Old 18 January 2003, 21:53   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Inflatable Boat Trailer

No, not a trailer that inflates. A trailer for an inflatable boat. I'm looking for a trailer for a 3.4m inflatable boat please. Any ideas or offers?

Keith Hart
Old 18 January 2003, 21:57   #2

Town: Leatherhead
Welcome back Keith...

What's this - looking for a trailer.

You used to be a strong advocate of deflate and pack in the back of the car

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2003, 07:28   #3

Errrrrrr, well yes.

You see having TWICE been planning to take Quicksilver back down to Birmingham, and due to unforseen circumstances (ie. extra passenger/load), being unable to do so, I thought that the only way I can guarantee having the room, was to get a (oh, the word is sticking in my throat) trailer.

It will also slow me down so that I do not get caught on the A9 speed cameras!

Keith (there will be room for extra brackets as well) Hart
Old 19 January 2003, 08:06   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Keith

How about a roof rack if it's only going to be for emergencies?

If you resort to a trailer you'll have to use it all the time (or you're bopund not to have it when you need it), in which case you may as well upgrade to a RIB

John
Old 19 January 2003, 14:50   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Another thought.......

How about a small open-type trailer in which you could pack the (deflated) SIB, engine, fuel and all other acoutroments. You would then be ready to roll at a moments notice - just hitch up and go. They also have their uses for other things like going to the council tip, collecting the bacon from Tescos or even moving your alter-ego's props.

I once had a Snipe trailer for carrying my SIB (many years ago) but that was all it could do apart from being very useful for moving 8ft x 4ft sheets of plywood.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2003, 20:07   #6

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett

in which case you may as well upgrade to a RIB

John
Even more SHOCK HORROR!!
Old 19 January 2003, 21:52   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett

If you resort to a trailer you'll have to use it all the time (or you're bopund not to have it when you need it), in which case you may as well upgrade to a RIB

John
Now theres an idea Keith. Think about it. If you are going to be towing around something anyway.................
Old 22 January 2003, 16:47   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Alternativly a caravan then you have thebest of both worlds!! Alan P
Old 23 January 2003, 08:44   #9

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Keith

Trailer would be a great idea, one of the disadvantages of a sib is the time and effort to blow the vinyl veera thing up then attach engine etc

On a trailer you would always be ready to go, yet you would still have the advantage of a lightweight boat which you can lug around when launching with a trailer is not pos

I've often thought it must be inconvenient to pack a wet , dirty , muddy boat back into the boot of a car

You would also prolong the life of your rib by not being folded all the time & if you ever came to sell, it would be a more attractive package

You would get away with a jetski trailer, which is what I think the 3.1 avon ribs use anyway, should easily be able to get hold of one of these seconhand, a jockey wheel type and the ability to mount a winch would be usefull, reckon you could get hold of one for about 150 squid

New would be 500 squid

You would have so much more room by being able to store gear in the rib as you tow with a cover

Trailer = less effort = more time on the water = more enjoyment

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/p...=7&Submit.y=15

You know it makes sense
Old 23 January 2003, 21:08   #10

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Keith

I spent a lot of time looking for a trailer for my 2 SIBs - the first 1 3.3 Metre Yam, the later a 4.3 Metre Quicksilver, with the idea of blowing the boat up at home, then saving time at launch.

Indespension make a couple of models, but are a little expensive. I searched for a second hand one but never found one.

You cannot use a standard trailer, as a SIB needs support for its tubes - so most RIB / Boat / Jetski Trailers do not provde this.

My answer was to buy a small box trailer - a Daxara Model from Indesension, but the Halfords ones are very smilar. In this way you can carry the boat and engine in the trailer, leaving room in the car.

I then bought a cheap 12V electric air pump, which will put the volume of air into the tubes, leaving just the pressure to put in with the manual foot pump.

To be honest I found doing this took not much longer that undoing all the ropes, lighting boards etc etc from the RIB.

Also if the boat is wet and mudy you can stow it in the trailer without its bag and hose it off at home.

Hope this helps - if you want to try it with a trailer for a trip le me know and you can have the use of mine to see how you get on.
Old 23 January 2003, 22:24   #11

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
When I had a 16ft Zodiac SIB I got a box trailer and put tube supports ontop of the box sides. Everything (outboard, ropes, diving kit, fuel etc) went in the trailer - boat simply sat on the top (inverted if there were two of us to load). Personally I have never used a towed boat as a trailer, seen too many arrive with severe amonts of chafe (or in several cases actual holes) in them where ropes have stretched or padding has come adrift.
Old 24 January 2003, 08:52   #12

Wow, thanks folks thanks for the advice (keep it coming), this has been really interesting for me.

