Old 03 August 2015, 20:54   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Broken/Smashed Raymarine C120/C80/DSM300

Whilst we were in Devon my eldest managed to bend and break off two of the pins in the back of our Raymarine C120 where the DSM300 plugs in.

The moulded connector block/rear panel used to be available as a spare part connected to the PSU PCB but it's been discontinued by Raymarine.

So, does anyone have a broken, smashed or otherwise bu99ered C120 or C80Classic with an undamaged rear connector panel/PSU PCB?

The alternative is an equally bu99ered DSM300, as they have the correct socket fitted for the other end of the cable as a separate part and I could modify the C120 to accept it.

Failing this I already have an in-line 4-pin IP68 connector that I can modify the C120 to accept by soldering the tail direct to the PCB and having it hang out the back, but I'd rather not.

Thanks

Nasher.
Old 03 August 2015, 23:53   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I did exactly the same with one earlier in the year & sent it back to raymarine for a fixed price repair which wasn't cheap (about £150 ish) but it came back like a new unit & it's guaranteed might be an option if you can't get sorted as it's about lot cheaper than a new plotter
Old 04 August 2015, 12:41   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I've spoken to Raymarine a couple of times about it.

The first guy I spoke to whilst I was in Dartmouth told me to take it to a local repair centre and they'd send them a replacement panel etc.
He refused to talk costs with me.

The local guy was very helpful, but explained when he called me back that Raymarine had discontinued the spare part, if they could find one it would be @£255 plus his labour of £55.
I thanked him and explained I'd go without and add my own pigtail when I got home.

I spoke to Raymarine again yesterday and was told they might have a used panel hanging around which they could fit, but completely refused to sell it to me and send it to fit myself.

They told me if I sent the unit to them there would be an investigation fee, although it's obvious two pins are broken off, then it would cost me @£200 to supply and fit a used replacement if they had one.

Bearing in mind it's 16 screws to get the unit apart then 1 screw holding the board in I completely refuse to pay them over £200 for a used part and 5 mins labour.

I can make my own aerospace standard pigtail with gold plated contacts etc for @£250, so will no doubt end up going down that route.

Nasher.
Old 04 August 2015, 14:31   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Mine was a c90 plotter (i assumed the same plug) I just booked it in online for a menu priced repair got an email saying when it would be collected sent it off then got a call to say it was ready, paid for it & it arrived back fixed it was easy (but painful for a couple of pins) & didn't have to deal with a jobsworth sucking through his teeth
If you can fit your own bespoke plug you may be on a winner anyway as the pins look pretty femmer for taking a plotter on & off like you have to on a rib they look like there intended to be fitted once & left in place as in a cabin boat etc