Anyone selling a add on tilt and trim unit like theCMC PT35
Old 01 October 2011, 15:34   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I've been watching B&O / Gumtree / Ebay for about 6 months and never seen a second hand one. Given how bloomin' expensive they are I doubt many people buy them and then get rid. If your engine was available with PTT as an option it is probably easier to find a dead engine with the same parts (similar sizes usually share parts). If like mine PTT was never an option then good luck finding a PT35 or saving up!
Old 02 October 2011, 10:00   #3

Town: Portaferry
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Yep been searching some time myself. Price is way to high.

If I was to manufacture a similar unit for less money what do you think peeps would be prepared to pay? I have access to a very well equipped machine shop, it is not worth making just one but it would be if say 5 peeps where prepared to buy. It may not have the internal actuator as this alone is $350 but it would have a marine grade ram with in-board pump and tank 12v which would more that lift any >50hp outboard. I would have to price it out. The inboard pump is not a big problem. What you think, email me direct.
Old 02 October 2011, 11:16   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
MI3GTO,

There are enough people here who ask about retro fitting PTT, and enough people who are buying Seariders etc where the "holy grail" is PTT on a small engine, that if it can be produced for 1/2 the price of the PT35 then I think you should find 5 customers. However would you get them to pay for an unproven design, from a previously "unknown" vendor? What happens if it develops a fault, or falls off the back and drowns an engine... ...all the more so if there is no prototype available at the time of placing the order. That said I'd certainly be interested to discuss it.

Also you're customers would be split into "clamp on" and "bolt on" engine designs. You would probably want to accommodate both.

The PT35 is probably "over specced" for what I need - I just want sensible PTT on the engine. I don't need to have a wider range of angles than any commercial engine would have had, nor do I need to raise and lower the engine height easily etc.

Not sure what you meant by "internal actuator", you've obviously looked in more detail at the mechanics than I have, but provided it works and is "safe" then I don't see a problem with it not being a PT35 clone. My only point would be it obviously needs to take more force than just lifting the engine - when driving at speed it obviously has a lot of thrust trying (in part) to push the engine "down"...
Old 02 October 2011, 15:30   #5

Interesting comments and food for thought. The engineering to produce a strong unit is not a problem convincing people may be. The hydraulic unit on the cmc is a self contained tank power and pump with attached ram they sell it separate to the pt35 but it still is $375 plus shipping plus vat and import way to dear I am looking around to see if I can find a separate ram with 5 inch travel and a 12v power pack to drive it at a good price. The power unit for a Bennett trim may do the job and they are much cheaper but would have to be fitted inside the boat with the hydraulic pump and valve manifold with a pipe to the ram. The cmc unit is fitted with limiters to limit movement I am guessing and to drive the gauge. Should be simple to replicate. Email me direct and we can discuss further. It would be great to get hold of one to see just what would be needed thought a direct copy would not be the intention as it would be designed to be hand built with off the shelf parts.
Old 02 October 2011, 16:46   #6

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI3GTO View Post
Anyone selling a add on tilt and trim unit like theCMC PT35
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/putting...tml#post358818

This may help. If you have access to a machine shop or have some tools yourself it should'nt be much trouble.
Old 02 October 2011, 19:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/putting...tml#post358818

This may help. If you have access to a machine shop or have some tools yourself it should'nt be much trouble.
Great info. I am intending fitting a TNT to a 70hp evinrude from a later doner unit this gives me a bit of encouragement still will seek out the add on unit to see if I can make it but I will look out for a doner TNT that might fit my engine is a mariner 30hp ELO 1998 anyone got one? Thanks