Click Here to Login

Old 16 March 2012, 16:36   #1

Town: Devon
Boat name: Big Blue III
Make: Avon Adventure 580
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
HELP - Evinrude ficht 225

does anyone know anything about the evinrude ficht 225hp 2003 model engine with just under 200 hours
are they economical - reliable - any history of problems at all
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking at a RIB with one on.

Thanks
Old 16 March 2012, 17:05   #2

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
I have an Evinrude DI 250 from 2004, bought in 2005, and is build by Bombardier. Lots of improvements were made by that company.
Fights build by OMC should be left aside. I had a 150 from the late nineties and had lots of trouble with it. Even a breakdown at sea south of Brighton on our way to the Ribex in 2005. And a few weeks later again in the Netherlands.
The electronics were melted.

Bombardier gave the computer a separate cooling system and placed it behind the cilinders, instead of on top of the engine. This way the electronics stay cooler.

Bombardier started around 2001 - 2002. So try and find out if it's the right one.
I think it's OK.
Old 16 March 2012, 18:03   #3

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
We see more problems with the ficht than any other engine. They are a nightmare to work on even after spending a fortune on the special tools and diagnostic equipment. And to top it off the spares are well over priced. If you have a the option run away as fast as you can!
Old 16 March 2012, 22:08   #4
Dhf

Length: no boat
hI
I've got a 2004 150hp ficht with 976 hours use, At least that's what it says on the diagnostic print out, Which was done during winterising in January after being left tilted since september she started first time no probs, And sounded sweet as, As for economy I can easy get more than 1Nm per litre mid range and about 1.3 litre per Nm at WOT.
So personaly i recon my rude engine has prooved it's worth with only a few expected spare parts over the years, I do agree some parts are pricey, but arnt they all,
plus they take off like shyt of a stick,
Best of luck deciding,
Old 17 March 2012, 06:03   #5

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
In addition to my earlier post:
I'm very pleased with my Evinrude 250 DI from 2004. No problems what so ever, have done 500 hrs by now. Starts all the time, winter and summer while RIB is always outside.
Takes off like hell, has a very nice top speed and at mid range a good economy.
Bought the diagnostic cable/software and the Service Manual of my type of engine in the USA over the web. That comes in very handy at times.
After the disasters with my first Fight and the very good experiences with this one I can only say: Evinrude Fight, build by Bombardier, is a very good choice and every one who questions this doesn't know what he is talking about. Since 2004 I was in contact with dealers/fitters of all kinds of brands, Susuki/Yamaha/Honda/Mercury/Evinrude, and they all agree.
Old 17 March 2012, 11:10   #6

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I've had my 150 DI since 2007 and whilst there was a problem with the oil pump when first commissioned which cost over a £1000 to rectify at the expense of BRP it hasn't missed a beat. But to be fair I didn't have much history from before I got it and could have been sitting around in someones yard for quite a few months. Even when a cooling pipe came off a couple of years ago (though a faulty jubilee clip) it still managed to get me home. So all positive experience from me.

Just make sure it's a BRP one though!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote