Old 31 October 2004, 04:08   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
1st Assist

Was out today and pulled into a small breakwater harbour that we stop at for snacks.As we pulled in we saw two men frantically paddling trying to fight the wind from pushing them up onto the shore.
Seems their engine had failed and were being blown onto the concrete blocks.
We threw them a line and pulled them clear of the harbour and into the open bay. They tried to start their engine but no luck. So I hated to leave them out there, as a call to the vessel assist would be a minimum of $160.
So we towed them back to the dock(about 2 miles)
I was a little disapointed though, that there was not even an offer of "thanks here's some gas money" or "get the kids some Halloween candy or something".
So we felt good helping out but it would have been nice to be appreciated as we saved them a lot of money.
So am I mean for thinking next time, "pull the person clear and out of danger and just offer to radio for vessel assist??
cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web breakwater.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	8953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web tow2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	8954  
Old 31 October 2004, 07:05   #2

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
as far as i am aware you could have been able to claim salvage, as you provided the tow, and the tow rope and pulled them from danger. not sure how you would go about getting the money though?
Old 31 October 2004, 07:34   #3

Town: Fareham
Yeh, I've heard of this before and I think it's discusting. If you break down you either have the option of a DIY approach or take advantage of some kind soul stopping to ask for help at the risk of ruining their day's trip.

I think the least people should do is to offer gifts to children if aboard the rescue craft or offer the price of a meal out if not. It makes you feel good and the rescuers feel good and more likley to help someone in the future.

Andy
Old 31 October 2004, 09:12   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I don’t think you should expect people to give you money for doing them a kindness and helping them out. Why should you want to capitalise on someone’s misfortune anyway?

Helping people is what we do.

Does it not give you an inner glow knowing that you assisted someone in trouble?
Doesn’t it make you feel good in yourself when you go to sleep at night?
There is no rule here that says the other guy has to do what you expect him to do. Although, I would like to think that I would personally offer something. However I would expect the other party to refuse (assuming that is that both of us were pleasure boaters).

Keep helping, you never know, next time it might be Bill Gates who, in unsolicited gratitude, showers you with trinkets and fame!
Old 31 October 2004, 11:31   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Got to be honest I have often stopped to help a motorist in trouble - my attitude is "maybe one day I will need help" - I never take money unless I have used excess fuel in helping them!!!
Old 31 October 2004, 15:41   #6

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Is very sad and says a lot of someones menatlity when claiming salvage from a fellow boater that is in need of assistance due to an unfotunate incidenmt. Is equaly sad though that a fellow boater does not offer to compensate (AT LEAST for the fuel that was consumed or say give something to the kids as you said) for the trouble you've got in to.

What happened to you today describes the attitude and WC mentality (will explain later what that means) of the minority (I hope) of people who are out there boating in mane areas of the World including the UK.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2004, 16:13   #7

Agree with both sides to some extent.
We were happy to help out and it did give us a good feeling .
At the same time it wrecked our plans as we were late getting out that day and had promised the boys to go 'beachcomb".
So it took up a big chunk of our time and then to get just a "thanks" and the guys turned away : seemed a little of a brush off!
They were boaters and should have known the trouble we saved them.
If it were me, I would have gone out of my way to show how much it was appreciated.
And no, I wasn't doing it to make a profit out of it. But the guys could see my boys looking bored and disappointed (as we had to tow slowly) so to say "here, get an ice cream for them" would have been a nice gesture on their part.
(But then again , I think their mind was more on getting their engine started!)
So will look out for just the Bill Gates's in the future!!! (just kidding )
But I knew I shouldn't have bought an all orange boat!
They all seem to think I'm the Coastguard
cheers Dal
Old 31 October 2004, 17:54   #8

Town: Dartmouth
........perhaps he was embarassed???
Old 31 October 2004, 19:24   #9

Town: Fareham
I don't expect any sort of payment at all for helping someone as I did ealier today when I and Zippy helped a Sailing crew get from their boat to shore at Freshwater. I also like to think that one day I might need help, but would still offer something in way of recompence for the assistance.

