RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Honda 2 HP outboard

Honda 2 HP outboard

I bought this engine second hand about four years ago for a sailing dinghy I owned. It got used for 2 trips before I sold the boat. I kept the engine intending to use it as an aux. for the new boat – but there wasn’t enough room on the transom and I have never found the time to fit a bracket etc. Having moved house and now having no garage it is cluttering up my father-in-laws garage and has to go. It will therefore be going on ebay as soon as I get some photos of it. I thought I would offer it here first.

Here is the spec:

Honda BF2 engine. 2HP, (short shaft) 4 stroke, air cooled engine.

Air cooled: no water pump to fail/need servicing. No need to flush after use. No water channels inside to block causing overheating.

4 stroke: no need to premix fuel/oil. Stored fuel lasts longer, with less mess.

Centrifugal clutch: prop only turns once the revs are on (prevents “being thrown forward” when the engine starts on a small o/board with no gearbox.

360 degree steering: no need for a gearbox for forward-neutral-reverse.

Prop: 3 blade, 7¼” (diam) x 4¾” (pitch) plastic prop very easily changed/removed.

Simple – virtually maintainance free: Pull cord recoil starting, transistorised electronic ignition, manual choke.

Engine details: 57 cc; carburated; single cylinder – 2 valves OHV; 5000-6000 RPM at WOT; 2.4:1 gear reduction. (giving a theoretical maximum speed of over 9 knots

Weight: 12.2 kg

Fuel consumption: Approx 1L per hour at WOT. Integral (1 L) fuel tank

Price: sensible offers welcome at this stage – with either collection from Linlithgow or shipping via courier at cost.

Condition: the engine has been little used (I have hardly used it and the previous owner used it on a yacht tender to go ¼ of a mile ten-twenty times a year for three years). It starts well and I have never had any problems with it. Test/inspection welcome. Generally speaking in good shape – but has some scratches on the case (from moving in and out of cars/storage). The prop has some scrapes on it (as you would expect from an engine on a tender). The plastic choke “switch” has been split at some point but is still perfectly functional (but not aesthetically perfect). Pictures will be available this weekend

I think it is a 1999 model – but I will double check this before completing any transaction. I should have the original manual somewhere also.

Anyone interested or who wants more info can PM/email me using the facilities on here.
Old 28 December 2007, 19:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Now for sale on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170181680022 if anyone here is keen enough to pay the buy it now price i'll post if free (within the UK).