling, soviet wannnabe governments as well (though things have been looking a little brighter for the past year or so, but I won't get into that). My cousins who live here in Winnipeg spent a week or so in London last month, and absolutely loved the city and the people. Their only caveat was that they found the accomodations, restaurants & such to be quite expensive.
Old 19 June 2007, 14:31   #11

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Aw nooooew, don't get me on that political rap!( and sorry to ribnet as well for straying off the subject), real shame though all the lovely country and ocean that we have, i suppose thats one reason why i love the ocean it gives me a great sense of freedom, something that is sadly diminishing at an alarming rate in Britain. I could probably think up and write a book that i would call 100 good reasons why to get the f--k out of Britain, yer now theres an idea it may become a best seller
Old 19 June 2007, 16:04   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
And now they are trying to get rid of one of our last freedoms - that of going to sea with no hassle. Breath testing coming and next compulsory licences - then it will be speed limits and speed humps - whoops we have those already!!!
Old 19 June 2007, 16:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
...speed humps - whoops we have those already!!!

You're saying that Tony Blair controls the waves now??? Impressive....

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 19 June 2007, 16:26   #14

And from 2009 you will need a sea rod license!
Old 19 June 2007, 16:37   #15

Quote:
And from 2009 you will need a sea rod license!
Here's a few calming pics from last Fall. I hate to see you guys get all riled up!

The first two are on a boat camping trip... It's rare to see bears on the islands, but there are a few there. This was probably a yearling... Made us wonder where Mom was...

The other two are from Cove Island, including the Cove Island Light. It was built in the 1880s and was the last manned light on the Great Lakes. The last Keeper still lives in town. It would make a great cottage... I'm just not sure how to connect the necessary swivel fittings to the "head" I would want to install at the top of the light. Talk about a room with a view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wee Bear - Fitzwilliam.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	27887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Night out - Fitz.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	27888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cove Island Light.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	27889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cove Island.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	27890  

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 21 June 2007, 11:29   #16

Town: Chicago
Make: Hurricane
Engine: 50hp Yami
Hey Stoo, Rogan and I were just discussing the logistics of our trip up to Canada, mainly financial since working with sponsors has become a real pain in the . However, your pictures have really inspired me, what a gorgeous area. Do you do any underwater photography on your dives ?
Old 21 June 2007, 11:50   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That lighthouse looks fantastic - it would make a great house.

Loads have been sold off as homes in the UK. There are almost no manned ones left. There is one near us though - Nash Point lighthouse. It is only manned because they run all the Bristol Channel lighthouses from there.

It isn't really open to the public but if you ask nicely they show you around - stunning views!!!
Old 21 June 2007, 14:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirnie View Post
Do you do any underwater photography on your dives ?
Not too much anymore BB... Although I keep thinking I should start up again. The visibility is so great these days.. due to increasingly dry climate and Zebra mussels!

There are a number of good shots on-line if you Google up "Tobermory Shipwreck Photo"...

Quote:
I am not aware of any of the liights being sold. It is still in use of course, just automated. It's freshly painted and on occassion, there are groups use it. I think they were doing a migratory bird study out there recently.

As I mentioned, the last Keeper is still in town, and he will happily lend a key to the light to people he knows. It is a terrific view from the top!

www.wetspotimages.com
Old 21 June 2007, 14:16   #19

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Loupy Lou
Make: Yamaha 480R
Engine: 50HP
Quote:

Loads have been sold off as homes in the UK. There are almost no manned ones left. There is one near us though - Nash Point lighthouse. It is only manned because they run all the Bristol Channel lighthouses from there.

It isn't really open to the public but if you ask nicely they show you around - stunning views!!!
175 year old lighthouse opens doors to the public
14 May 2007: Wales' last manned lighthouse, Nash Point, opens its doors to the public in its 175th anniversary year.

Wales’ last manned lighthouse, Nash Point on the south coast, has seen a return to the regular traipsing of feet up its 37 metre tower thanks to the introduction of organised tours.

The tours, which began at the start of the Easter holidays, are operated by Trinity House with the assistance of the Attendant Chris Williams, an ex Lighthouse Keeper, his colleagues and volunteers.

Trinity House has a policy of making its assets accessible to the public wherever possible and operates 10 Lighthouse Visitor Centres at various locations around the country, and Alderney in the Channel Islands. In addition passengers are also welcome on its flagship THV Patricia as she carries out her duties maintaining buoys and light ships around the coast.

Nash Point Lighthouse has been accommodating visitors on an ad hoc basis for some time but due to the increasing popularity of visits it has been decided to formalise the visitor arrangements to make it easier for people to plan their visits.

Said Chris, ‘Nash Point is a beautiful area of the country and we had a number of requests for visits to the lighthouse which we tried to accommodate where possible. By formalising the opening hours and structuring the tour we are ensuring that many more people can visit and enjoy this iconic, 19th century, historic building which is still serving a vital purpose today: namely safeguarding the mariner from the dangers of Nash Bank.’

For those wishing to spend longer than a day at Nash Point the disused Lighthouse Keepers cottages alongside have been modernised to high standard holiday lets, or for those thinking about longer-term commitments, Nash Point Lighthouse is licensed as a venue for civil wedding ceremonies.

The station’s Fog Signal, which is no longer an aid to navigation, has been restored and is sounded occasionally, when weather and environmental conditions allow, for the benefit of visitors, wedding parties etc.

The lighthouse is open for tours on selected days until 30 September 2007 when, except for organised visits by schools, special interest groups etc, it closes for the season.

It is well worth a visit if you are up this way in the Bristol Channel
Old 21 June 2007, 14:19   #20

That's interesting. The fog horn is still active at Cove Island. It's 7 miles from my place, and pointing in the opposite direction, but I can hear when I'm in bed on those "dark and stormy nights..." Beats the sound of traffic!

There's more about the Light Station here: http://coveisland.ca/

www.wetspotimages.com