Andy
Old 31 October 2004, 19:43   #10

Town: romsey
Boat name: marlin monroe
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: honda 50
jewels

When new to ribbing our engine failed in the middle of Southampton water- right in the path of a supertanker! With minutes to go until our demise we managed to hail another rib who towed us out of the way.They were with their children about to go to the Isle of Wight but very kindly towed us back up the Hamble to where Sea-Start are based .(we are now members!) This took about an hour of their time of hard towing as it was very windy.We were very grateful and insisted they had some money for fuel and a few drinks when they eventually got to their destination.Although I would help out anyone if I could (as I have since) I think it would be nice for people to offer a token gesture if the 'rescue' is prolonged ,or to at least cover the cost of fuel.
Old 31 October 2004, 23:05   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
I shouldn't have bought an all orange boat! They all seem to think I'm the Coastguard
You might just have hit the nail on the head... it seems enough that you have a RIB sometimes!

We've done a couple of long distance tows for peole in different states of distress (although neither were as long as the tow that Dragon's Revenge once received from Hot Lemon... Cherbourg to Lymington @ 40kts+), and were rewarded hansomely for one, but perhaps the most prestigious was taking the Calshot Lifeboat crew out to the lifeboat at it's anchorage when their tender wouldn't start.

Dodgiest one I've ever done was pulling a yacht off a mudbank, on a falling tide and I was single handed on a shaft drive I/B powered boat. I've always carried a throwing line since then - no point in getting into danger to help someone.

It's all part of being out on the boat
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2004, 11:35   #12

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Helped loads of people over the years from a simple tow to dragging vessels clear of rocks! Even been over the side to clear various items from the prop.

Sometimes they thank you other times they don't.

Just the luck of the draw really, however I have had to be towed in a couple of times and it is embarrasing no matter how prepared you were!

I have had a days diving completely ruined to help a bunch of p*ssed yachties get home after a day soaking up the gin. They were the most un-organised, useless, thankless bunch I have ever met. No thankyou, no have a beer on us, no nothing.

But other times I've had more whisky given in thankyou presents than I can poke a stick at!
Old 24 November 2004, 20:14   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have to say you'd be surprised what a kindly act can get you, particularly after you tow the MOD police launch home!!!

Speeding ticket? What speeding ticket? Would you like a cup of coffee, .... you haven't told anybody that you gave us a tow have you?

Priceless!

Worth a 2 mile tow in anybody's books!

Chris
Old 25 November 2004, 07:45   #14

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I've assisted lots of.........

...........fellow boaters in trouble and whilst I have on ocassion been offered "a drink" I've always declined. I must admit it grates a little when you don';t even get a "thanks mate", however often people are so flustered and embarassed by the event it completely slips there mind.

I'm positive it will happen to me one day and whilst I'll offer I certainly would not expect that offer to be taken up.
Old 25 November 2004, 08:40   #15

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeydal
So am I mean for thinking next time, "pull the person clear and out of danger and just offer to radio for vessel assist??
What does your conscience says ?

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2004, 08:58   #16

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Furthermore........

..........what about a bit of, you know "Best of British", show them damn Yanks how it's done. If you're willing to fly the Ensign then you should act in accordance with all good things associated with the same. Anyhow, I'm sure the poor fellow in tow only thought it your duty when he spotted the name of your RIB !!!!
Old 25 November 2004, 15:37   #17

MeME,
that's one reason I fly the ensign, as I do believe it displays the "tradition" of the English and the ocean.
Unfortunately over here there are a contingent who just take their boats out to "party" a couple of times a year and seem to have no respect for others.
I really enjoy helping others and dont expect payment;but at the same time like to think that it's appreciatted.
And as for offering help in the future,I always will.That's one of the fun parts of being out there.
Was out last week heading out to the Coranodo islands when an emergency call came out from the coastguard for assistance from boats in the area.
Some swimmers had been swept out and couldn't get back. I was a little too far out to respond and unfortunately no one else was close.

November 15, 2004 Union Tribune Newspaper.

A Mexican lifeguard who got into trouble while attempting to rescue a drowning swimmer off a Playas de Tijuana beach was himself rescued yesterday by an Imperial Beach lifeguard.

The cross-border rescue occurred shortly after 2:30 p.m., when Imperial Beach lifeguards were notified that Mexican fire officials were having difficulty making the rescue along the rocky coastline, which was experiencing heavy surf, said Oscar Alvarez, an Imperial Beach lifeguard.

Using a personal watercraft, Imperial Beach lifeguard Jason Lindquist raced to a rescue site about one mile south of the border and was able to pick up the Mexican lifeguard with a rescue sled. Together, the two lifeguards recovered the body of a drowned teenage swimmer and returned the body to shore

Very sad day ;but shows you never know when you are going to be the one to need some help.
Dal