Phill, Graeme and Matiboy really sum up the three positions that I have been considering.

1. Box trailer with fittings for SIB (inflated) on top with engine and kit inside (Phill)
2. Box trailer with SIB packed inside with all of the kit as well (Graeme)
3. Purpose built inflatable boat trailer (Matiboy)

All are very good suggestions and all are viable options. So how do costs and details compare?

Here are my thoughts and personal considerations.

1. Quicksilver is kept at my home in Scotland, which is right on the beach.
2. There are several great ‘cruising/exploring’ areas within a few minutes drive with shelter from different wind directions. This means that if I can not launch from Hilton of Cadboll, I can usually launch somewhere within a 20 minute drive away (take a look at the map and you will see why).
3. I may occasionally take the boat home to Birmingham
4. I like to keep the boat inflated and in my garage (in Scotland, in Birmingham I do not have room)
5. If I am taking the boat to Nigg (for example) just 15 minutes drive away, I have to do the following at present. Get boat out of garage. Deflate boat, pack it away, load the car. Drive to Nigg. Unload car, inflate boat, set it up, launch it. Go out in boat for an hour or so. Deflate boat, pack it away, load car. Drive back to Hilton of Cadboll. Unload car, inflate boat, wash it down, park it in garage.
6. I want to be able to use the boat as often as possible with as less hassle as possible
7. I like to take the boat on regular trips over to the West Highlands coast
8. It would be an advantage it I could launch the boat on my own
9. Originally I envisaged using the boat ONLY from Hilton of Cadboll. I never thought that I would be brave (or foolhardy) enough to go on ‘adventures’ with it.
10. I can not afford to buy a bigger boat
11. I am happy with the boat I have (until I move up to Scotland permanently, but that is another story)
12. I need to free up some space in my Mondeo estate car so I can actually have the option of taking the boat back to Birmingham if I want to

Costs:

Box trailer, complete with spare wheel, lights etc. = £400.00
Box trailer as above with extra supports added = £450.00
Inflatable boat trailer, complete with lights, spare wheel (mounted) = £425.00

So as you see, the costs are about the same.

Now having written the above and digested it myself, I must admit that today I am veering towards the inflatable boat trailer option (however, I must point out that last week I was wavering between the two box trailer options).

Either way I have definitely decided on the trailer route.

I have attached a picture of the De Graaf trailer that I am considering.

Keith (can’t make his mind up) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inflatable trailer.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1616  
Old 24 January 2003, 10:43   #13

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Keith

My penny worth ...

I used to use an inflatable boat trailer not unlike that you picture.

It meant you could keep the SIB inflated and just float it off the trailer into the water just like the big boys do.

However it still meant stuff in the boot of the car.

If you had the box trailer with SIB on top then you can store all the ancillary gear in the box trailer.

OK the SIB can not be floated off the box trailer into the ocean without subermeging the whole box trailer but it could be reversed very close and this would mean minimal manhandling of the SIB to get it afloat and a nice secure box trailer for storing all your gear.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2003, 11:09   #14

Lateral thinking

Something for you to do at the Ribnet Conference in Plymouth
Bacon rolls for all.
Old 24 January 2003, 11:11   #15

Seriously now

Some ideas can be sought at this web-site . They are South Africa's best and most inventive trailer makers. This particular one has loads of storage with a roof-rack to place Quicksilver on and tie down.
Old 24 January 2003, 11:13   #16

Deluxe Model

Similar theme, but more snazzy!
Old 24 January 2003, 11:18   #17

Forgot to mention, had an opening tailgate on the trailer (meant it was, just, possible to add/remove kit after putting the boat ontop.
If you use car sized wheels (preferably the same as your car - no need for two spares then) the box trailer can tip at a fairly steep angle, so sliding the boat on/off is simpler than it may seem at first glance. But unless you're wearing a drybag and have one
h--l of a steep slip floating it off isn't really an option. I preferred a keel roller (bobbin shaped one) on the front top edge of the trailer and a winch on the drawbar.
Old 24 January 2003, 13:09   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Hey Charles that second pick looks like you could sleep in it :

A quick window/skylight in the top, an air vent and one of those tapered sleeping bags and keith has got his boattrailer and caravan all in one.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2003, 14:29   #19

Town: N.C.
take a look at this one...

http://www.sportsrig.com/
I don't know how much your SIB weighs, but this is a dandy of a little trailer.
Old 24 January 2003, 17:59   #20

Keith, pm'd you a descriptive cheaper option. Not being secretive guys, just it's a bit long winded.